@ UMass: Men Behaving Badly

October 6, 2006
Two UMass basketball players arrested after downtown Amherst brawl (UPDATED)
Posted At : 10:51 AM | Posted By : newsroom
Related Categories: UMass, Sports, News, Amherst
By MATT VAUTOUR and SCOTT MERZBACH
Staff Writers
AMHERST – University of Massachusetts sophomore point guard Chris Lowe, 19, and junior walk-on Nana Ampim, 20, were both arrested early Friday morning on charges of disorderly conduct following a fight outside Amherst’s downtown bars.

Police broke up a fight between nine people in which one man on the ground was being kicked and punched, police said. Andrew Martin Walker Jr., 21, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was also arrested at the same time and place on a charge of disorderly conduct, police said.

The victim, who had some blood and cuts on his face and body, denied needing any medical attention.

Police said they spent about 10 minutes bringing the fight under control before making the arrests.

The three men will be arraigned on Tuesday.

UMass assistant athletic director for media relations Jason Yellin released a brief statement on behalf of the UMass athletic department. “We’re aware of the situation and have no comment at this time,” he said.

Men’s basketball coach Travis Ford did not make a statement Friday.

Lowe, a point guard from Mount Vernon, N.Y. averaged 5.5 points and 4.9 assists in a team-high 31.0 minutes per game last year as a freshman.

If past incidents are any indication, Lowe is unlikely to be suspended. In March, then-junior forward Stephane Lasme was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest prior to the Atlantic 10 Tournament. In the next game, he was taken out of the starting lineup, but played 35 minutes.

Ampim, a walk-on from London, England, has appeared in only five games over two seasons.

See more UMass coverage, including a frequently updated UMass sports blog.

[B]If past incidents are any indication, Lowe is unlikely to be suspended. In March, then-junior forward Stephane Lasme was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest prior to the Atlantic 10 Tournament. In the next game, he was taken out of the starting lineup, but played 35 minutes.[/B]

See more UMass coverage, including a frequently updated UMass sports blog.

ugh…

Welcome to the gang!

[QUOTE][B]UD’s Plummer accused of DUI
Court records show junior forward was stopped early Friday morning; he’s been suspended from the team.[/B]
By Doug Harris, Dayton Daily News Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 04, 2006

DAYTON — University of Dayton basketball player Norman Plummer was arrested and cited with drunken driving and failure to control after hitting a telephone pole while riding with teammate Charles Little early Friday morning.

Plummer, a junior forward who averaged 10 points and a team-high 6.5 rebounds last season, was stopped at 2:30 a.m. at Alberta and Rogge streets by UD police. The Fairfield native also was cited for driving under suspension and a seat-belt violation, according to a Dayton Municipal Court report.

Plummer, 22, who is scheduled to appear in court Friday, has been suspended indefinitely from the team. He said he was making a food run after attending campus parties.

“I never should have gotten in the car and drove,” he said. “There were some people on the street, and I swerved not to hit them, and I side-swiped a telephone pole.”

Plummer said his blood-alcohol level was 0.10. In Ohio, the legal limit is 0.08. Plummer also said he didn’t realize he was driving with a suspended license.

“My lawyer is fighting that,” he said.

UD coach Brian Gregory won’t address Plummer’s future before the legal process has run its course.

“I’m disappointed in Norman Plummer and this situation,” Gregory said, “and he’ll be facing disciplinary actions according to team policy and university and athletic administration regulations.”

Plummer, also was cited for public intoxication at 2:45 a.m. on Aug. 20, 2005, in front of Timothy’s bar on Brown Street.

The UD Police report of the 2005 incident said Plummer was “highly intoxicated, (had a) strong odor of alcohol from (his) breath, blood-shot eyes and slurry speech.”

The case was dismissed on Sept. 29, and Plummer said he was forced to do 25 hours of community service.

He said he doesn’t believe two alcohol arrests indicate a pattern.

