US Women in the World Cup!

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:20, topic:25542”]You say skill then discuss focus and discipline.

I do think we need to execute fundamentals better, but we also need a creative finisher, like Marta or Messi, but in better match shape, and with less of an pissy attitude. Actually, Messi’s fit and not too much of a primadonna, given how good he is, so maybe we just need a Messi. And as much as I hate Marta, she can make something out of nothing, which is a gift - I just dont think you can teach it - it’s instinct + drive. I think if you add a finisher like that to either the MNT or WNT and sure up our uncharacterstically bad back line on the men’s side, we’d have a serious contender on both sides. The women may be good enough without one.[/quote]

Davies injury hampered our men’s squad more than anything in the last World Cup. He was playing in great form and would have been a difference maker. I hope he can get back to his pre-car crash form, because we need someone like him up top. Jozy is an athletic specimen, but his footwork is pathetic.

Best place to put this: Japan played some GREAT football today! I was thoroughly impressed. I was rooting for them, so it was really fun to watch them play circles around Sweden for the last ~80 minutes.

But now, I am scared lol. I certainly think we can beat them, but man did they look good. Sunday is going to be a great game.

While many great comments have been made here about the WWC and the WNT, I think our GK has been a major stability factor for the back four. Hope Solo was critical in the Brazil win and kept the US in the game against a very good France team. It is a team sport, and only teams win. Yet Solo, like Wambach up top, are critical to the balance.

I LOVE watching great soccer, and the qtr’s and semi’s of the WWC have been amazing to watch. I really hope the US WNT can pull it out against JPN Sunday and get their 3rd WC.

We believe in Hope!!!

I can’t get why the women’s team is getting so little credit… they’re #1 in the world. I know it’s Gregg Doyel, but he wrote an article talking about the USWNT being overachievers… how do you overachieve when you’re numero uno?

[quote=“NinerFan, post:23, topic:25542”]While many great comments have been made here about the WWC and the WNT, I think our GK has been a major stability factor for the back four. Hope Solo was critical in the Brazil win and kept the US in the game against a very good France team. It is a team sport, and only teams win. Yet Solo, like Wambach up top, are critical to the balance.

I LOVE watching great soccer, and the qtr’s and semi’s of the WWC have been amazing to watch. I really hope the US WNT can pull it out against JPN Sunday and get their 3rd WC.

We believe in Hope!!![/quote]

I’m a big fan of Hope’s in multiple regards, but I’m tellin you, the anchor to that D is Christie Rampone. I wish I had ever been as good as she is. Gonna be big shoes to fill when she retires.

Can’t see I didn’t see this coming, but I am choking on the irony of the U.S. losing their best played game. They absolutely took Japan out of their game for the entire 120 minutes, but Japan did what the U.S. has gotten by on, and capitalized on the few mistakes.
Congrats Japan.
PS - I wish the ESPN team would stop pounding away on the tsunami thing. The Japanese coach said before the game they were playing for themselves (the players).

Great game. US played extremely well but luck was not on their side today.

NA you are right on with Alex Morgan. Alex and Hope should be able to cash in on their combo of looks and skill to earn a decent paycheck as a result of this run like Hamm did in her day.

We beat ourselves (mostly). You can’t have an absurd clearing mishap like that with Japan’s first goal. I actually thought that was on Krieger for hitting the ball while it was on the way out of the box, but maybe she couldn’t react fast enough. I haven’t seen a great angle of Jap’s 2nd goal, but it looked pretty lucky. We should have been able to put them away and didn’t. And you can’t shank PKs in the WC final. I didn’t see the Jap coach smile, but I was thinking the same thing, PKs for them was their best chance at a win.

Question for someone who knows football better: why is it that doing PKs in chronologically close matches is bad? They were saying it’s because the goalie knows where the person will go, but why can’t they just shoot elsewhere?

I’m just now starting to calm down a bit. Our back line at times looked totally out of place- the first JPN goal was terrible defense - just clear the ball!!!. JPN’s corner goal was awesome. US could not put the game away - Looked spooked in PK’s. Pulling Rapinoe out turned to be a mistake - she really makes the offense flow. I also think Rodriguez in to overload a side late second half would of helped. Morgan’s goal was gorgeous - a star in the making.

Wambach I believe is the BEST forward in the air in the world, men or women.

Get revenge at the Olympics.

As soon as Japan got the second goal I knew it was over. They had the momentum and we seemed to be playing on our heels. Boxx being denied on her PK (the second time thats happened to her this wc but she got to retake it vs Brazil) and then Lloyd doing her best Baggio impersonation sealed it. i’m happy for Japan but what a way to lose.

Baggio impression. Nice.

Baggio impression. Nice.[/quote]

Ha ha, nicely done Sir. In case some of you younger folks are wondering, I am sure that this is what Cass is reffering to. One of the best World Cup games I’ve seen, and probably the first.

Roberto Baggio penalty missed 1994 FIFA World Cup