UTSA's Grand Fan Plan

Great Read:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-s-grand-fan-plan-1469527.php

Interesting information on the attendance in other startups.

Yes. But, man! Their colors include orange, like THE University of Texas. That’s gotta suck. But then, maybe they aren’t as independent minded as some schools’ fans are. :wink:

I thought this was about tennis ;D

If you look it up, all the UT Universities have Orange in their colors. UTEP, UTA, UTSA all of them. Could you imagine if we had to do that crap?

[quote=“ninerID, post:1, topic:25563”]Great Read:

Interesting information on the attendance in other startups.[/quote]

Interesting article. The game day experience is the most important part about football for many. We have to knock that aspect out of the park. That’s what bothers me about not having a marching band.

[font=arial][size=small]“Everybody wants to know (how successful UTSA will be),” Heere said. “We don't know, and anybody who says they do, that's nonsense. I think the first two home games are going to be very important. A lot of people are on the fence, and they're going to lose them if they don't enjoy themselves.”[/size][/font]

[font=arial][size=small]This is going to be our challenge too. We need to have a good experience before and after the opening game to get people hooked into coming to watch a team that may or may not be very good. [/size][/font]

[font=arial][size=small]I was on a small panel to discuss football with some alumni and a rep from athletics and the thing I focused on was traffic control. Parking shouldn’t be terrible (as long as expectations are set ahead of time to ticket holders) and getting in should be ok since everyone will come in waves, however leaving campus could be a nightmare if not done right. We have to have clear lanes of traffic to exit campus from all sides and an organized plan on campus to direct people out efficiently. That day will be the first time some have been on campus in years and we don’t want the last thing they remember about the day to be traffic.[/size][/font]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:5, topic:25563”][quote=“ninerID, post:1, topic:25563”]Great Read:

Interesting article. The game day experience is the most important part about football for many. We have to knock that aspect out of the park. That’s what bothers me about not having a marching band.[/quote]

We will not have our own band but it doesn’t mean we won’t have one there that day.

ODU, gast, and Utsa will/have all started with later games than we’ll be able to w/o lights. Game should be an all day event with a football grand finale. Will be tough to do with a noon kickoff

Parking should have simple rules.

Tailgaters pay for a tailgating pass at different levels. Those around the field circle would pay the most for a tailgating pass. Then it moves outward as the price lowers. Lots CRI 2 and CRI 3, grass parking beside Hayes. Lots 19, 18 and 7. Tailgaters would get assigned parking spaces in each lot.

Parking Deck I would be reserved for high level parking pass holders that didn’t want to tailgate. Only parking pass or tailgating pass holders on that side could use the CRI entrance.

Think it goes without saying that Phillips Rd is closed to everybody but university, shuttle and emergency vehicles both before and after the game.

You come in by west entrance you go to West Deck or Cone Deck. Main entrance is closed for pregame but opened for leaving.

You come in by Mallard Creek Church Rd. you go to Union Deck or North Deck. You run the Gold Rush shuttle for gameday from Cone and North Decks.

You close Chancellors Place, Toby Creek Rd. and all entrances from John Kirk Rd.

[quote=“ninerID, post:1, topic:25563”]Great Read:

Very good article. I’m most impressed that UTSA has sold 32 suites. We aren’t even building any private suites. I think that is a mistake on our part (I think we should have a few in Halton as well). We could sell several of those I’m sure for a nice profit. It also would give a more “big-time feel” for the program/stadium.

I hope we have to bring in a lot of temporary seating, especially for the first game. I think I’ve heard we could get 18-19,000 in with temporary bleachers on each side.

Also, does anyone know if there has been any real discussion about having a late start for game 1 (bringing in temporary lighting) so we could have a more full day of build-up and tailgating?

[quote=“919R, post:10, topic:25563”][quote=“ninerID, post:1, topic:25563”]Great Read:

Very good article. I’m most impressed that UTSA has sold 32 suites. We aren’t even building any private suites. I think that is a mistake on our part (I think we should have a few in Halton as well). We could sell several of those I’m sure for a nice profit. It also would give a more “big-time feel” for the program/stadium.[/quote]

Suites are definitely where the money is made. We only have one and it is reserved for our chancellor.

There is hospitality area available above the field house. Hopefully we get creative ($$) with that.

I’d hate to see the hospitatily deck limited to just the weathiest of our donors. I have no problem with suites but we aren’t there yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see suites put in on that upper level of Halton once football moves to the Football Center and the AD offices moves down to the level below.

I am pretty sure that I remember reading somewhere that the press box will be converted to suites when the stadium expands and a new press box is built on the upper level.