“Throughout my life, I’ve made bad decisions. But they were almost a year apart. And now I know I don’t need alcohol. I’ve made life changes. This has opened my eyes,” he said.

Asked about Gregory’s reaction, Plummer said: “He didn’t take it too well. He wants me to have this be a learning experience.”[/QUOTE]
BAC is 0.149 and pleads not guilty. :confused:

[QUOTE][B]UD’s Plummer pleads not guilty to DUI charge[/B]
By Doug Harris, Dayton Daily News Staff Writer
Friday, October 06, 2006

DAYTON — University of Dayton basketball player Norman Plummer pleaded not guilty to drunken driving and other charges in Dayton Municipal Court on Thursday.

A trial date will be set later.

Plummer, who averaged 10 points and a team-high 6.5 rebounds last season, was cited for operating a vehicle while impaired, driving under suspension, failure to control and a seat-belt violation after hitting a utility pole at the intersection of Alberta and Rogge streets at 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

According to the UD police report, Plummer’s blood-alcohol level was 0.149, nearly twice the legal limit. While being questioned about the accident by police, Plummer was swaying, had slurred speech and seemed disoriented, the report indicated.

When he failed a field-sobriety test, he was handcuffed and taken to the UD police station.

The Ford Focus he was driving suffered heavy damage to the front driver’s side, and the utility pole was pushed off center, the report said. Plummer was bleeding from his lower lip, while teammate Charles Little, who was a passenger in the car, had a cut on his forehead.

Plummer’s license had been suspended because of failure to pay a previous citation. He was fined $90 by Beavercreek police on Aug. 2 for failure to yield the right of way by a pedestrian.

Fairborn Municipal Court sent him a notice that his license was canceled Aug. 14.[/QUOTE]

[quote]He said he doesn’t believe two alcohol arrests indicate a pattern.

“Throughout my life, I’ve made bad decisions. But they were almost a year apart. And now I know I don’t need alcohol. I’ve made life changes. This has opened my eyes,” he said.[/QUOTE]

:huh:

Plummer also said he didn't realize he was driving with a suspended license.

Are you serious?

.149 is dangerously closing in a double…

“WHAT A BUNCH OF THUGS!”
----- Dave “Jaggz” Jageler

Huggins is drooling over these guys…

:silly:

Huggins is drooling over these guys...

:silly:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9707081

[B][QUOTE]
7. Cartier Martin (Kansas State): If you have to get suspended for a violation of team rules, it’s best to do it in the summer, like Martin did. That way you don’t have to miss any games, and the suspension amounts to little more than nothing, if that much. Come the start of the season, the 6-8 senior will be officially reinstated. That’s good news for Kansas State, and 18.0 points per game it won’t have to find somewhere else.
[/QUOTE]

Nah. Huggins wants his players to get suspended earlier in the summer.[/B]

TRUTH

So I guess Ford operates like Lutz in terms of discipline.

Two UMass basketball players arrested
By NANCY H. GONTER
ngonter@repub.com

AMHERST – Two University of Massachusetts basketball players were arrested early this morning after a fight and are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Eastern Hampshire District Court.

Nana O. Ampim, 20, who has addresses in Kendall Park, N.J., and London, England, and Christopher C. Lowe Jr., 19, of Mount Vernon, N.J., were arrested shortly after 1 a.m. and charged with disorderly conduct.

A police officer on duty in downtown had his attention drawn to a fight in front of the Starbucks coffee shop, 71 North Pleasant St., and he observed at least nine people involved in punching and kicking a 21-year-old Lawrence man, according to police reports.

Ampim, Lowe and a third man, Andrew Martin Walker Jr., 21, of Brooklyn, N.Y., were arrested after they failed to obey a police officer’s commands to stop fighting, police said.

The victim, who suffered cuts and bruises, declined medical attention, police said.

Stupid!!!
They wouldn’t even have been arrested just for fighting. . .disobeying the lawman will get you sent to the pokey every time.