UNCC Touted as tourist lure

[URL=http://www.bradenton.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_charlotte/14792465.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_university_of_north_carolina_charlotte]Click Me.[/URL]

Discuss.

Its good to see Charlotte grads in influential positions in the area, if you know what I mean.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;177198][URL=http://www.bradenton.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_charlotte/14792465.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_university_of_north_carolina_charlotte]Click Me.[/URL]

Discuss.

Its good to see Charlotte grads in influential positions in the area, if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

It sure is.

Nice and interesting article.

Also… Maybe one day the Belk Tower will be considered a tourist destination. :smile:

Yea, with the Hilton so close by it is nice.

Maybe we’ll be a good tourist attraction just in time for our new entrance. :lmao:

Bring on the little boys soccer camps…

Didn’t a musical artist perform in Halton last year?

I know we used to have bands play in the Mineshaft when I was there, including the likes of BB King and Pure Prairie League (“Amy”).

What’s up with the link? From the link I clicked on Charlotte.com and it took me to the Bradenton/Sarasota Fla Herald.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;177230]I know we used to have bands play in the Mineshaft when I was there, including the likes of BB King and Pure Prairie League (“Amy”).

What’s up with the link? From the link I clicked on Charlotte.com and it took me to the Bradenton/Sarasota Fla Herald.[/QUOTE]

Trivia Question:
What former member of PPL is now a country music star???

I know we used to have bands play in the Mineshaft when I was there, including the likes of BB King and Pure Prairie League ("Amy").

B.B. King played the Mineshaft? Wow. Beats the hell out of Better Than Ezra which is the band I saw in there during my freshman year.

Not to get this any further off topic but B.B. is playing at the House of Blues the weekend I’ll be at the beach and I thought about taking it in. Never seen him live but I think it would be a fantastic show and a good chance to see a blues legend before he hangs it up.

Didn’t the SGA spend the $30,000 “concert/entertainment fund” on the spirit banners now displayed on the light posts around campus?

I believe this is what happened and that this is why there have not been any concerts the past year.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;177239]B.B. King played the Mineshaft? Wow. Beats the hell out of Better Than Ezra which is the band I saw in there during my freshman year.

Not to get this any further off topic but B.B. is playing at the House of Blues the weekend I’ll be at the beach and I thought about taking it in. Never seen him live but I think it would be a fantastic show and a good chance to see a blues legend before he hangs it up.[/QUOTE]

One more post off track…

He now has to remain seated during his concerts but he and “Lucille” are still worth checking out. I’ve seen him at least 4 or 5 times (including the Mineshaft) but the last time was while in California on a business conference. The seminar I was attending had BB perform for the big shindig the last night along with lots of free “beverages”, boiled shrimp, and other great food. He had to remain seated but it was still a good show. I can promise I had a really good time.

I saw Counting Crows in Halton about 8-9 years ago. Pretty damn good.

Another highlight was the July 4th Symphony and fireworks they used to do on the backfields. There were thousands of people out there. Beer, wine, food. Need more events like that.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;177246]I saw Counting Crows in Halton about 8-9 years ago. Pretty damn good.

Another highlight was the July 4th Symphony and fireworks they used to do on the backfields. There were thousands of people out there. Beer, wine, food. Need more events like that.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been to that and it was a good event. What happened to it?

While we’re on this subject of musical events on campus…

We USED to have a big outdoor event every year where the old amphitheater USED to be located. We had lots of good bands. I seem to remember Jerry Jeff Walker and a few other “National” acts along with some of the best local and regional bands around.

Does the school still do this? I know the amphitheater is long gone but there are still other good locations on campus. I also doubt they could still have the beer drinking contest that was always held (I always placed in top 5).

Didn't the SGA spend the $30,000 "concert/entertainment fund" on the spirit banners now displayed on the light posts around campus?

I believe this is what happened and that this is why there have not been any concerts the past year.

The international festival is good. Always have great food on hand… I highly recommend attending.

We had lots of good bands. I seem to remember Jerry Jeff Walker and a few other "National" acts along with some of the best local and regional bands around.

Another “wow” for ya Over40. I love JJW and can’t even fathom him playing at that old location on campus. That would have been incredible. Any idea as to the year (give or take) that was?

As for stuff on campus, we used to have a traveling sports festival come through when I was enrolled. I think it was put on by ESPN or a partner. Had all sorts of things set up on the front field. I still have an old VCR tape where they allowed you (and a friend) to do play-by-play/color for an actual basketball game.

And as ATL mentioned, the International Festival is always a good event.

What idiot travels the country to see a college campus?

Who wants to put money on stonecoldken not even reading the article?

What idiot speaks of a matter without insight?

“What idiot travels the country to see a college campus?”

I guess me. I was in Charleston last week and walked through CofC campus. Last visit in Chicago, I wanted to see University of Chicago campus and many more after this.

Sounds like there used to be a good amount of events/ things to look forward to on campus. Not anymore. I was on campus for 2 years and absolutely nothing happened. I love UNCC but as a freshman I wanted better and nearly transfered. Glad I stuck around but the atmosphere on campus was rediculously boring and the school spirit was absolutley zero. What was really bad was the freaking cops who have made drinking on campus or anytype of “gathering” on campus extremely difficult. UNCC needs bars on campus.

[QUOTE=uncommon-niner;177314]Sounds like there used to be a good amount of events/ things to look forward to on campus. Not anymore. I was on campus for 2 years and absolutely nothing happened. I love UNCC but as a freshman I wanted better and nearly transfered. Glad I stuck around but the atmosphere on campus was rediculously boring and the school spirit was absolutley zero. What was really bad was the freaking cops who have made drinking on campus or anytype of “gathering” on campus extremely difficult. UNCC needs bars on campus.[/QUOTE]

First off, you can’t have a bar on campus, it’s against the law.

Secondly, there was always stuff going on on campus. I know that CAB stopped bringing in famous musical acts because people weren’t going to the shows and they were losing so much money.

The Lit/Garbage fiasco was the last straw.

But, I always found lots of stuff to do on campus, including concerts, art shows, plays, movies and parties. Not to mention athletic events. People who found nothing to do on campus must not have been looking very hard. CAB had events going every week.

There are a lot of beautiful college campuses across the country. While I have not been fortunate enough to see all of them, I like to check them out online… most sites do virtual tours.

You should see the quads at Oxford… They are incredible. You’re not even allowed to walk on the grass part on a lot of them. My mom went there for a grad. degree in theology, and I visited her. It was neat.

I agree that there is a lot of stuff going on, but they do a poor job of getting the word out. And there is NOT a lot of stuff where A LOT of people go (ie thousands) except maybe once or twice a year. If they’d slack off the rules a little bit, and let people drink out at events and stuff, and get the word out better, people would stick around more. Instead we have the police trying to nit pick every little thing. I once got a drinking ticket and GOT CONVICTED by the student courts of drinking in Halton Arena and I wasnt even doing it. Tell me that isnt a crock of shit.