University City re-branding

I want to see SPECIFIC, DEFINED borders for this area. I’m sick of every news story even remotely close to the University say it happened in the “university city area” when it may not have been. Esp., crime. >:(

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/26/4059895/university-area-gets-officially.html?utm_source=feedly

It’s unfortunate that the campus is so far in north Charlotte, when the city has grown south. I guess uptown and southern Charlotte would have been hard to predict, since even now they’re fairly new areas.

[quote=“eason49, post:2, topic:27831”]It’s unfortunate that the campus is so far in north Charlotte, when the city has grown south. I guess uptown and southern Charlotte would have been hard to predict, since even now they’re fairly new areas.[/quote]In the 80’s and 90’s they thought North Charlotte is where most of the growth, and middle to upper income growth, would occur.

There was virtually nothing going on in south Charlotte.

Then the Harris and Bissell families moved into the development scene and most of the land they owned was in S. Charlotte. I believe they played a role in getting 485 built through south charlotte first, so all the development went there.

I do recall driving down Harris Blvd in 1991 thinking why in the hell did they build this big ass road out here - there is nothing out here and the road is never busy.

When the hell is someone going to beat the living daylights out of Wal-Mart and make them sell their empty big box in University City?

Been told by multiple people that Wal-Mart is more than willing to sell to someone that doesn’t conflict with their business. They’d rather pay taxes on the property and leave it vacant than have someone move in who might compete with them. So that leaves who as possibilities for that space? Not many choices based on my last trip thru a Wal-Mart?

Instead of worrying about the branding or name of University City, city councilman Michael Barnes should pat himself on the back when he does something to help the actual value of University City.

Saying it now has a clearer identity??? Big deal. That is no more important than the street signs they put up a few years ago with the strange looking “UC” logo on them.

[quote=“Crusader, post:5, topic:27831”]When the hell is someone going to beat the living daylights out of Wal-Mart and make them sell their empty big box in University City?

Been told by multiple people that Wal-Mart is more than willing to sell to someone that doesn’t conflict with their business. They’d rather pay taxes on the property and leave it vacant than have someone move in who might compete with them. So that leaves who as possibilities for that space? Not many choices based on my last trip thru a Wal-Mart?

Instead of worrying about the branding or name of University City, city councilman Michael Barnes should pat himself on the back when he does something to help the actual value of University City.

Saying it now has a clearer identity? ??? ? Big deal. That is no more important than the street signs they put up a few years ago with the strange looking “UC” logo on them.[/quote]

The wal-mart site is still zoned for big box retail, even after the TOD rezoning.

Always thought that the old Walmart would make a great bowling alley. Strike City, UCity Lanes and Dave and Busters all don’t polish their lanes.

University City is a joke. Let’s all be honest here. The city leaders have fallen flat on their face repeatedly. They have no freakin’ idea how to integrate our absolutely gorgeous campus with the surrounding area.

It’s a shame, it really is because there is SO much potential there.

[quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27831”]University City is a joke. Let’s all be honest here. The city leaders have fallen flat on their face repeatedly. They have no freakin’ idea how to integrate our absolutely gorgeous campus with the surrounding area.

It’s a shame, it really is because there is SO much potential there.[/quote]

Yup and the schools should have and still should take a leadership role instead of acting like they can’t/shouldn’t work with their neighbors.

First time I ever met Phil he stated that the school needed to do a better job of connecting to the city and surrounding community.

Since that comment was made within his first year as Chancellor, I can now look at the results and see he was just talking nonsense.

I see that the University area is getting a new car wash right across from the new Walmart…which is right on the light rail line.

The area around Ikea which was supposed to be mixed use is requesting a rezoning to turn the southern section into an auto-mall with up to 5 car dealerships.

The city is blowing their chance to redevelop University City into a nice urban community with light rail. What a joke.

I have no doubt Tarhole fans are making these decisions for UCity.

+1

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:9, topic:27831”][quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27831”]University City is a joke. Let’s all be honest here. The city leaders have fallen flat on their face repeatedly. They have no freakin’ idea how to integrate our absolutely gorgeous campus with the surrounding area.

