U of Charlotte, Charlotte U.

I am not sure if this is an old and stale topic on ninernation that I just haven’t seen ever, but I was thinking about starting a campaign to change the name of our school, not just in athletics. I was just trying to get feedback from other people on here about that. I don’t like that name UNC-C. Some people say that having UNC in our name ties us to the “good” academics of UNC-CH but instead it just makes us look like a second-rate cousin school. Also in UNCC, the two C’s make me think community college. I think we should be Univeristy of Charlotte or Charlotte Univeristy. I think those name gives us more credibility for being the first-rate unviersity that we are with a first-rate basketball team in a first-rate city instead of the second-rate cousin-school that UNC-Charlotte implies.

It’s been discussed constantly over the past few years, but it never hurts to bring it up again, though you will catch some heat over from the opposition & those who feel that it’s a dead horse.

u of charlotte will come.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:14 PM [b] I am not sure if this is an old and stale topic on ninernation that I just haven't seen ever, but I was thinking about starting a campaign to change the name of our school, not just in athletics. I was just trying to get feedback from other people on here about that. I don't like that name UNC-C. Some people say that having UNC in our name ties us to the "good" academics of UNC-CH but instead it just makes us look like a second-rate cousin school. Also in UNCC, the two C's make me think community college. I think we should be Univeristy of Charlotte or Charlotte Univeristy. I think those name gives us more credibility for being the first-rate unviersity that we are with a first-rate basketball team in a first-rate city instead of the second-rate cousin-school that UNC-Charlotte implies. [/b]
once our Chapel Hill-jock-sniffing chancelor is gone, it might have a chance.

Good thread.

I am all for it. The interest is there. It would be huge for our University.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

THE University of Charlotte!!!

Occupy Campus on the Chancellor’s front lawn?

A week or so of a lawn full of tents should get the point across.

I’m all about the U of C! Even my coworkers who are NCSU grads agree that we should drop the UNC. They also admit that they’d commit suicide if they had to describe their alma-mater as UNC Raleigh. If the university was not in a world class city, I think it MIGHT help. For example, The University of Gastonia doesn’t sound quite as prestigious as the University of Charlotte does. Those who have never been to our fine state would still instantly recognize the University of Charlotte as a name, and not confuse it with the satellite campus of UNC in Charlotte.

Is it a dead horse? Well it’s definitely been heavily beaten. But if we burry it, then it will never amount to anything. Imagine if we just stopped arguing for football 6 years ago because “It was a dead horse”.

It has been said before but it should be repeated…

The name change will be far more polarizing than football. There are a ton of students and alums who simply cannot get it in their head that the name confusion is a negative. There are some who want the confusion. Believe me.

The only way we are going to get the name changed by A) getting a new chancellor and B) that new chancellor already has an understanding of the confusion and has the balls to end it without “gauging the interest” first.

I bet if you had a student vote like the one for football, less than 50% would support a name change. I’m not kidding.

^agreed. The push for the name change will make the push for football look like a walk in the park.

Durrrr but aint that a good thing fer people to think we’re thuh TAHR HEEEELS??

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:8, topic:4927”]Occupy Campus on the Chancellor’s front lawn?

A week or so of a lawn full of tents should get the point across.[/quote]

I freakin love this idea so much.

I still say that we not go for a name change, but rather a branding change. I think that is more likely and could be a first step to an eventual name change. There is a lot more that has to change for a name change than a branding change. The branding is what is really in question here. Look at Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech… the branding just needs to ignore the words “North Carolina at”.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte

I think this will be easier to get approved and should address a lot of our issues. Just like a name change, it will take a while to stick, but I think you can compare it with when the AD changed the branding of the athletics. The only people that still refer to our sports team as UNCC are confused by the difference between educational institution and athletics program. Additionally, steps have been taken towards this a little with the most recent academic logo that has “Charlotte” text bigger. Now just go to phase two and phase out the “NC at” and start changing references elsewhere.

After winning the football debate, why go after the whole mountain, when you can cut the mountain down to something shorter and more attainable?

[quote=“ChevEE, post:13, topic:4927”]I still say that we not go for a name change, but rather a branding change. I think that is more likely and could be a first step to an eventual name change. There is a lot more that has to change for a name change than a branding change. The branding is what is really in question here. Look at Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech… the branding just needs to ignore the words “North Carolina at”.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte

I think this will be easier to get approved and should address a lot of our issues. Just like a name change, it will take a while to stick, but I think you can compare it with when the AD changed the branding of the athletics. The only people that still refer to our sports team as UNCC are confused by the difference between educational institution and athletics program. Additionally, steps have been taken towards this a little with the most recent academic logo that has “Charlotte” text bigger. Now just go to phase two and phase out the “NC at” and start changing references elsewhere.

After winning the football debate, why go after the whole mountain, when you can cut the mountain down to something shorter and more attainable?[/quote]

I have nothing against this concept, except I think the path to this might be more complex and equally expensive than just going all out.

We had a student opinion poll a few years ago (2008/09 I think?). I can’t remember if they officially released the results but in the end, just under 50% supported a name change.