UMass-A10 exposure

UMass of A10 B-Ball Fame in our conference is being promoted by ESPN as having a battle of 4-0 unbeatens w/ #12 BC. UMass is #2 in 1-aa.
ESPN asks will this be an App repeat? It would be good exposure for the A-10 & the football quest of Charlotte in general if our conference breathren beat BC.
Also, our old enemy Cincy is 4-0. Damn it.

UMass of A10 B-Ball Fame in our conference is being promoted by ESPN as having a battle of 4-0 unbeatens w/ #12 BC. UMass is #2 in 1-aa. ESPN asks will this be an App repeat? It would be good exposure for the A-10 & the football quest of Charlotte in general if our conference breathren beat BC. Also, our old enemy Cincy is 4-0. Damn it.

They did lose to App in the championship last year.

But they are in the CAA!!! Not the A-10!!!

[QUOTE=shagg49er;260182]They did lose to App in the championship last year.

But they are in the CAA!!! Not the A-10!!![/QUOTE]
To clarify, they are in the A10 for everything but football and in the CAA for football. Most A10 football teams play in the CAA.

Since we have to start off in D1-AA, CAA for football is not a bad option. That’s probably our best option for “early football” since it does not jeopardize our membership in the A10 for basketball. If the Big East or CUSA wants us after we jump to D1, then I say we jump all over it.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;260182]They did lose to App in the championship last year.

But they are in the CAA!!! Not the A-10!!![/QUOTE]

To be fair to ol’ SCK, UMass played in the [B][URL=http://atlantic10.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/atl10-m-footbl-body.html]A-10 football conference[/URL][/B] when they lost to App in the championship. Last year was the final year of the conference.

The potential of both Richmond and Charlotte coming to the CAA has been discussed over here. We are not real big on Richmond though…Charlotte with football is another matter.

[URL]http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68174[/URL]

A couple of other football items yall might be interested in…

[URL]http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/09/27/gastate_0928.html[/URL]

[URL]http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=133335&ran=44452[/URL]

We may play football in the CAA if we cannot play in the Southern conference, but we would be foolish to join the CAA for other sports. It won’t happen.

Also, I think there are some valid points on that thread about past history and our directions:

1. We said No before. We won’t suddenly say yes.
  2. VCU may not want us (bad blood)
  3. We are only planning to play FCS short term
  4. Do you really want a program (all sports) that intends to bolt for 1A ASAP?

[QUOTE=ODU1986;260229]The potential of both Richmond and Charlotte coming to the CAA has been discussed over here. We are not real big on Richmond though…Charlotte with football is another matter.

[URL]http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68174[/URL][/QUOTE]

It’s a pretty good discussion. I have to agree with this post:

[QUOTE]Re: Will UR basketball return to the CAA?

by BradRamFan on September 23, 2007, 01:57:47 AM
They fit in better with the A10 which is why they left in the first place…a bunch of private schools. And things go in cycles so I feel they will begin to move back up IF they made the right choice in Mooney. Plus A10 basketball still has more clout than the CAA…just look at where their bball league is ranked and where our league is ranked.

That doesn’t mean I don’t like the CAA. What has been the burden on our league is Towson, GSU, W&M, and certainly JMU. I think all but W&M have really tried to move forward and up…certainly Towson has done a good job and under Barnes I hope GSU will also. Not really sure about JMU…they were in such a deep hole to begin with after Sherm and they brought Keener, a brand new head coach, into a very difficult situation. Not sure where they will pan out over the next year or two but they have been down for a long time unfortunately. Most unfortunate however is W&M, whose administration appears very happy just to reach somewhere in middle CAA territory. I just don’t seem them every being a consistent high level competitor. But what has really hurt the CAA is that our bottom dwellers are not just CAA bottom dwellers, they are division I bottom dwellers…and we have several of them. That really hurts our rankings IMO.

Our conference can have several top 100 teams yet we can also have several sub 275 ranked teams. That is a very wide level and tends to hurt the conference. Someone has to be at the bottom of the conference but it would be nice to see the lowest team somewhere around 200 and not sub 300. And because we play each other year after year the coaches get to know the coaching strategies of other coaches which makes winning against other CAA conference teams all the more difficult. They say that on any given day a team can win. But if one of the top teams loses to one of our cellar dwellers…just one game…it almost completely rules out a post season bid…look at Drexel last year.

Anyway, sorry I got off topic but I don’t see UR trying to come back to the CAA[/QUOTE]

It’s bad enough that we have St. Bonaventure in our conference. Why go to a conference where there are several ‘St Bonaventures’?

The CAA does have several good teams on the top (including ODU) and I always root for your conference to get as many tournament bids as you can get. Keep your top teams strong and maybe we’ll hook up in a future conference after the next shake-up.

I know they’re CAA now in Football, but they are A-10 in sports that involve US.