Uh-Huh Part 2

I just want to know what hole all the Hibbs bashers have crawled into? There are quite a few of you who don’t like him. Where are yall?

I’d like to hear from you guys and see if you think last year and this year’s wins are temporary, and does Hibbs have things on track?

[QUOTE=metro;229350]I just want to know what hole all the Hibbs bashers have crawled into? There are quite a few of you who don’t like him. Where are yall?

I’d like to hear from you guys and see if you think last year and this year’s wins are temporary, and does Hibbs have things on track?[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t his main basher your boy Whit???

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;229352]Wasn’t his main basher your boy Whit???[/QUOTE]

he is critical at times, sometimes correct…but not a basher IMO

I see some good “local” product producing this year for Hibbs, 3-5 draftees this year, if Mills keeps going he could be NCAA POY, nice stadium, momentum, ranking, etc.

I just want some fairness, he has got blasted but things are good right now.

Good to see Hibbs has this ship righted. Hopefully this and the new stadium will push Charlotte into national prominence.

he is critical at times, sometimes correct......but not a basher IMO

I see some good “local” product producing this year for Hibbs, 3-5 draftees this year, if Mills keeps going he could be NCAA POY, nice stadium, momentum, ranking, etc.

I just want some fairness, he has got blasted but things are good right now.

Hey, Metro. How much of a part would you say facilities play into the decision of a baseball recruit? In other words, what kind of impact do you think the new stadium will have w/regards to recruiting.
… just wondering.

You and Judy must agree on this one, seeing that she stuck with him through it all.

[QUOTE]In his 14 seasons at Charlotte, Hibbs has helped lead the 49ers to two regular-season conference titles, one conference tournament title and two NCAA Tournament appearances.[/QUOTE]

I just have to see how they do during the conference tournament. I hate seeing a team do as well as they are doing during the regular season, and then lose early in the tournament to someone we have no business losing to. That seems to be the M.O. for our sports teams. We lose too much, and too early, during the “BIG DANCE”.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;229378]You and Judy must agree on this one, seeing that she stuck with him through it all.[/QUOTE]

not sure if you are fishing here or genuine…but I’ll bite

as Ed Baldwin proved, all you have to do at UNCC is keep your kids graduating, in class, out of trouble, and most importantly DO NOT QUESTION her authority/kiss her ass and you can last a LONG time. Its a known fact among anyone associated with the dept. Ask the greatest coach in UNCC history- Kohlenstein. For that matter, ask any former employees. You gotta really wet your bed to get fired at UNCC.

she really didn’t “stick” with Hibbs. Where else was she gonna get a guy as knowledgable (Wichita St) as him- with our horseshit (old) stadium in a horseshit conference? She was lucky to have him. He has been very productive given the hand he’s dealt.

Now I’ll be crystal clear: if they perform like your referenced quote the next 14 years…that won’t cut it! Judy has stepped up and invested (bout time) and any reasonable investor wants a return, and he is already proving he can get it done when he has an equal playing field (no pun intened) with other D1 schools. I think you are seeing the tip of the iceburg- in terms of where this program is headed.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;229372]Hey, Metro. How much of a part would you say facilities play into the decision of a baseball recruit? In other words, what kind of impact do you think the new stadium will have w/regards to recruiting.
… just wondering.[/QUOTE]

facilities are 80% of recruiting in baseball. You will NOT get studs at a rinky dink park. All these high caliber kids want to play in a minor league environment- facility wise. They want to feel like big leaguers for 4 years. This has been my platform here forever. Get the legit stadium, and the LOCAL studs will FLOCK here. Hibbs can now compete with the kids looking at UNC, St, USC, etc.

I think the stadium is going to do more than anyone realized- because so much talent is within 50 miles and baseball is a sport where their families like to come watch ALOT of games.

[QUOTE=metro;229405]not sure if you are fishing here or genuine…but I’ll bite

as Ed Baldwin proved, all you have to do at UNCC is keep your kids graduating, in class, out of trouble, and most importantly DO NOT QUESTION her authority/kiss her ass and you can last a LONG time. Its a known fact among anyone associated with the dept. Ask the greatest coach in UNCC history- Kohlenstein. For that matter, ask any former employees. You gotta really wet your bed to get fired at UNCC.

she really didn’t “stick” with Hibbs. Where else was she gonna get a guy as knowledgable (Wichita St) as him- with our horseshit (old) stadium in a horseshit conference? She was lucky to have him. He has been very productive given the hand he’s dealt.

