UNC-CH cancel Christmas trees!!

what a bunch of panzies-

[URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/394604.html[/URL]

get the hell over it, its secular people. Enjoy the lights and the smell of a tree, and the season of giving.

Hopefully Dubois is not so stupid.

Nowhere in the Bible does it mention christmas trees. All faiths can enjoy them.

I once heard doing christmas is non religious while having christmas is.

I think Christians shouldnt call it christmas, since its such a commercial product now. Instead they should call it Celebrating Christ (Or whatever churches call it now). Besides, that create two holidays, so you could choose to do christmas during the celebration of christ.

That would solve 2 problems. The religious/political correctness and would separate the commercialness of Christmas from the true meaning of christmas.

Or people can keep complaining. Some will say its religious and others will say its not. Funny thing is though, its not just non christians who say its religious and vice versa.

I agree with Metro here… What is Chrisitan about a Christmas tree? It is merely something associated with a Christian holiday. I am sick of this “Happy Holiday” crap! If you are somehow offended, leave America.

Crap Hole Hill is so freaking liberal it’s not even funny.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;367696]I agree with Metro here… What is Chrisitan about a Christmas tree? It is merely something associated with a Christian holiday. I am sick of this “Happy Holiday” crap! If you are somehow offended, leave America.

Crap Hole Hill is so freaking liberal it’s not even funny.[/QUOTE]

I dont know how much modern christmas is associated with christianity. I would even dare say that modern christmas makes christianity look bad.

What do you think?

I dont know how much modern christmas is associated with christianity. I would even dare say that modern christmas makes christianity look bad.

What do you think?

is it me or the longer you are out of school Gill, your questions get more thought provocative…hmmm

Santa and Rudolph- nuff said. Christmas was/is a christian holiday but pop culture and advertising took it over 100 yrs ago…watered it down.

I assume these people will now be working on the 25th as well?

[QUOTE=metro;367703]is it me or the longer you are out of school Gill, your questions get more thought provocative…hmmm

Santa and Rudolph- nuff said. Christmas was/is a christian holiday but pop culture and advertising took it over 100 yrs ago…watered it down.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, when people in INDIA are celebrating christmas… you know rudolph, not jesus has taken over LoL.

As for the first comment… I find myself being enlightened by the real world.

back to the topic though of being “offended”

if you live in a country where (Id wager) 90% of the population in one form or another celebrates Christmas, then get over it!

I mean does Jingle Bells, sleighs, lights, really offend you?

Now if UNC-CH wanted to put up a manger scene with a baby Jesus, I could find some middle ground there…BUT NOT TREES!!!

essentially Christmas is split in half…one part secular fun and cheer…and privately some people recognize its origin

[QUOTE=metro;367713]back to the topic though of being “offended”

if you live in a country where (Id wager) 90% of the population in one form or another celebrates Christmas, then get over it!

I mean does Jingle Bells, sleighs, lights, really offend you?

Now if UNC-CH wanted to put up a manger scene with a baby Jesus, I could find some middle ground there…BUT NOT TREES!!!

essentially Christmas is split in half…one part secular fun and cheer…and privately some people recognize its origin[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. People should not be offended by jingle bells sleighs etc. But I think they are offended since its related. I can see how someone not Christian can feel overwhelmed by this.

Thats why I think that split should be taken into serious consideration. Either call Christmas a christian holiday, or call the christian aspect of it something else.

Till that happens I dont think this debate will ever end.

I agree with this. People should not be offended by jingle bells sleighs etc. But I think they are offended since its related. I can see how someone not Christian can feel overwhelmed by this.

Thats why I think that split should be taken into serious consideration. Either call Christmas a christian holiday, or call the christian aspect of it something else.

Till that happens I dont think this debate will ever end.

what you are saying already has transpired. Thats why “Happy Holidays” is everywhere and trees are even called “holiday trees” in many places.

what about Halloween, didn’t it have some sinister origin?? Its origin doesn’t offend me, I just like the scary stuff, costumes, and candy.

http://www.halloween-website.com/history.htm

I’ve heard alot of origins, but the ‘Celtic New Year’ theory makes the most sense.

I dont know metro. Maybe because it isnt religous or something?

I do know though, that there is outrage against haloween from Christians, because there are alot of those ‘alternate’ haloween celebrations. Makes sense, its like christmas though, people should take the holiday for the fun it has become, and not get offended by sleighs and pumpkins.

I wonder if the library director wants to go to Washington, DC and remove the [B]NATIONAL[/B] Christmas tree lit by the President?

[QUOTE=ChevEE;367696]I agree with Metro here… What is Chrisitan about a Christmas tree? It is merely something associated with a Christian holiday. I am sick of this “Happy Holiday” crap! [/QUOTE]

I have to comment on this, Chev.

On the admittedly rare occasion that I recognize the season, I say “happy holidays” because Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Years Day all occur within >40 days of each other.

For some people, it’s not about worrying about offending people. “Happy Holidays” just covers all the bases and, imho, is a refreshing change from many Christmas-celebrators refusal to even acknowledge that there are other holidays/events being celebrated in the same time frame.

One should consider the audience rather than themselves.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;367696]If you are somehow offended, leave America.[/QUOTE]

In America, people have the right to be offended at things, and have the right to try and change what they view is unfair (even if they’re absurd ultra-lib crybabies that think everything is unfair, like in this case).

If you don’t like it…don’t leave America…just fight back.

Winner.

lol I missed that....and the answer is no!!!

[QUOTE=metro;367688]Nowhere in the Bible does it mention christmas trees. All faiths can enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

Metro is completely correct. Christmas as we know it is almost entirely pagan with the exception of whatever Christian elements some choose to intertwine with it (manger scenes, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, etc…).

Jesus was not born in December and from what I’ve read, the Christian aspects of Christmas are celebrated on the 25th to help promote Christianity to the pagans who were already used to having a winter solstace celebration on or near that day.

Anyone offended by Christmas trees should stop biatching and go read a history book. Christmas is now an amusing and fun rolling collection of faiths and traditions and goodwill that is anything but offensive.

[IMG]http://dvice.com/pics/800px-Festivus-Pole-from-Seinfeld-thumb-500x375.png[/IMG]

/mandatory

Bavaria is on the right track:

[URL=http://www.thelocal.de/gallery/341/1/]Krampus the Christmas Demon[/URL]
[I]The troll-like Perchten or Krampus emerge when it gets dark. The gnarled and gruesome figures stomp through the Christmas markets of Bavaria, scaring children and sometimes even give women a spanking.[/I]

maybe they’re saving money to give butch davis a raise. no surprise that the chapel hillians do something like this. what next? will they stop playing/singing the national anthem before sporting events? it still baffles me how anyone can take that school seriously.

is it me or the longer you are out of school Gill, your questions get more thought provocative...hmmm

Santa and Rudolph- nuff said. Christmas was/is a christian holiday but pop culture and advertising took it over 100 yrs ago…watered it down.

Duh…
-But seriously I agree with you here Metro, we decorate our apartment in Phase III every year, this is ridiculous. Let students enjoy themselves.