Yes, this is true but we need them now and we needed some in Halton 15 years ago.

We won’t be selling suites if we also can’t sell the naming rights and so far I have heard nothing on that front either.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:12, topic:25563”]I’d hate to see the hospitatily deck limited to just the weathiest of our donors. I have no problem with suites but we aren’t there yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see suites put in on that upper level of Halton once football moves to the Football Center and the AD offices moves down to the level below.[/quote]

I disagee. We have to be “there” right now. I’m talking atleast 5-6 nice suites. I guarantee we could sell those. Did you read the part about UTSA already selling 32 of them and this is a school with a much smaller fanbase (and less success) than ours. They averaged 1500 last year for bball and their all-time attendance record was 4,000+…surely we could sell a handful of these for fball or bball right now (Halton, Belks, BoA, Transamerica, TIAA-Cref, Duke Energy, etc).

Those aren’t directly related, but Judy was quoted a month or 2 ago in the Clt Biz Journal that we were close on naming rights for the field and in discussions for the stadium and fieldhouse as well as other “smaller” naming rights.

Those aren’t directly related, but Judy was quoted a month or 2 ago in the Clt Biz Journal that we were close on naming rights for the field and in discussions for the stadium and fieldhouse as well as other “smaller” naming rights.[/quote]For anyone curious, this is the quote from the article:

[font=Tahoma][size=14px]Student fees will pay most of the operating and capital costs for football. The school is raising money through the sale of seat licenses — 3,357 have been sold to date, generating $4.5 million — and gifts. The latter totals $1.8 million from 17 donors. Rose wants more private contributions and is in talks with unnamed parties to put a corporate or family name on the stadium ($5 million minimum), the playing field ($2.5 million) and fieldhouse ($2.5 million).[/size][/font]
I disagee. We have to be "there" right now. I'm talking atleast 5-6 nice suites. I guarantee we could sell those. Did you read the part about UTSA already selling 32 of them and this is a school with a much smaller fanbase (and less success) than ours. They averaged 1500 last year for bball and their all-time attendance record was 4,000+.......surely we could sell a handful of these for fball or bball right now (Halton, Belks, BoA, Transamerica, TIAA-Cref, Duke Energy, etc).

UTSA doesn’t have a direct competitor in Football in their local market either. They also have an FBS membership locked up and a facility they didn’t have to pay for that already came with luxury suites installed. IF we convert the old AD offices to suites in Halton and can sell them, and IF we can expand the stadium in a short term then they can build suites on the other side or convert the press box to suites at the stadium.

Those aren't directly related, but Judy was quoted a month or 2 ago in the Clt Biz Journal that we were close on naming rights for the field and in discussions for the stadium and fieldhouse as well as other "smaller" naming rights.

Is this the one you’re talking about?

Student fees will pay most of the operating and capital costs for football. The school is raising money through the sale of seat licenses — 3,357 have been sold to date, generating $4.5 million — and gifts. The latter totals $1.8 million from 17 donors. Rose wants more private contributions and is in talks with unnamed parties to put a corporate or family name on the stadium ($5 million minimum), the playing field ($2.5 million) and fieldhouse ($2.5 million).

That doesn’t sound like we’re close to a naming deal.

Judy’s been saying for a year now that we’ve been talking to folks about naming rights. So far that’s just talk and nothing more. If she said we are almost at a stadium naming deal then that would have been significant but I don’t remember anything close to that recently.

Anyone else notice from this quote that our offering prices for naming rights have been cut in half?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:9, topic:25563”]Parking should have simple rules.

Tailgaters pay for a tailgating pass at different levels. Those around the field circle would pay the most for a tailgating pass. Then it moves outward as the price lowers. Lots CRI 2 and CRI 3, grass parking beside Hayes. Lots 19, 18 and 7. Tailgaters would get assigned parking spaces in each lot.

Parking Deck I would be reserved for high level parking pass holders that didn’t want to tailgate. Only parking pass or tailgating pass holders on that side could use the CRI entrance.

Think it goes without saying that Phillips Rd is closed to everybody but university, shuttle and emergency vehicles both before and after the game.

You come in by west entrance you go to West Deck or Cone Deck. Main entrance is closed for pregame but opened for leaving.

You come in by Mallard Creek Church Rd. you go to Union Deck or North Deck. You run the Gold Rush shuttle for gameday from Cone and North Decks.

You close Chancellors Place, Toby Creek Rd. and all entrances from John Kirk Rd.[/quote]

The Admin or whoever, should have a dialogue with CATS about extra service on game days.