"UNC Charlotte"

Again, GREAT coverage by the Big O and Jena today. Gotta love the feature pic on front page and on 8C despite the Holes playing Indiana.

But I have one gripe: WHY do we have to see “UNC Charlotte” under both of the pictures and in our score that’s above the picture on 8C? The school’s debate team didn’t play the game last night. The Charlotte 49ers played the game. Can we please just have “Charlotte” when we’re talking about our athletic programs in our local paper please?

Thought we had progressed past this crap.

Link

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 08:07 AM [b] Again, GREAT coverage by the Big O and Jena today. Gotta love the feature pic on front page and on 8C despite the Holes playing Indiana.

But I have one gripe: WHY do we have to see “UNC Charlotte” under both of the pictures and in our score that’s above the picture on 8C? The school’s debate team didn’t play the game last night. The Charlotte 49ers played the game. Can we please just have “Charlotte” when we’re talking about our athletic programs in our local paper please?

Thought we had progressed past this crap. [/b]

Yes, great coverage of this game. Front page of Mitch with Challenge games going on is awesome.

And I actually like UNC Charlotte being interchanged with Charlotte, Charlotte 49ers, 49ers, etc. Afterall, doesn’t Mitch attend UNC Charlotte? I just think it makes sense to use the univ name and then shorten it in other places. Not sure what the Athletic Dept’s stance is on it now.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 08:56 AM [b] And I actually like UNC Charlotte being interchanged with Charlotte, Charlotte 49ers, 49ers, etc. Afterall, doesn't Mitch attend UNC Charlotte? I just think it makes sense to use the univ name and then shorten it in other places. Not sure what the Athletic Dept's stance is on it now. [/b]
I completely disagree and it's situations like this that just add to the overall confusion. I thought we established that all things athletic would be referred to as "Charlotte?" If that's the case, then "UNC Charlotte" shouldn't be used when covering one of our basketball games unless it's used in the context of "Martin Iti, who attends UNC Charlotte, had a great game last night." When we're listing the score of a game, I don't care to see the prefix.

Can’t have it both ways and not expect to have the identity problems we’ve had in the past.

Amen, jcl!

We still can’t get rid of the hyphen in UNCC after almost 30 years. While eating before the game last night, I noticed an advertisment in Creative Loafing with UNC-C prominently displayed in the ad.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:43 AM [b] Amen, jcl!

We still can’t get rid of the hyphen in UNCC after almost 30 years. While eating before the game last night, I noticed an advertisment in Creative Loafing with UNC-C prominently displayed in the ad. [/b]

Yeah, I see your point but UNC-C is not the school’s name…UNC Charlotte is.

Newbie from the metro section helped us out last night, and he didn’t know. Nobody else caught it in the frenzy of deadline. Sorry.

[b]Newbie from the metro section helped us out last night, and he didn't know. Nobody else caught it in the frenzy of deadline. Sorry. [/b]

Fire him :lol: (Just Kidding)

Great coverage has become the norm this season by the big O. KEEP IT UP!!! :smiley:

I don’t want to see UNC Charlotte on box scores, stories, anything associated with the basketball program. Why go to the trouble of changing the name to Charlotte? Makes no sense.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 10:00 AM [b] Newbie from the metro section helped us out last night, and he didn't know. Nobody else caught it in the frenzy of deadline. Sorry. [/b]
No problem, Mike. With all the coverage, we'll let you slide this time. :D

I just think the new name for the athletic department was a complete waste of time if you’re not going to change the name of the school also. Are we the only team in the NCAA’s to do this? I can’t find it, but I remember last year the Conference USA website had a list of all the teams and the “incorrect names” they were referred to. We lead the list with 6. It was bad when we were UNC Charlotte - it is worse now.

I like the new logo, but half of the merchandise you find with it has “UNC” right above “Charlotte”. I still buy it because it’s good quality gear and if I don’t then the retailer will stop carrying 49er merchandise.

IMO, it was a mistake to change the name of just the athletic department. Anybody know what they were thinking?

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 12:00 PM [b] IMO, it was a mistake to change the name of just the athletic department. Anybody know what they were thinking? [/b]
I look at it like:

UNC Charlote, Charlotte, Charlotte 49ers (Most often referred to as Charlotte for athletics)

UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Carolina, North Carolina Tarheels. (Most often referred to as Carolina or North Carolina).