UAB football

What’s happened to UAB is pitiful - the kid sending in the $1 is the cherry on the top I suppose. UAB supporters must just feel terrible.

I just re-upped my 49er club membership and increased it a bit. Hope everyone participates -need as many under the tent as we can fit!

And Merry Christmas to all, and safe travels.

[quote=“NinerFutbol, post:181, topic:29110”]What’s happened to UAB is pitiful - the kid sending in the $1 is the cherry on the top I suppose. UAB supporters must just feel terrible.

I just re-upped my 49er club membership and increased it a bit. Hope everyone participates -need as many under the tent as we can fit!

And Merry Christmas to all, and safe travels.[/quote]

clt says “safe travels”? is that a clever reference to the end of the georgetowne game?

[quote=“cltniners, post:182, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerFutbol, post:181, topic:29110”]What’s happened to UAB is pitiful - the kid sending in the $1 is the cherry on the top I suppose. UAB supporters must just feel terrible.

And Merry Christmas to all, and safe travels.[/quote]

clt says “safe travels”? is that a clever reference to the end of the georgetowne game?[/quote]

Good one clt

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_reverse_uab_football_d.html

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:184, topic:29110”]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_reverse_uab_football_d.html[/quote]I actually think there is a pretty good chance UAB gets football back.

The fight against this has been intense and there has been a lot of support for UAB. A lot of towns in Alabama have adopted resolutions officially supporting UAB football. It doesn’t really mean anything, it is just a sign of support and could help sway the opinions of the legislators that are voting on these bills.

I’ll LOL hard if PBJ’s efforts to shut down UAB football result in UAB not only keeping football, but getting more autonomy. An on-campus stadium would just be icing on the cake. That happening might kill him.

[quote=“Niner National, post:185, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:184, topic:29110”]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_reverse_uab_football_d.html[/quote]I actually think there is a pretty good chance UAB gets football back.

The fight against this has been intense and there has been a lot of support for UAB. A lot of towns in Alabama have adopted resolutions officially supporting UAB football. It doesn’t really mean anything, it is just a sign of support and could help sway the opinions of the legislators that are voting on these bills.

I’ll LOL hard if PBJ’s efforts to shut down UAB football result in UAB not only keeping football, but getting more autonomy. An on-campus stadium would just be icing on the cake. That happening might kill him.[/quote]

Not quite the same but I feel like our drive for football took a turn for the better when Friday and Spangler basically told faculty and staff that having football here was a bad idea. The comment from one of them that if students want football then they should go to Chapel Hill really solidified our support IMO. Funny how the dominant group can really over step their bounds and move forward exactly what they were trying to stop.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:186, topic:29110”][quote=“Niner National, post:185, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:184, topic:29110”]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_reverse_uab_football_d.html[/quote]I actually think there is a pretty good chance UAB gets football back.

I’ll LOL hard if PBJ’s efforts to shut down UAB football result in UAB not only keeping football, but getting more autonomy. An on-campus stadium would just be icing on the cake. That happening might kill him.[/quote]

Not quite the same but I feel like our drive for football took a turn for the better when Friday and Spangler basically told faculty and staff that having football here was a bad idea. The comment from one of them that if students want football then they should go to Chapel Hill really solidified our support IMO. Funny how the dominant group can really over step their bounds and move forward exactly what they were trying to stop.[/quote]

Yes it is funny. That’s how most social movements succeed.

Watts: “I’m sure a question is - Will you reinstate football? The answer is we agree with our alumni leaders and others that an independent review of these data that led to the athletic department decisions is definitely needed. Only then can we have the ability to have a credible and constructive dialogue about moving forward.”

I don’t know about you…but I think i would verified the numbers before I made the decision to kill football. The no-confidence vote is this week, I think Watts and the BoT underestimated the support for UAB football. I hope they can keep the pressure on those devils, it looks like it’s having an impact.

[quote=“chidave, post:188, topic:29110”]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/uab_president_ray_watts_to_dis.html#incart_2box

Watts: “I’m sure a question is - Will you reinstate football? The answer is we agree with our alumni leaders and others that an independent review of these data that led to the athletic department decisions is definitely needed. Only then can we have the ability to have a credible and constructive dialogue about moving forward.”

I don’t know about you…but I think i would verified the numbers before I made the decision to kill football. The no-confidence vote is this week, I think Watts and the BoT underestimated the support for UAB football. I hope they can keep the pressure on those devils, it looks like it’s having an impact.[/quote]

Fantastic ( sarcasm) UAB has had their throats slit. they’ve lost their players and tons of momentum.
they’ll be starting over.
UAT wins anyway.

More dirty politics from UAT BOT:

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:186, topic:29110”][quote=“Niner National, post:185, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:184, topic:29110”]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_reverse_uab_football_d.html[/quote]I actually think there is a pretty good chance UAB gets football back.

Not quite the same but I feel like our drive for football took a turn for the better when Friday and Spangler basically told faculty and staff that having football here was a bad idea. The comment from one of them that if students want football then they should go to Chapel Hill really solidified our support IMO. Funny how the dominant group can really over step their bounds and move forward exactly what they were trying to stop.[/quote]

I bet they hadn’t been on campus for 15 years before they drove up from their homes in “Chapel Hill” to tell our faculty what was best for their university… a classic miscalculation on their part and a defining moment in the future of “our university”. So much politics involved to keep us in our place… but we are growing regardless, academically and athletically regardless of their attempts… their “greed is not good”.

Even if UAB gets FB back now, all their players are gone, it will take years to rebuild. PBJ got what he wanted.

As a show of good sportsmanship we should send them a few of ours. Like our Defense.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/uab_faculty_senate_passes_no_c.html#incart_2box

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The UAB Faculty Senate expressed a lack of confidence in President Ray Watts' leadership at a meeting Thursday morning.
During President Watts' 22-month tenure, the resolution says, he has failed to apply principles of shared governance to selection of university administrative officers, disbanding of the athletic programs, changes in academic operations and changes in faculty benefits.
"I wanted to do this in December so we could maybe get the (football) team back," she said. "We want a full campus life, and Tuscaloosa has no right to interfere with us."

One of the UAB posters on the CUSA forum that has generally seemed to be in the know about things has stated multiple times that their football program is coming back.

I imagine it will, but as FCS for quite a while if I had to guess.

I imagine it will, but as FCS for quite a while if I had to guess.[/quote]He makes it sound like it may not be gone, period.

They still have a coach and about 55 players, plus all the facilities.

If they play 2015, they’re going to be terrible, but better than not playing at all.

They may try to cobble together a 2015 season, but even if CUSA has to give them a 1 season pass, I’m okay with that. They are a founding member and it wasnt their fault.

That’s great news, the best person for UAB’s spot…is UAB! I know they still have a battle to fight, but this is a victory for the forces of good :wink:

I don’t believe this vote carries any real power except for the symbolic gesture. The Faculty cannot remove Watts, but hope to send a message to the UA BO[sub][size=10pt]roll[/size][/sub]T[sub][size=10pt]ide[/size][/sub] that they want him gone. My concern is that they will just replace him with another puppet.

I do hope that this vote helps gain support for AL Rep. John Rogers proposed bills to restructure the UA BOT and give UAB and UAH their own boards, more like the UNC system. http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/11/bills_aim_to_loosen_uas_grip_o.html