Now I’ll be crystal clear: if they perform like your referenced quote the next 14 years…that won’t cut it! Judy has stepped up and invested (bout time) and any reasonable investor wants a return, and he is already proving he can get it done when he has an equal playing field (no pun intened) with other D1 schools. I think you are seeing the tip of the iceburg- in terms of where this program is headed.[/QUOTE]

What about John Tart? He took the team to the final four, ranked #3 in the country, coach of the decade in C-USA, was super nice guy, professional, never pissed anyone off BUT he was fired/asked to resign? It wasn’t good enough. I put baseball and soccer on the same level at Charlotte.

Hibbs started out with a bang in that old stadium with I assume the previous coach’s players. Also similar to what Tart did.

I really don’t know much about the baseball program, other than what I read here and on charlotte49ers.com. Just trying to compare the program to our others.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;229413]What about John Tart? He took the team to the final four, ranked #3 in the country, coach of the decade in C-USA, was super nice guy, professional, never pissed anyone off BUT he was fired/asked to resign? It wasn’t good enough. I put baseball and soccer on the same level at Charlotte.

Hibbs started out with a bang in that old stadium with I assume the previous coach’s players. Also similar to what Tart did.

I really don’t know much about the baseball program, other than what I read here and on charlotte49ers.com. Just trying to compare the program to our others.[/QUOTE]

fair question, I don’t know Tart’s circumstances

Hibbs Bio at Charlotte49ers.com:

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hibbs_loren00.html]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hibbs_loren00.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]Loren Hibbs is entering his 15th season as the head coach at Charlotte, and the fifth alongside assistant coaches Bo Durkac and Brandon Hall. Last season, the Niners’ first in the Atlantic 10, Hibbs led the squad to a 18-9 league record and an appearance in the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament. The Niners are again picked to finish first by the league’s coaches (for the second time in two years) as Charlotte continues to earn respect in its new conference. In his 14 seasons at Charlotte, Hibbs has helped lead the 49ers to two regular-season conference titles, one conference tournament title and two NCAA Tournament appearances.

SUCCESS AT CHARLOTTE
Hibbs was hired as head coach of the Charlotte baseball program on February 26, 1992, and his appointment paid immediate dividends. In his first season, 1993, Hibbs took the 49ers to their first NCAA Tournament and guided them to their first-ever conference tournament championship with the 1993 Metro Conference Tournament title.

He led the 49ers to back-to-back conference regular-season titles with the 1994 and 1995 Metro regular season crowns. And in 1995 he coached the 49ers to what was then a school-record 36 wins, the program’s first-ever win over a top 10 team and the program’s first-ever votes in a national poll.

The 49ers first-place league finish in 1994 earned him Metro Conference Coach of the Year honors. During the 1998 season, the 49ers won a school-record 43 games and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second time. That season, he garnered Conference USA Coach of the Year honors.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;229415]Hibbs Bio at Charlotte49ers.com:

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hibbs_loren00.html]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hibbs_loren00.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

why post that?

facilities are 80% of recruiting in baseball. You will NOT get studs at a rinky dink park. All these high caliber kids want to play in a minor league environment- facility wise. They want to feel like big leaguers for 4 years. This has been my platform here forever. Get the legit stadium, and the LOCAL studs will FLOCK here. Hibbs can now compete with the kids looking at UNC, St, USC, etc.

I think the stadium is going to do more than anyone realized- because so much talent is within 50 miles and baseball is a sport where their families like to come watch ALOT of games.

wow… I didn’t realize facilities had so much to do with it in baseball. Interesting… thanks.

[QUOTE=metro;229350]I just want to know what hole all the Hibbs bashers have crawled into? There are quite a few of you who don’t like him. Where are yall?

I’d like to hear from you guys and see if you think last year and this year’s wins are temporary, and does Hibbs have things on track?[/QUOTE]

I’m right here. Don’t get too high on that horse just yet Metro. From 96-97 to 06-07 Hibbs record is a wonderful 280-265 with ONE trip to the NCAA Tournament, and that’s after the NCAA expanded the field to 64 teams to improve our chances of getting in. Facilities or not, that record should have been better given our location. This year the record is stellar, but it’s against the #192 schedule. We SHOULD be 23-5. The SOS is only going to get worse, too, playing in the #24 ranked conference. This team has improved, but we will still have to win the A-10 Tourney to get into the Dance barring a near running of the table. If Lutz had Hibbs record from 00-04 he would have been long gone, facilities or not. Time will tell if the facilities will help his recruiting, but if we can’t win the A-10 every year we have severe problems.

