UCONN leaving AAC

Any non P5 school would be crazy not to want into the AAC. Iā€™m pretty sure their TV revenue is much better than any other non P5 conference & that in itself is a game changer. That cash would be a huge boost for our facilities upgrades. I did see an article from underdog dynasty from 2018 discussing possible replacements if Uconn left the AAC. Army, BYU, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, Georgia State & a few others were mentioned but not us. Hopefully Mike Hill has improved our reputation since that article was published in early 2018.

Never said we didnā€™t. Iā€™m just trying to confirm that if it doesnā€™t happen we can look at him or is it still that 30 year person? IMO we a logical choice to go in but thatā€™s simply built upon potential. Results wise we donā€™t deserve to be.

BYU has a sweetheart deal with ESPN so they donā€™t need the AAC.

Army is federally funded.

MWC schools must heavily consider travel issues vs a slight pay increase.

Outside of that any OTHER G5 would be crazy not to accept that offer.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-878014-post-16154987.html#pid16154987

UConn beat Twitter not debunking this at all. Interesting.

BYU would be good, but not close to any other school . I think the AAC will have another school onboard in a hurry since to is going to happen next year and they would want to replace for scheduling purposes.

I do not think this has been a secret so I hope we have been working on putting ourselves in a good position

BYU should be the first call, theyā€™ll say no. They have a nice deal with ESPN, many of their upcoming games with P5 opponents were scheduled with the understanding that they would be counted as P5. I would be astounded if they said yes.

Army would be the next call, it was a disaster the last time they joined a conference and I would be surprised if they said yes. If they did though then a basketball only invite would be extended to someone for balance.

Boise St is probably the next call, but theyā€™ve already said no in the past and I would be shocked if they accepted.

That leaves CUSA. I can not express in words how big this would be for football and basketball. It would change everything. I understand what you guys are saying we have to sell and am glad Hill is in place to try to secure this spot. I just wish we had a little more recent success to put in our presentation.

Also the wild card in this is who does ESPN want them to get? That will carry a lot of weight.

If if comes down to a CUSA school it will be between Rice, ODU, UAB and us.

I would take Rice out since I doubt they want to venture into Texas. Texas is a hard fit for most schools and I still think all of the non P5 schools should start their own conference.

ODU and UAB both have pluses and minuses. I think our others sports like soccer and golf will help some, but ESPN had lots of exposure in Charlotte so they could help us.

We could expand stadium in the off season if a donor would step up. I think most of our other facilities are good or better than most. We could use indoor practice field for football and will need to add swimming

NinerAdvocate summed up the argument against a MWC school being invited.

One of the problems of the current AAC is that the teams are far away from each other and there are few rivals. Charlotte has an instate rival and is in the middle of the footprint.

Charlotte eliminates the concern over finding one school for football and another for the other sports. Take one school for all sports.

Whoever is Charlotteā€™s (the schoolā€™s and the cityā€™s) product champion in the legislature needs to be accosting the UNC system Board of Governors, ECUā€™s administration, and Pirate alums and fans in the legislature to advocate for this. ECU has a $43 million deficit and games/matches against Charlotte will help close that. Virginia Techā€™s political pressure secured UVaā€™s support for the Hokiesā€™ entry to the ACC. Virginia was opposed to any expansion unless VPI was admitted.

Even if this opportunity doesnā€™t work out, it will help Charlotte grab the next one. Practice makes perfect.

So the exit fee $5.6 million (roughly)?

We have our school size, location, marketing potential, and city going for us. Itā€™s our sports teams, etc. that concern me, and THAT can be a dealbreaker.

The American is expected to indefinitely settle on 11 schools in basketball

1 Like

There are about 8 million reasons and way more television exposure.

clt bets this is a done deal. AAC on the way to SEC

ODUā€™s athletic budget looks more like an AAC school than ours does by about $10 million. That worries me, but I think the VA schools do math differently from everyone else.

If we get selected, Southern Miss and Marshall fans will kill themselves.

1 Like

Another reason to want this to happen.

1 Like

Decent quick reference guide on candidates.

Dammmmnnnn

Appalachian State: It has a strong football program, but itā€™s not an exceptionally large school with an enrollment of just over 19,000. Plus, as mentioned before, the AAC is already in North Carolina with ECU. Charlotte would probably be a more attractive option.

ODU costs much more as well, that inflates budget when you add that extra amount for every scholarship athlete