UTSA Football

I know some of us have been concerned about the quick jump to FBS after seeing our struggles over the last few weeks, and I thought I would offer some perspective to ease our minds. In their first season, UTSA went 4-6, and they only had one win against a D-I team. That win was an OT victory against a terrible Georgia State team. They also lost to a D-3 team that season. In 2012, they were 8-4, and had a couple of wins over lower level FBS teams. This season is their first full FBS year, and while they have struggled at times, they are 3-2 in C-USA, and played a fairly competitive game against #13 OK State. UTSA has shown that a team can make the quick jump successfully, even after experiencing the struggles of being a new team.

We have a lot to be proud of this season, and the future is very bright!

[quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:1, topic:28361ā€]I know some of us have been concerned about the quick jump to FBS after seeing our struggles over the last few weeks, and I thought I would offer some perspective to ease our minds. In their first season, UTSA went 4-6, and they only had one win against a D-I team. That win was an OT victory against a terrible Georgia State team. They also lost to a D-3 team that season. In 2012, they were 8-4, and had a couple of wins over lower level FBS teams. This season is their first full FBS year, and while they have struggled at times, they are 3-2 in C-USA, and played a fairly competitive game against #13 OK State. UTSA has shown that a team can make the quick jump successfully, even after experiencing the struggles of being a new team.

We have a lot to be proud of this season, and the future is very bright![/quote]

That seems hopeful for sure, but they also have a proven coach who won a FBS National Championship in Miami in 2001. Our mountain is a little steeper and unexplored.

[quote=ā€œUniversal, post:2, topic:28361ā€][quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:1, topic:28361ā€]I know some of us have been concerned about the quick jump to FBS after seeing our struggles over the last few weeks, and I thought I would offer some perspective to ease our minds. In their first season, UTSA went 4-6, and they only had one win against a D-I team. That win was an OT victory against a terrible Georgia State team. They also lost to a D-3 team that season. In 2012, they were 8-4, and had a couple of wins over lower level FBS teams. This season is their first full FBS year, and while they have struggled at times, they are 3-2 in C-USA, and played a fairly competitive game against #13 OK State. UTSA has shown that a team can make the quick jump successfully, even after experiencing the struggles of being a new team.

We have a lot to be proud of this season, and the future is very bright![/quote]

That seems hopeful for sure, but they also have a proven coach who won a FBS National Championship in Miami in 2001. Our mountain is a little steeper and unexplored.[/quote]
I donā€™t expect us to go to a bowl game in 2016, but if we work our redshirting right we certainly have a chance in 2016 or 2017ā€¦ Would be impressive if they win 2 more and have 6 wins in just their 3rd season of football first year of a normal fbs schedule

CUSA has 3 bowls in FL, 1 in HI, & 1 in Bahamas. Tell the Admin. we only want those. If we get a LA or NM Bowl or 1 of the 2 in Dallas/Ft. Worth, no fans will go because itā€™s a sh*tty vacation. Bad location bowls Iā€™d rather we turn down so as not to get embarassed by low turnout.

As a start up we shouldnā€™t be turning down any bowl. You want to reject the one thing our program needs the most, national exposure.

Dallas is a blast to visit! Women are super hot too.

Wonā€™t apply to Charlotte at all but:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2013-04-24/first-college-football-playoff-title-game-be-held-cowboys-stadium

Guess no one will go because DFW is a terrible vacation spot. :wink:

I can think of several places I would much rather be on vacation in January than in Dallas.

I can attest to this. Julie and I went to Dallas to visit SteauA and his better half this summer and had an absolutely amazing time. There is a lot of cool stuff to do there. I highly recommend Top Golf and the bar scene in Uptown (different area from downtown).

I can attest to this. Julie and I went to Dallas to visit SteauA and his better half this summer and had an absolutely amazing time. There is a lot of cool stuff to do there. I highly recommend Top Golf and the bar scene in Uptown (different area from downtown).[/quote]

The only reason you edited the hot women part is you were with Julie and couldnā€™t lookā€¦ :wink:

I can attest to this. Julie and I went to Dallas to visit SteauA and his better half this summer and had an absolutely amazing time. There is a lot of cool stuff to do there. I highly recommend Top Golf and the bar scene in Uptown (different area from downtown).[/quote]

The only reason you edited the hot women part is you were with Julie and couldnā€™t lookā€¦ ;)[/quote]

Fact.

After watching some C-USA football this year, I think we will have some early success in the league.

You forgot the amazing food scene!

I welcome all Niners with open arms to Dallas. If weā€™re still living here in 3-4 years and we end up in that bowl game, I would definitely host a Niners bowl party. I can dreamā€¦

Lot of teams that are a total mess right now, we could do alright if that doesnā€™t change.

Louisiana and New Mexico are both great places to travel IMO.

As someone who likes to snowboard, I wouldnā€™t mind New Mexico at all come December.

As someone who likes to snowboard, I wouldnā€™t mind New Mexico at all come December.[/quote]

And as an avid skier, Iā€™m ok with New Mexico too. Taos and Santa Fe both have decent areas. Iā€™ve heard Angel Fire is good too. Plus, NM has lots of smaller areas. Or you can drive a little north to Wolf Creek, CO (most powder in CO), or Durango, or even go a little farther to Telluride (one of my favorites).

Iā€™ve done quite a bit of mixing Niner basketball with ski trips (more than one game in Massachusetts and skiing in nearby Vermont, and stopping at Snowshoe on way back from CUSA Tourney in Cinci). I might as well combine skiing with Niner football if I can.

[quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:1, topic:28361ā€]I know some of us have been concerned about the quick jump to FBS after seeing our struggles over the last few weeks, and I thought I would offer some perspective to ease our minds. In their first season, UTSA went 4-6, and they only had one win against a D-I team. That win was an OT victory against a terrible Georgia State team. They also lost to a D-3 team that season. In 2012, they were 8-4, and had a couple of wins over lower level FBS teams. This season is their first full FBS year, and while they have struggled at times, they are 3-2 in C-USA, and played a fairly competitive game against #13 OK State. UTSA has shown that a team can make the quick jump successfully, even after experiencing the struggles of being a new team.

Good post! I agree and we should do just fine in years to come. We should be even better next year with the experience we had this year and the incoming recruiting class. We shouldnā€™t of expected to be perfect against established programs and pretty good oneā€™s from what we have seen.

[quote=ā€œcsummey13, post:18, topic:28361ā€][quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:1, topic:28361ā€]I know some of us have been concerned about the quick jump to FBS after seeing our struggles over the last few weeks, and I thought I would offer some perspective to ease our minds. In their first season, UTSA went 4-6, and they only had one win against a D-I team. That win was an OT victory against a terrible Georgia State team. They also lost to a D-3 team that season. In 2012, they were 8-4, and had a couple of wins over lower level FBS teams. This season is their first full FBS year, and while they have struggled at times, they are 3-2 in C-USA, and played a fairly competitive game against #13 OK State. UTSA has shown that a team can make the quick jump successfully, even after experiencing the struggles of being a new team.

Good post! I agree and we should do just fine in years to come. We should be even better next year with the experience we had this year and the incoming recruiting class. We shouldnā€™t of expected to be perfect against established programs and pretty good oneā€™s from what we have seen.[/quote]

UTSA, like we will, had the advantage of not having to transitioning out 3-4 classes of FCS players.