[QUOTE=metro;229418]why post that?[/QUOTE]

Huh? I was trying to educate myself and thought others may be interested since we were reviewing his performance.

[QUOTE]From 96-97 to 06-07 Hibbs record is a wonderful 280-265 with ONE trip to the NCAA Tournament[/QUOTE]
you are better than this X,
CUSA was/is the 4th best conference in America. Good god- you have some f’d up standards. I’d say .500 winning % is pretty good considering we were the ONLY CUSA school w/o the full schollies and bonafide stadium. Talk about one legged man in ass kicking contest.

[QUOTE]Facilities or not, that record should have been better given our location[/QUOTE]
You cannot expect a team with no stadium to compete in the old CUSA. Take a look at who they played and their facilities. Facilities are everything, you are living in fantasy if you think UNCC should of been better during that time. You realize what type of facility UH has? Ya think there is a reason they had (2) 1st round pitchers a couple years ago? Come on man, don’t be so naive.

[QUOTE]If Lutz had Hibbs record from 00-04 he would have been long gone, facilities or not.[/QUOTE]
??? wtf are you talking about?
that is about as invalid of an argument one can make. Lutz has Halton Arena and a killer office and practice complex to recruit with. Your argument would hold water -IF and only IF- Lutz played in the old Mine Shaft vs CUSA (the equivalent of Hibbs old facility the last 15 years). Then I’d accept your premise.

you have some unfair expectations.

Don’t have a lot to add here…but I think it is worth noting, along with everything else.

Coaches Hibbs, Durkac & Hall have worked together for 5 years now. I’m sure someone will point it out, if I’m wrong…but I don’t think Coach Hibbs has had this kind of stability for awhile before that.

Stadium is a definite factor…but I think the value of the 3 of them working together can easily be overlooked.

[QUOTE=metro;229444]you are better than this X,
CUSA was/is the 4th best conference in America. Good god- you have some f’d up standards. I’d say .500 winning % is pretty good considering we were the ONLY CUSA school w/o the full schollies and bonafide stadium. Talk about one legged man in ass kicking contest.

You cannot expect a team with no stadium to compete in the old CUSA. Take a look at who they played and their facilities. Facilities are everything, you are living in fantasy if you think UNCC should of been better during that time. You realize what type of facility UH has? Ya think there is a reason they had (2) 1st round pitchers a couple years ago? Come on man, don’t be so naive.

??? wtf are you talking about?
that is about as invalid of an argument one can make. Lutz has Halton Arena and a killer office and practice complex to recruit with. Your argument would hold water -IF and only IF- Lutz played in the old Mine Shaft vs CUSA (the equivalent of Hibbs old facility the last 15 years). Then I’d accept your premise.

you have some unfair expectations.[/QUOTE]

Life is not always fair, Metro. Hibbs made the NCAA’s with same stadium in 1998, so why was it so impossible to do it again? How did he lure, you, and All-American to the “rinky-dink” stadium? Why couldn’t he get others of your caliber to come play for him? Until the current rotation, he had only one great starter between 2000 and 2004 (after Baker and Treadway left). I know the kids with 90+ mph fastballs get drafted or go to “premier” programs, but some of the pitching he had was not DI level. Poor facilities or not, recruiting of pitching was even worse.

Team ERA’s 2001-2006 vs Strength of Schedule

2001: 6.03 SOS - 78
2002: 6.66 SOS - 59
2003: 5.94 SOS - 98
2004: 6.03 SOS - 90
2005: 5.41 SOS - 139
2006: 3.50 SOS - 229
2007: 2.60 SOS - 192

The pitching has gotten better over the last two seasons, but it’s also been against weaker competition. When you’re not getting results you can’t always lay the excuse “I need a bigger and better office” to get those results. As I said, prove me wrong over the next three years with the new stadium. With the new stadium, though, I hope the Athletic Department raises expectations of NCAA Appearances EVERY season at worst so we will not continue to toil in mediocrity. With the baseball conference at the level it’s at, we should not have a problem getting in.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;229455]Don’t have a lot to add here…but I think it is worth noting, along with everything else.

Coaches Hibbs, Durkac & Hall have worked together for 5 years now. I’m sure someone will point it out, if I’m wrong…but I don’t think Coach Hibbs has had this kind of stability for awhile before that.

Stadium is a definite factor…but I think the value of the 3 of them working together can easily be overlooked.[/QUOTE]

good point. Brandon and Bo are great coaches. I do not know the paygrade now, but a few years ago, those positions were +/-30k per year. Hence the revolving door.