Yup and the schools should have and still should take a leadership role instead of acting like they can’t/shouldn’t work with their neighbors.[/quote]The University did spearhead the development of University Place (Walmart, Hilton, Boardwalk Billy’s etc) and the University Research Park (TIAA-CREF, Electrolux, AREVA, etc) so they are capable, I just think they have been resting on their laurels for a couple of decades.

[quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27831”]University City is a joke. Let’s all be honest here. The city leaders have fallen flat on their face repeatedly. They have no freakin’ idea how to integrate our absolutely gorgeous campus with the surrounding area.

The biggest obstacle to integrating the campus with the surrounding area is 29, 49 and Harris. The state DOT controls 29 and even though Interstate 85 is half a mile away, the powers that be feel it needs to only move cars and not accommodate pedestrians. The campus is an island surrounded by highways and the people in charge of these roads don’t feel like changing that.

The Chancellor wants to integrate the campus with the surrounding area. The only logical place to do that is across 29, but they are strip malls. University Place is really the only asset that has the potential, but it needs a lot of redevelopment. The area took a hit with becoming the last light rail stop, because now there is going to be a huge parking deck and significant increase in traffic instead of out at 485 where it belongs.

I hope that parking deck has retail space in the bottom at least. Not counting on it, but it’d be nice if they did that to replace the retail space that was lost to make way for the parking deck.

Also 2002, 29 is significantly more pedestrian friendly than it was and even more improvements will be made once light rail is constructed. Two cross walks have been put in on 29 to campus. One at the Kohl’s parking lot, the other where JW Clay connects to a new entrance on the CRI side of campus.

[quote=“Niner National, post:16, topic:27831”]I hope that parking deck has retail space in the bottom at least. Not counting on it, but it’d be nice if they did that to replace the retail space that was lost to make way for the parking deck.

Also 2002, 29 is significantly more pedestrian friendly than it was and even more improvements will be made once light rail is constructed. Two cross walks have been put in on 29 to campus. One at the Kohl’s parking lot, the other where JW Clay connects to a new entrance on the CRI side of campus.[/quote]
Y’all should give a Like to the “UNCC North Tryon Safety Project”. They’re wanting to get the Tryon pedestrian crossings to be safer so people aren’t hit by cars (as happened a couple weeks ago). Here’s a video to illustrate the current state of the crosswalks and light timings.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4300797296637&set=vb.160627704113822&type=2&theater

For a university our size we should have well built wide sidewalks on all borders of the school. Along 49 there is barely a sidewalk and the sidewalk ends way early on tryon. Perhaps when the light rail comes through tryon will see some redevelopment. More and more students are living near or on campus the demand for walk ability is growing. Lets hope it materializes into action. The best thing for the university in terms of reaching the near community would be if a noda ish area was near. Unfortunately at this time there is only residential and the little commercial property there is is not dense at all.

[quote=“emf, post:17, topic:27831”][quote=“Niner National, post:16, topic:27831”]I hope that parking deck has retail space in the bottom at least. Not counting on it, but it’d be nice if they did that to replace the retail space that was lost to make way for the parking deck.

Also 2002, 29 is significantly more pedestrian friendly than it was and even more improvements will be made once light rail is constructed. Two cross walks have been put in on 29 to campus. One at the Kohl’s parking lot, the other where JW Clay connects to a new entrance on the CRI side of campus.[/quote]
Y’all should give a Like to the “UNCC North Tryon Safety Project”. They’re wanting to get the Tryon pedestrian crossings to be safer so people aren’t hit by cars (as happened a couple weeks ago). Here’s a video to illustrate the current state of the crosswalks and light timings.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4300797296637&set=vb.160627704113822&type=2&theater[/quote]

I’m over there quite often and that intersection is an absolute joke. I’m surprised someone hasn’t indeed been hit yet. Unfortunately, knowing the city, that’s the only time when they’ll think to do something about it. (i.e. the two boys killed on Tyvola last year)

I still say the best (and easiest) thing the school can do is get permission to sell retail land for shops and small restaurants/bars, etc. on our side of John Kirk at or near 49. Perhaps starting along the corner at that intersection. Shops right up to the sidewalk with seating on the back side (campus side, between the shops and the parking decks over there). That land will probably go unused by the school otherwise and this could actually make a little money and give campus at least a taste of a small “downtown district”.