UNC-CH cancel Christmas trees!!

Didnt UNC-Liberal Hill also make the Quran (Koran, Qu’ran, WTF-ever) mandatory reading recently? (at least for certain classes or something?)

Anyways…thought I remembered an article about that.

[QUOTE=ninerID;367706]I assume these people will now be working on the 25th as well?[/QUOTE]

That brings another question into this. December 25th has no correlation to the birth of Christ, so why do we celebrate anything on that day?

Again, it was taken from secular rituals.

[QUOTE=pir8fan05;367866]Didnt UNC-Liberal Hill also make the Quran (Koran, Qu’ran, WTF-ever) mandatory reading recently? (at least for certain classes or something?)

Anyways…thought I remembered an article about that.[/QUOTE]
It was a “required” summer reading for entering freshmen a few years back. The Bible never has been a summer reading book at Chapel Hill.

[QUOTE=HP49er;367871]It was a “required” summer reading for entering freshmen a few years back. The Bible never has been a summer reading book at Chapel Hill.[/QUOTE]

As much as I’d love to bash on Crapple Hole for that, the decision was purely a topical one. There was no intention to promote Islam.

With Muslims all over the world committing atrocious acts, reading the Koran is valuable insight to their craziness, and the school saw it that way.

But really, making every student read it is a bit overboard.

it is hard for me to retain my Christian values when I think about how I want to inform these people of how un-smart they are in saying that Christmas trees are a “Christian thing”.

It would be people at UNCCH who don’t know basic religious facts.

clt finds it ironic that so many wal mart rednecks support a school which doesn’t reflect their beliefs.

If the people opposing a Christmas tree actually knew what it was used for…originally it was erected on Christmas eve with fruit and candies for underprivileged children to have on Christmas day.

So basically the opposers are heartless and callous.

[QUOTE=Roasty;367890]As much as I’d love to bash on Crapple Hole for that, the decision was purely a topical one. There was no intention to promote Islam.

With Muslims all over the world committing atrocious acts, reading the Koran is valuable insight to their craziness, and the school saw it that way.

But really, making every student read it is a bit overboard.[/QUOTE]

To rebut this a bit, do you not think there would be such backlash if it were the Bible instead of the Qu’ran. Why not give people a choice, since the freedom argument likes to be used exclusively.

This is all part of a larger movement to keep religion out of the public square. Largely, this movement advances and does so unchecked in the academy.
I am Christian, and I don’t get offended when I see a Jewish Star or a menorah up somewhere. I don’t get offended if someone wants to pray to Allah. People reserve the right to get offended at anything, and we should not cater to that.

It’s a freaking federal holiday. Recognize it!

This is ridiculous… Christmas is a time for everyone to come together and celebrate the birth of Santa Claus. Leave it to the blue fairies to f-up something that simple.

On a side note, a friend of mine was in Wal-Mart the other day, and over the loud speakers, the Call to Prayer for Muslims was played…Over the loud speakers…at Wal-Mart. He said that he felt uneasy about the situation.

[QUOTE=cltniners;367912]clt finds it ironic that so many wal mart rednecks support a school which doesn’t reflect their beliefs.[/QUOTE]this thread has a winner

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;367933]To rebut this a bit, do you not think there would be such backlash if it were the Bible instead of the Qu’ran. Why not give people a choice, since the freedom argument likes to be used exclusively.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure on what you meant by that. I guess if Christians all over the world were suicide-bombing marketplaces and cutting people’s heads off on videotape in the name of Jesus, then reading the Bible may be poignant. The requirement’s purpose was to provide background for political discussions in class, not convert students to the [I]wonders of Islam[/I].

On that note, sections of the Bible were required reading in my 10th grade [B]public[/B] high school English class. It wasn’t religion, it was a study of language and how it was used. I didn’t have a problem with that, either.

If all entering freshman UNC-CH students were required to take a class on contemporary politics, then reading the Koran makes sense I think, since Islam-based terrorism is a daily topic in the news and that reading would provide some insight.

But freshman are likely not required to do this and the Koran requirement was likely a poorly thought-out plan. My REAL point in this whole thread was that it seems to me that a lot of people have knee-jerk reactions to anything that isn’t their own religion/holiday. There’s at least two sides to any story.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

107.5, WKZL in Greensboro protested the tree ban this morning in Chapel Hill. Pretty funny stuff on air via a cell phone. A professor and his grad student even sang a carol with Jared on the library steps.

Props to DJ Jack Murphy as he continuously said “the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill” in any/all references to the school!

Link: [URL=http://www.1075kzl.com/?app=Page&display=8239][B][U]Jared as the Living Christmas Tree[/U][/B][/URL], 1075kzl.com

[QUOTE]Jared and some KZ Elves made their way to UNC Chapel Hill to protest the removal of the Christmas Trees from Wilson Library. They received strange looks, but overall the UNC campus was welcoming to the cause. We sang Christmas carols and read about the history of Christmas trees.[/QUOTE]

Christmas trees aren’t Christian, dip****s.

[QUOTE=49or bust;369512]Christmas trees aren’t Christian, dip****s.[/QUOTE]

Who is that directed to?

Who is that directed to?
[QUOTE]Michalak's decision followed several years of queries and complaints from [B]library employees and patrons[/B] bothered by the Christian display[/QUOTE] No one on here. I didn't even read the thread.
No one on here. I didn't even read the thread.
of course half this thread is about how trees aren't in the Bible, but carry on...you're the best when you don't read the thread and post.

I might be mistaken, and I see there are some staunch advocates of a non-Christian tree, but isn’t there Christian symbolism in the Christmas tree?

of course half this thread is about how trees aren't in the Bible, but carry on...you're the best when you don't read the thread and post.
Shut up. Rarely do I post and not read the thread. Just stop making crap up already.

If someone thinks Christmas trees are soley Christian they are wrong, but my comment wasn’t directed at people on our board. What do I need to read the thread and catch up on?

I love how we agree and you still get on my case and bring up some BS you pulled out of your ass because I proved you wrong in other threads.