UNC board of gov

BOG Capital Improvement plans:

[URL]http://intranet.northcarolina.edu/docs/bog/minutes/2008/May/Appendices_C_-_Nonappropriated_Capital_Imrpovement_Projects.pdf[/URL]

[QUOTE=Powerbait;326454]Eastern Style BBQ sucks. There are hardly any good BBQ places in the entire RTP area. All garbage.[/QUOTE]

Themā€™s fighting words PB.

Ainā€™t nothing worse than VA BBQ. I still canā€™t eat that stuff.

BOG Capital Improvement plans:

http://intranet.northcarolina.edu/docs/bog/minutes/2008/May/Appendices_C_-_Nonappropriated_Capital_Imrpovement_Projects.pdf

These are projects not to be funded from the general fund i.e. the schools themselves are on the hook for the costs.

[QUOTE=VA49er;326484]Themā€™s fighting words PB.

Ainā€™t nothing worse than VA BBQ. I still canā€™t eat that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Hickory + Lexington > Anywhere I have eaten in Wilmington, Durham and especially Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is easily the worst.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;326487]Hickory + Lexington > Anywhere I have eaten in Wilmington, Durham and especially Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is easily the worst.[/QUOTE]

Well I donā€™t consider Chapel Hill and Durham east but canā€™t get more east than Wilmington I guess. Iā€™m used to Wilson BBQ at either Billā€™s or Parkers and Gardners BBQ in Rocky Mount.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;326472]The cap is on tuition and fees combined. For the fee to increase that much, tuition would have to stay flat for four years.[/QUOTE]Thatā€™s not true Mike. The calculations show it can be done without negative impact. I sometimes think you may be opposed to NINER FOOTBALL more than you want to admit.

[QUOTE=VA49er;326509]Well I donā€™t consider Chapel Hill and Durham east but canā€™t get more east than Wilmington I guess. Iā€™m used to Wilson BBQ at either Billā€™s or Parkers and Gardners BBQ in Rocky Mount.[/QUOTE]

So where do you draw the line? Raleigh?

I consider Burlington kind of the halfway point between east and west.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;326539]So where do you draw the line? Raleigh?
[/QUOTE]

I-95.

[QUOTE=Chipper;326517]Thatā€™s not true Mike. The calculations show it can be done without negative impact. I sometimes think you may be opposed to NINER FOOTBALL more than you want to admit.[/QUOTE]

The original post presented it as an increase in fees that stays below the 6.5 percent cap and is all used for football. Poster since has said that was only 6.5 percent of general fees, not overall fees.

The point remains, the 6.5 percent is the cap on increases year to year in both fees and tuition. If you use all 6.5 percent for fees, you cannot increase tuition.

[QUOTE=VA49er;326509]Well I donā€™t consider Chapel Hill and Durham east but canā€™t get more east than Wilmington I guess. Iā€™m used to Wilson BBQ at either Billā€™s or Parkers and Gardners BBQ in Rocky Mount.[/QUOTE]

VA - are you from that area? I grew up near Rocky Mound and love Parkers BBQ in Wilson (also in Greenville) as mentioned earlier. By far the best BBQ I have ever had. The sweet tea is pretty damn good too.

The original post presented it as an increase in fees that stays below the 6.5 percent cap and is all used for football. Poster since has said that was only 6.5 percent of general fees, not overall fees.

The point remains, the 6.5 percent is the cap on increases year to year in both fees and tuition. If you use all 6.5 percent for fees, you cannot increase tuition.

UNC shell game 101

just ad Bob Barker and you got the whole kabang

I get it, metro. Itā€™s a shell game. But the original point I responded to was football could be done without the 6.5 percent exception. I donā€™t think thatā€™s necessarily, or even likely, true.

I get it, metro. It's a shell game. But the original point I responded to was football could be done without the 6.5 percent exception. I don't think that's necessarily, or even likely, true.

Mike,

The number I gave in my first post was 6.5% of only general fees. You said yourself, and correctly, that the cap applies to tuition and fees combined. In my next post, I posted the numbers that were what you agreed with.

First year cap = $150
Minus athletic fee increase for football = $50

For the first year, that would leave a margin of $100 for other increases (tuition, further student debt fees, etc.) It is completely possible without the fee exception. The margin for non-football fee increases would grow each year as well. You and the editorial board need to do more research on the issue before passing false information, if not flat out lies, to the citizens of Charlotte.

Thanks,
Darren

Did you figure from that how much you decrease the take before footballā€™s inception in 2012, and figure out whether that would work? Obviously, the numbers will be significantly lower than the committee suggested, leaving a bigger gap in the calculations.

Did you figure from that how much you decrease the take before football's inception in 2012, and figure out whether that would work? Obviously, the numbers will be significantly lower than the committee suggested, leaving a bigger gap in the calculations.

That is a completely separate argument, not to mention completely unsubstantiated by fact.

We could raise the fees for an extra year if that becomes the case, or we could raise the fees by more each year. The number that was proposed is $50/year increase for football.

The tuition cap is just another way of the established schools (cough:Chapel Hill:cough) controlling the destiny of the younger schools.

If need be,

we could post-pone the inception of football until 2016. This would allow, say,

50 more a year next yearā€¦
50 added to that the next year
50 added to that the following year etc.

eventually we will have enough to fund football. Incoming freshmen opposed to this fee hike can go to uncg as spangler would suggest.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;326581]Did you figure from that how much you decrease the take before footballā€™s inception in 2012, and figure out whether that would work? Obviously, the numbers will be significantly lower than the committee suggested, leaving a bigger gap in the calculations.[/QUOTE]

clt asks mike p to compare our cost to unc-ch and unc-r in thursdayā€™s o. go right ahead, even include the football fee. clt doubts you will do it.

Our fee cap this year was around $80 for increases. I can stand by that number because I was involved in the process significantly. The number for this fall will be around the same. At the same time a football fee increase would go through, weā€™ll be trying to pay for the operations of the Student Union which we have estimated fairly accurately but still donā€™t know for sure. The only way to do it right is via a fee cap suspension.

clt asks mike p to compare our cost to unc-ch and unc-r in thursday's o. go right ahead, even include the football fee. clt doubts you will do it.
Over40NINER agrees with cltniners. The O has not compared total costs between the 2 schools yet. Why should they start now?

And Iā€™m a little concerned about Mikeā€™s ā€œtone of voiceā€. I really thought he was in favor of Niner football, but he seems to be entering PANIC MODE as we start to work out the kinks a little.