UMass to study Div I-A football

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/umstory.cfm?id_no=48070 (registration reqā€™d)

The University of Massachusetts board of trustees has created another task force that will investigate whether the school should upgrade the school's football program to Division I Bowl Subdivision, the new title for what was formerly Division I-A. ... This will mark the third time in the past 10 years that UMass, which currently competes in the Division I Championship Subdivision (formerly Division 1-AA), has considered upgrading the program to the top tier of college football.

A study by the Chicago-based consulting firm of Grenzenbach Glier & Associates in 2003 recommended that UMass maintain its current level of football and revisit a potential upgrade later.

ā€œWe believe that sufficient time has passed for us to take another and perhaps definitive look at this issue,ā€ Carlin said. ā€œWe want to hear from all parties and then make the very best recommendation and decision for the University of Massachusetts.ā€
ā€¦
Trustee Kenneth A. MacAfee will chair the task force. MacAfee, an oral surgeon, was an All-American football player at Notre Dame in 1977 and briefly played for the San Francisco 49ers. He was named to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997.
ā€¦
UMass also would need to find a conference in which to compete, and Big East officials have previously said they have no interest in adding the Minutemen.

I tried to limit the words so I wonā€™t get accused of copyright violations for pasting the entire article. Mike P has me all paranoid now! :shades:

so if they make the jump to Div 1A does that mean they leave our conference? or become an independent in Football and remain in the A10 for all of their other sports?

what conference could they really go to? The BE doesnā€™t want them, no other BCS conferences make sense and there really arenā€™t any other DI-A football conferences that they could join in the area. Conference USA is really the only other one that I can think of that would sorta work out, but even that would be a stretch.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;245686]what conference could they really go to? The BE doesnā€™t want them, no other BCS conferences make sense and there really arenā€™t any other DI-A football conferences that they could join in the area. Conference USA is really the only other one that I can think of that would sorta work out, but even that would be a stretch.[/QUOTE]
Why does the Best East not want them?

Food for thoughtā€¦

The Atlantic 10 gave away their Div 1AA football conference to the CAA this year. The news of UMass looking to move to Div 1A directly followed the Florida meetings with Judy Rose and the rest of the ADs. Imagine if the Atlantic 10 decided to start a Division 1A football conference in the near futureā€¦

Who would you pick as founding members? Minimum 6 teams.

Food for thought....

The Atlantic 10 gave away their Div 1AA football conference to the CAA this year. The news of UMass looking to move to Div 1A directly followed the Florida meetings with Judy Rose and the rest of the ADs. Imagine if the Atlantic 10 decided to start a Division 1A football conference in the near futureā€¦

Who would you pick as founding members? Minimum 6 teams.

interesting thought, but there are only 3 football teams in the CAA

UMASS, RI, and Richmond.

I donā€™t see RI and Richmond moving to Division I-A anytime soon. The big east needs two more teams to get a bowl, Umass could be one of them, but like it was said earlier, I just donā€™t see that direction happening.

I think a good place Umass could go to is the MAC, they would make the 14th team. Most of those teams are in the Ohio Valley area, but they also have Temple and Buffalo. Good football there too.

[QUOTE=ninerID;245696]interesting thought, but there are only 3 football teams in the CAA

UMASS, RI, and Richmond.

I donā€™t see RI and Richmond moving to Division I-A anytime soon. The big east needs two more teams to get a bowl, Umass could be one of them, but like it was said earlier, I just donā€™t see that direction happening.

I think a good place Umass could go to is the MAC, they would make the 14th team. Most of those teams are in the Ohio Valley area, but they also have [B]Temple[/B] and Buffalo. Good football there too.[/QUOTE]

and also the worst football in the entire D 1A

[QUOTE=ninerID;245696]interesting thought, but there are only 3 football teams in the CAA

UMASS, RI, and Richmond.

I think a good place Umass could go to is the MAC, they would make the 14th team. Most of those teams are in the Ohio Valley area, but they also have Temple and Buffalo. Good football there too.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m just trying to start a useless argument for the offseason.

If the UMass football commission decided that they would let a NNN member construct a D1A conference for them - who would be the first 5+ schools that you would call? Hereā€™s a quickie example:

UMass
Temple
Charlotte
Buffalo (football only)
App State (football only)
Old Dominion (football only)

[QUOTE=survivor45;245708]Iā€™m just trying to start a useless argument for the offseason.

If the UMass football commission decided that they would let a NNN member construct a D1A conference for them - who would be the first 5+ schools that you would call? Hereā€™s a quickie example:

UMass
Temple
Charlotte
Buffalo (football only)
Old Dominion (football only)[/QUOTE]

Nahā€¦

UMass
Charlotte
Tennessee
Ohio State
Florida
Notre Dame

Thereā€¦ Those will do.

Other possibilities would be USC and UGAā€¦ That would assure us some home game sellouts.

Ok, howā€™s that for a useless off-season argument?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;245712]Nahā€¦

UMass
Charlotte
Tennessee
Ohio State
Florida
Notre Dame

Thereā€¦ Those will do.

Other possibilities would be USC and UGAā€¦ That would assure us some home game sellouts.

Ok, howā€™s that for a useless off-season argument?[/QUOTE]

not exactly feasible but i do appreciate that list a lot better than idā€™s no offense id haha.

Have any of you looked at Richmondā€™s Football History? Heck, just look recently, they are not looking at division 1-A right now, but that is a team that football wise is up ther every year.

I'm just trying to start a useless argument for the offseason.

UMass
Temple
Charlotte
Buffalo (football only)
Old Dominion (football only)

I was just giving my opinion. I think that the MAC is an ideal place for UMASS and that the a10 is done with football. Honestly I tried starting a list and gave up b/c it didnā€™t look appealing:
UMASS
Charlotte
Temple
Rhode Island
Richmond
[I]Hofstra?

[/I]If that is our football conference I would rather just save money and not have a program.