UNC Charlotte Trustees Approve...

We already had a college for architecture, and if we did not have one for art, did we need one? Does this mean we will get more meaningless large metal objects on campus in the future?

I spoke with my wife about this being a she is a graduate with a degree in music from Charlotte. She said that she knew about this a while ago. I am interested they felt the need to pair art with anything. They finally split visual art from performing arts by building the new Robinson Hall. Performing arts are not big fans of the visual arts department. Why can’t we have a college of art? And did y’all know that we don’t offer doctorate studies in music? That is one thing that seperates us from other large universities across the country. Our wind ensemble is finally growing to the size it ought to be for a school this size, but there isn’t much effort put into it.

Why can't we have a college of art?

That’s an issue of cost. They would have to pay upwards of 150k/year for a dean, plus an office, plus support staff. The way they went about this merger of colleges was to minimize added cost, while improving (read: not making ideal) the power of the arts at Charlotte.

So, rather than 300k++ annually for an entirely new college, they spent under 25k as a one-time investment.

Eventually we will have these two colleges separate, once more funding appears, but for now this is a significant improvement.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;293003]That’s an issue of cost. They would have to pay upwards of 150k/year for a dean, plus an office, plus support staff. The way they went about this merger of colleges was to minimize added cost, while improving (read: not making ideal) the power of the arts at Charlotte.

So, rather than 300k++ annually for an entirely new college, they spent under 25k as a one-time investment.

Eventually we will have these two colleges separate, once more funding appears, but for now this is a significant improvement.[/QUOTE]

Understand about the costs, but this would be like combining the College of Business with the College of Engineering. It does not make a whole lot of sense from subject viewpoint. The music department has no business being under the same umbrella as the architecture department. They are two different animals. I can see why most of the architecture folks would be upset. I also would no be surprised if many of the art crowd disliked the merger also.

Understand about the costs, but this would be like combining the College of Business with the College of Engineering. It does not make a whole lot of sense from subject viewpoint. The music department has no business being under the same umbrella as the architecture department. They are two different animals. I can see why most of the architecture folks would be upset. I also would no be surprised if many of the art crowd disliked the merger also.

You would actually be surprised about the similarities between music and architecture. The architecture students design the sets for the annual opera produced by the music department.

Also, the only voice on the Student Government Association from the CoA was in favor of the merger. There is an open seat which has been waiting for an architecture student to fill for the entire semester. We cannot find a student interested from the department.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;293074] There is an open seat which has been waiting for an architecture student to fill for the entire semester. We cannot find a student interested from the department.[/QUOTE]

The architecture students I knew while I was in school did not have time to chair a committee. They were the only students I knew who seemed busier with their work/studies than me, as an engineering student. Many I knew spent all-nighters completing projects inside the architecture building. That cured my wish that I had enrolled in that program.
I had a lot of late nights studying for tests, but I never pulled an all-nighter, and especially not on campus.

You would actually be surprised about the similarities between music and architecture. The architecture students design the sets for the annual opera produced by the music department.

Also, the only voice on the Student Government Association from the CoA was in favor of the merger. There is an open seat which has been waiting for an architecture student to fill for the entire semester. We cannot find a student interested from the department.

Find me an archetecture student who has the time to do anything extracurricular, and I’ll show you an archetecture student that isn’t keeping up with the workload.

The architecture students I knew while I was in school did not have time to chair a committee. They were the only students I knew who seemed busier with their work/studies than me, as an engineering student. Many I knew spent all-nighters completing projects inside the architecture building. That cured my wish that I had enrolled in that program. I had a lot of late nights studying for tests, but I never pulled an all-nighter, and especially not on campus.

Some semesters were worse then others, but all-nighters are the norm there. Sometimes, even with their own groups they have within the school (AIAS), they have trouble setting up meeting times and everyone showing.

Find me an archetecture student who has the time to do anything extracurricular, and I'll show you an archetecture student that isn't keeping up with the workload.

I had trouble getting free for an hour of intramural basketball. It can be done but it means you have extra time to spend in the building later on. I wouldn’t give it up for anything, but I rarely could ever have a weekly schedule. It was seriously day to day, and good luck making plans outside that building and keeping them all the time. Hell, when you had free time you were usually too fried to want to do anything.