USA Today Poll

[QUOTE=49er1;195027]Easy? How soon we forget. Wyoming beat us in their tourney last year, that UNCW (!) ended up winning. We better be ready to play anybody.[/QUOTE]
I just meant that it seems like Hawaii got the best 8 teams they could to come play and put the 4 best into one side of the bracket. Houston and Creighton are both suppossed to be good this year, Valpo is always in contention for their conference title and even thougth Wyoming did beat us last year, we are suppossed to be the better team this year.

Being under the radar is something we are used to. Problem is, once we get picked up we’re quickly shot down.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;194920]Great! That means we should have a good season. Flyin’ under the radar.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know if we have been on the radar in a long time. I know we were ranked 16th or something a couple of years ago but once we got there we collapsed. Not trying to start an argument or anything but we have to actually do something to get on a radar.

Last season Winthrop finished at #73. We were #104. Don't think Mike was kidding.
Yep, good old Mike. He is quite the Niner Fan.

[QUOTE=bball49er;195155]Yep, good old Mike. He is quite the Niner Fan.[/QUOTE]

He never misses a game.

So when does the AP poll come out?

[QUOTE=Chisox17;195167]So when does the AP poll come out?[/QUOTE]

Today.

AP Men’s Hoops Poll

Of note are:

#19 Creighton
#20 Syracuse

Others receiving votes: Xavier, Hofstra, and Houston.

if we get things done against a couple of the higher ranked teams, and win the games we are supposed to we could be sitting pretty.

While this schedule does suck, it plays well for us.

We have a legitimate shot to earn it all this season,

Hofstra is on the high end of recieving votes
Syracuse is ranked
Houston is recieving votes
Creighton is ranked
Indiana is recieving votes

In conf:
Xavier and SLU are recieving votes

[QUOTE=ninerID;196743]While this schedule does suck, it plays well for us.[/QUOTE]

What does that mean?

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;194993]So what you’re saying is we’re not willing to home-and-home them and will only play them if they accept a buy for the right price?[/QUOTE]

They were the highest cost for any of Memphis’s buy games last year. Winthrop’s RPI is always the best of the minor teams at year end. Thus, a ton of top programs want to buy them instead of a Savannah State. You’ll beat both of them but Winthrop won’t kill your RPI.

What does that mean?

Hofstra will be a team that will help our RPI, but won’t bring out the students. We win that and then N. Texas we are at 2-0. And maybe steal some votes from Hofstra.

Then the home schedule gets horrific, but we are set to win well over 20 games this year and that doesn’t hurt anyone. We could pick up wins against creighton and houston. Again, doesn’t seem like much but those are two teams that will get us votes in the AP and will also be on the bubble come March, any edge we have over them will be good.

Indiana and Syracuse we probably won’t win, we could, but I don’t think we have the depth down low for either team this year. However, they are games that if we lose really won’t hurt us.

Davidson is down, but they always get respect, and anything can happen in the SoCon.

Xavier is going to do very well this year. Dayton (a team we will play, and can beat twice) will have a better RPI this year than last, helping us further.

as always, win games, and the rest will follow.

I’m posting this here because I can’t find the other thread… We beat Guelph by the same number of points as Forida did! That is awesome! Say what you want all you pessimists, but I think that deserves some respect! Florida is ranked #1 in preseason! Hell yeah Niners!

:49ers:

[I][SIZE=2][/quick talking lawyer from car commercials] *disclaimer: this post by no means is meant to say that the Niners deserve to be number one in the nation and all claims are void in districts of the United States, Cuba and Alaska. [/SIZE][/I]

I'm posting this here because I can't find the other thread... We beat Guelph by the same number of points as Forida did! That is awesome! Say what you want all you pessimists, but I think that deserves some respect! Florida is ranked #1 in preseason! Hell yeah Niners!

:49ers:

[SIZE=2][/quick talking lawyer from car commercials] *disclaimer: this post by no means is meant to say that the Niners deserve to be number one in the nation and all claims are void in districts of the United States, Cuba and Alaska. [/SIZE]

i didnt think about that…that’s awesome!

…AWESOME.

i think, we are screwed when it comes to Hofstra. we’re in the worst situation there. we need that game several games into the season for several reasons. they’re receiving votes, they’re a very good team, but they aren’t ranked now. that is really bad for us. if they had some kind of number by the name, that would bring people out and would offer a forgivable loss and a great win. however, since they’re only receiving votes, no one knows them, if we beat them its not a big deal because they just wont receive votes anymore and wont be looked at as good, and we wont get the ‘great win’ (even tho it would be one of the most important wins we could ask for). if we lose, because they’re not ranked, people will say oh we lost to Hofstra, an unranked whotheheckarethey team…and we’ll lose casual fans in the seats. ugh. i wish they were ranked 25th…or something…this sucks.

I'm posting this here because I can't find the other thread... We beat Guelph by the same number of points as Forida did! That is awesome! Say what you want all you pessimists, but I think that deserves some respect!

While it’s nice to be optimistic, let me just point out we can blow out teams when we get steals (2001 against Long Beach State) on our first game, but that may not be indicative of the rest of the season.

Not being pessimistic, just being cautious. Again, rebounding will really have to improve.