UTSA's Grand Fan Plan

[quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:19, topic:25563ā€]

I disagee. We have to be ā€œthereā€ right now. Iā€™m talking atleast 5-6 nice suites. I guarantee we could sell those. Did you read the part about UTSA already selling 32 of them and this is a school with a much smaller fanbase (and less success) than ours. They averaged 1500 last year for bball and their all-time attendance record was 4,000+ā€¦surely we could sell a handful of these for fball or bball right now (Halton, Belks, BoA, Transamerica, TIAA-Cref, Duke Energy, etc).

UTSA doesnā€™t have a direct competitor in Football in their local market either. They also have an FBS membership locked up and a facility they didnā€™t have to pay for that already came with luxury suites installed. IF we convert the old AD offices to suites in Halton and can sell them, and IF we can expand the stadium in a short term then they can build suites on the other side or convert the press box to suites at the stadium.

Those aren't directly related, but Judy was quoted a month or 2 ago in the Clt Biz Journal that we were close on naming rights for the field and in discussions for the stadium and fieldhouse as well as other "smaller" naming rights.

Is this the one youā€™re talking about?

Student fees will pay most of the operating and capital costs for football. The school is raising money through the sale of seat licenses ā€” 3,357 have been sold to date, generating $4.5 million ā€” and gifts. The latter totals $1.8 million from 17 donors. Rose wants more private contributions and is in talks with unnamed parties to put a corporate or family name on the stadium ($5 million minimum), the playing field ($2.5 million) and fieldhouse ($2.5 million).

That doesnā€™t sound like weā€™re close to a naming deal.

Judyā€™s been saying for a year now that weā€™ve been talking to folks about naming rights. So far thatā€™s just talk and nothing more. If she said we are almost at a stadium naming deal then that would have been significant but I donā€™t remember anything close to that recently.

Anyone else notice from this quote that our offering prices for naming rights have been cut in half?[/quote]

Iā€™m fairly certain that even if a deal had been struck that we would not have heard about it publically yet. Most stadium names are not announced until the buildings are complete (and in our case, a little closer to kickoff).

Selling the suites would only be half the challenge, getting people into them is the other. People already complain about all of the empty seats in section 121 in Halton even though they are sold. When a company buys 5-10 seats (or a suite) and tries to give the tickets to their employees or customers and nobody wants them it does not help us much. I think it may be better to generate the demand before we build them, but I am glad that they seemed to have included it in the plans up front.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

UTSA has sold 9101 season tickets.

[quote=ā€œninerID, post:23, topic:25563ā€]http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

UTSA has sold 9101 season tickets.[/quote]

Repeat after me: ā€œItā€™s Tex-asā€.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:21, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:19, topic:25563ā€]

I disagee. We have to be ā€œthereā€ right now. Iā€™m talking atleast 5-6 nice suites. I guarantee we could sell those. Did you read the part about UTSA already selling 32 of them and this is a school with a much smaller fanbase (and less success) than ours. They averaged 1500 last year for bball and their all-time attendance record was 4,000+ā€¦surely we could sell a handful of these for fball or bball right now (Halton, Belks, BoA, Transamerica, TIAA-Cref, Duke Energy, etc).

UTSA doesnā€™t have a direct competitor in Football in their local market either. They also have an FBS membership locked up and a facility they didnā€™t have to pay for that already came with luxury suites installed. IF we convert the old AD offices to suites in Halton and can sell them, and IF we can expand the stadium in a short term then they can build suites on the other side or convert the press box to suites at the stadium.

Those aren't directly related, but Judy was quoted a month or 2 ago in the Clt Biz Journal that we were close on naming rights for the field and in discussions for the stadium and fieldhouse as well as other "smaller" naming rights.

Is this the one youā€™re talking about?

Student fees will pay most of the operating and capital costs for football. The school is raising money through the sale of seat licenses ā€” 3,357 have been sold to date, generating $4.5 million ā€” and gifts. The latter totals $1.8 million from 17 donors. Rose wants more private contributions and is in talks with unnamed parties to put a corporate or family name on the stadium ($5 million minimum), the playing field ($2.5 million) and fieldhouse ($2.5 million).

That doesnā€™t sound like weā€™re close to a naming deal.

Judyā€™s been saying for a year now that weā€™ve been talking to folks about naming rights. So far thatā€™s just talk and nothing more. If she said we are almost at a stadium naming deal then that would have been significant but I donā€™t remember anything close to that recently.

Anyone else notice from this quote that our offering prices for naming rights have been cut in half?[/quote]

Iā€™m fairly certain that even if a deal had been struck that we would not have heard about it publically yet. Most stadium names are not announced until the buildings are complete (and in our case, a little closer to kickoff).[/quote]

If I had paid for the naming rights, I would have announced that the day the contract was signed. Get the most out of your advertising dollar, no? All the signs, news, etc. would talk about the construction of the XYZ Inc. Stadium, the Future Home of Charlotte 49ers Football.

If youā€™re going to do it, thereā€™s no benefit in holding back on the name is all Iā€™m sayinā€™.

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:24, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œninerID, post:23, topic:25563ā€]http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

Repeat after me: ā€œItā€™s Tex-asā€.[/quote]

I didnā€™t read the whole article, but it should be noted that these are season tickets, not seat licenses.

We very well could approach that number if FSLā€™s were not in the picture.

[quote=ā€œRoasty, post:26, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œ49er1, post:24, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œninerID, post:23, topic:25563ā€]http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

I didnā€™t read the whole article, but it should be noted that these are season tickets, not seat licenses.

We very well could approach that number if FSLā€™s were not in the picture.[/quote]

Good point. Once our season tix go on sale, weā€™ll see how many non-FSLs are sold. Til thenā€¦
Anyway, we HAD to have FSLs to get good-faith money to show the world ā€œitā€™s timeā€. Plus we needed a stadium from scratch. As someone once said, ā€œapples and orangesā€. ::slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:27, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œRoasty, post:26, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œ49er1, post:24, topic:25563ā€][quote=ā€œninerID, post:23, topic:25563ā€]http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

We very well could approach that number if FSLā€™s were not in the picture.[/quote]

Good point. Once our season tix go on sale, weā€™ll see how many non-FSLs are sold. Til thenā€¦
Anyway, we HAD to have FSLs to get good-faith money to show the world ā€œitā€™s timeā€. Plus we needed a stadium from scratch. As someone once said, ā€œapples and orangesā€. ::)[/quote]

Yup, except during the exact moment Iā€™m writing the yearly check, I have no problem with seat licenses. Fantasy dollars need to come from somewhereā€¦

I, like you, just donā€™t like unfair comparisons against how our football plans have been coming along.