vincent grier

did anybody see grier’s performance tonight?

(minnesota vs. syracuse)?

[i]Originally posted by Bballaeric20[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 01:28 AM [b] did anybody see grier's performance tonight? [/b]
I did. Too bad he wasn't willing to be a role player for one more season. Still not sure he would have fit the system. He's shooting 29% from 3. Maybe he could have played point some for us but still don't think he would have be out Eddie and Brendan.

It was best for both parties for him to go elsewhere. He can play, but he doesn’t fit the role of a SG here, but fits that very well at Minnesota. You would be wasting his talents by playing him at PG, and no way he is playing over Basden at the 3, he wouldn’t start at the 3 until what would have been his senior year here.

Agreed. Heckuva player, glad he’s doing well, but he just didn’t fit in here…

I tend to disagree…he drops 32 points against Wisconsin (scores over 1/2 of the team’s points) and is averaging over 16 points in the Big Ten. Not too shabby. He has really grown and seems to know how to get the ball to the rack. I was and am impressed with the way he has played this year. He may be 1st team All-Big Ten and if he stays around will have some attention for All-American potentially next year. This is the kind of guy you mold your offense after. Take a look at Withers…he doesn’t seem to fit in our system perfectly as we can’t seem to get him the ball, and we should be setting him up a lot more.

I wish we still had Grier but I’m glad to see him playing so well.

Does minnesota have any other weapons? Does he ever pass the ball or does he shoot it every time he touches it?

Next year, we would of liked to have him.

This tells you a lot about Coach as a talent evaluator, look what the guys he liked are doing:

Grier - minn.
Q Greer - Depaul
shooting guard from WVU, went initially to St. Bon.

If those three guys are on the same team they are a CUSA contender and would look a lot like our team. Eddie, Withers and plavich.

Maybe VG has matured and become the player we thought we had coming in. Sometimes a kid has to leave to grow and it looks like we could really use him now. Problem is he probably never matures and becomes the player his is now if he didn’t leave. Catch 22. What do you think the folks at Vandy are thinking???

When I checked Minnesota’s roster a couple of weeks ago only one other player was averaging double digits in points, and it was around 10 or 11.

Remember Grier’s first 12 free throw attempts his frosh year? Missed them all, and they were not “rimming out”. He’s over 80% from the charity stripe this year.

We could use him at the two.

[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 03:09 PM [b] When I checked Minnesota's roster a couple of weeks ago only one other player was averaging double digits in points, and it was around 10 or 11.

Remember Grier’s first 12 free throw attempts his frosh year? Missed them all, and they were not “rimming out”. He’s over 80% from the charity stripe this year.

We could use him at the two. [/b]

I don’t think anybody doubts we could use him at the 2(behind Plavich) and 3 (behind Basden). He didn’t want to come off of the bench for one more year though.

Actually, you guys have him coming off the bench for 3 years. No way a guy like that deserves to be on the bench for 3 years. Bobby probably told him he wouldn’t start over Plavich, which is a shame, because I think VG could and probably would be starting over PLav by now at most any other school. Nothing against Plavich, but VG has more potential and a better all around game.

It’s one of the things that has always bothered me about Bobby, he has certain guys he wants to play no matter what (Curtis Nash anyone?) even if it may hurt our team for years to come.

It doesn’t matter, VG’s at Minnesota, and will likely be in the NBA this year or next. He’s fun to watch though.

You’re right about the 3 years, I forgot he had to sit one. But still, it’s more the system than the player. He’s shooting 29% from 3 where as Plavich is shooting 40%. Aside from the numbers, punching a teammate in the face the night before a game never helps.

I agree, there were a lot of problems that year, and I think he got nailed with a lot of the blame. To be fair, M9H is the one who persuaded me. He’s been on VG’s bandwagon all along, and the more I think about it, the more I think VG wasn’t the only guilty party involved.

VG had a whale of a game but did you see how many shots he took against Wisc. That is why he is at Minn. They gave him what he wanted and expected at Charlotte, a team built completely around him. VG had a lot more offers than Minn. but chose the path he did for specific reasons. It seems to be working out for him. More power to him he is a great athlete but already a NBA player.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 12:26 AM [b] VG had a whale of a game but did you see how many shots he took against Wisc. That is why he is at Minn. It seems to be working out for him. [/b]
Like POwerbait said, I'm pretty biased when it comes to Vincent. Kris Humphries skipped out on Duke so he could be "the man" for the Gophers, they didn't even make the NIT last year (under .500). Minnesota has more wins than anybody predicted they would. It's working out for the program, not just VG.

yeah… do you guys think he’s NBA bound?

Be careful bashing him. We might end up seeing him and the Gophers in the torney. Would be interesting to watch him and Basden go at it.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 11:26 PM [b] VG had a whale of a game but did you see how many shots he took against Wisc. That is why he is at Minn. They gave him what he wanted and expected at Charlotte, a team built completely around him. VG had a lot more offers than Minn. but chose the path he did for specific reasons. It seems to be working out for him. More power to him he is a great athlete but already a NBA player. [/b]
TSD, I heard that actually a lot of teams backed off Grier because of his reputation/troubled past and Minnesota decided to take a chance. They had too. They were desperate and it's paying off for them now, at least in the win column.
[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 12:26 AM [b] VG had a whale of a game but did you see how many shots he took against Wisc. That is why he is at Minn. They gave him what he wanted and expected at Charlotte, a team built completely around him. VG had a lot more offers than Minn. but chose the path he did for specific reasons. It seems to be working out for him. More power to him he is a great athlete but already a NBA player. [/b]
I had mentioned that before that the offense definitely runs through him in Minn. That would have never happened here. I'm not surprised he's putting up the points, but I am surprised they are still winning in spite of it.