UAB football

Video from the meeting where they told the players. Players start getting emotional at about 4:00 in. You can hear guys crying.

That video is tough to watch, you can’t help but feel for all those guys (unless of course you’re Watts or on the BoT).

Agreed. Just thinking about this makes me sick. I just feel so bad for all of them. I really hope that something good comes out of this for them.

I think C-USA knew that it would happen. They were very quiet on the topic of UAB having to move West when we joined.

Western Kentucky would have never received an invite if the conference knew UAB would drop football.

2 things:

1. I get why some people are saying not to boot UAB from the conference. They are one of the best bball programs and all signs point to the fact that the school actually had no choice in the decision to drop football. However, all information coming out of the administration right now is that it was the school’s decision alone, there was no outside influence, and they know what the conference’s bylaws are. So, how can the conference allow them to blatantly disregard the bylaws without punishment. If the administration was forced into the decision, let them stand up and tell the truth; otherwise, screw 'em.

2. I just read the bylaws from 2011-2012 (couldn’t find anything more recent). If I understand the document correctly (I may not as I’m not a lawyer and I hate reading legal documents), even if a member in not in compliance with the bylaws the Board must vote to expel that member, and it must be a vote of 3/4 which comes out to 10 of the 13 members (UAB is the member under consideration so they would not get a vote). If the Board wants to amend the bylaws, it must be a vote of 2/3 which comes out to 10 of the 14 members. So is it possible that the Board wouldn’t have the votes to expel UAB and wouldn’t have the votes to amend the bylaws? If so, what happens then? UAB just lives on in the conference while breaking the bylaws?

[quote=“LoyalNiner, post:146, topic:29110”]2 things:

1. I get why some people are saying not to boot UAB from the conference. They are one of the best bball programs and all signs point to the fact that the school actually had no choice in the decision to drop football. However, all information coming out of the administration right now is that it was the school’s decision alone, there was no outside influence, and they know what the conference’s bylaws are. So, how can the conference allow them to blatantly disregard the bylaws without punishment. If the administration was forced into the decision, let them stand up and tell the truth; otherwise, screw 'em.

2. I just read the bylaws from 2011-2012 (couldn’t find anything more recent). If I understand the document correctly (I may not as I’m not a lawyer and I hate reading legal documents), even if a member in not in compliance with the bylaws the Board must vote to expel that member, and it must be a vote of 3/4 which comes out to 10 of the 13 members (UAB is the member under consideration so they would not get a vote). If the Board wants to amend the bylaws, it must be a vote of 2/3 which comes out to 10 of the 14 members. So is it possible that the Board wouldn’t have the votes to expel UAB and wouldn’t have the votes to amend the bylaws? If so, what happens then? UAB just lives on in the conference while breaking the bylaws?[/quote]

1. The authorities in charge of UAB (either President Watts or the UA Board) have made a decision detrimental to the conference. There’s no way they should be rewarded with continued membership. It’s not punishing the players, its punishing the administration for being tools.

2. In theory I suppose this could happen, but the vote will almost certainly be unanimous to kick them out.

I believe that UAB should be removed from the conference. At the end of the day football steers the ship. Without it doesn’t help the other conference members.

CUSA will have no choice, really. If they follow their bylaws. It’s what put us out of CUSA at one time. Right?

[quote=“SF4Nynah, post:141, topic:29110”]Video from the meeting where they told the players. Players start getting emotional at about 4:00 in. You can hear guys crying.

Wow. That was awful. That really shows how much is given by so many people in any program. From the highest level to the lowest level it’s the same.

Interesting reading

The UAB Pres. is an idiot. By refusing to name Bear Jr., & taking the heat, he’s the one getting threatened. Dude you have a contract, if they fire you, they have to pay you. At least get fired protecting the school, be a hero, still get paid, the FB program gets shut down anyway, but people don’t blame you. Now he just looks like a coward who cowed to keep his job.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:147, topic:29110”][quote=“LoyalNiner, post:146, topic:29110”]2 things:

2. I just read the bylaws from 2011-2012 (couldn’t find anything more recent). If I understand the document correctly (I may not as I’m not a lawyer and I hate reading legal documents), even if a member in not in compliance with the bylaws the Board must vote to expel that member, and it must be a vote of 3/4 which comes out to 10 of the 13 members (UAB is the member under consideration so they would not get a vote). If the Board wants to amend the bylaws, it must be a vote of 2/3 which comes out to 10 of the 14 members. So is it possible that the Board wouldn’t have the votes to expel UAB and wouldn’t have the votes to amend the bylaws? If so, what happens then? UAB just lives on in the conference while breaking the bylaws?[/quote]

1. The authorities in charge of UAB (either President Watts or the UA Board) have made a decision detrimental to the conference. There’s no way they should be rewarded with continued membership. It’s not punishing the players, its punishing the administration for being tools.

2. In theory I suppose this could happen, but the vote will almost certainly be unanimous to kick them out.[/quote]

Totally agree. Wonder if CUSA was involved with the decision? Need a quality replacement for UAB soon.

Hmmm… Interesting.

Also, dang - Lee Corso favorite one of my tweets about this… (kinda embarrassed):

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:155, topic:29110”]Hmmm… Interesting.

https://twitter.com/trlong02/status/540601959615856640/photo/1

Also, dang - Lee Corso favorite one of my tweets about this… (kinda embarrassed):

https://twitter.com/NinerAdvocate/status/539954314576658432[/quote]

clt just posted on MySpace.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:155, topic:29110”]Hmmm… Interesting.

https://twitter.com/trlong02/status/540601959615856640/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NinerAdvocate/status/539954314576658432[/quote]Not the real Lee Corso.

Thanks for crushing my dreams :frowning:

UAB fans, upset at administration, rush the court following 10-point win

More like walked on the court, but interesting none the less.