VOTE FOR FOOTBALL!!!

Click on the link and scroll down to the bottem right and vote for whatever it takes to have football: http://www.nineronline.com/home/

Prior to voting “yes,” I have a question. I’ve heard reports of financial commitments and pledges that seem substantial. How much money is actually committed (beyond verbal) and sitting in the development office? It’s great to get committments, but how much of that has actually been translated into cash gifts to the university?

i doubt any. We aren’t in the business of getting REAL money, other than through tshirt sales and such. We are mearly a gauge of the need for football, and an amplifier for the ever beating drum in the cry for football.

Oh yeah… put me down for any amount baby

Prior to voting "yes," I have a question. I've heard reports of financial commitments and pledges that seem substantial. How much money is actually committed (beyond verbal) and sitting in the development office? It's great to get committments, but how much of that has actually been translated into cash gifts to the university?

My money is sitting in my pocket. The point is that my pledged contributions are pledges above and beyond what I am already donating. If we don’t have a football program, the money will go towards my get out of debt fund.:wink:

The 43% that voted for “I would pay any amount necessary” must be spending mommy and daddy’s or Uncle Sam’s money. :wow: If you’re paying your own way for tuition, $400+ per year is a pretty big deal.

Good articles in favor of. Not only are they good, they are written SO MUCH BETTER than the crap that came out against.

Reading about UNCP getting a team just made my blood boil.

What I’d like to see is the administration actually respond to questions with something other than what they have. We never get specifics, just vague answers. I want to know

1. Has this issue been seriously discussed since the supposed study pre-9/11?

2. It is a fact that our conference affiliation for the rest of our teams will suffer without football, and thus our team’s ability to be competitive. Is the adminstration’s complete lack of effort with regard to football not an acceptance of conference mediocrity and mid-major status for the rest of our teams? Why is that even acceptable to anyone who has the school’s best interests at heart?

3. Given the willingness this adminstration seems to have to let our teams suffer why not come out and admit that where we are is where we will stay and that there is no intention to try and improve the situation?

4. How can you justify a school the size of UNCP being able to put together a football team and then come back and tell people it’s not feasible for Charlotte? Is it really this administration’s belief that UNCP gets more people to their basketball games than we do?

This whole process just irritates me. I want real answers and I believe we’re entitled to them.

The 43% that voted for "I would pay any amount necessary" must be spending mommy and daddy's or Uncle Sam's money. :wow: If you're paying your own way for tuition, $400+ per year is a pretty big deal.

Tuition and fees are cheap in NC compared to most other states. I would gladly pay $400 more to have a football team. If you think about it, State Penn is $6000 a semester for in-state students. UNCC students pay $2000 or thereabouts. I would pay $2400 to get a great education and watch football at the same time. Would you?

[QUOTE=X-49er;192791]The 43% that voted for “I would pay any amount necessary” must be spending mommy and daddy’s or Uncle Sam’s money. :wow: If you’re paying your own way for tuition, $400+ per year is a pretty big deal.[/QUOTE]

If you cant swing an extra 33 dollars a month for football…then you really are in bad shape!

Good articles in favor of. Not only are they good, they are written SO MUCH BETTER than the crap that came out against.

Reading about UNCP getting a team just made my blood boil.

What I’d like to see is the administration actually respond to questions with something other than what they have. We never get specifics, just vague answers. I want to know

1. Has this issue been seriously discussed since the supposed study pre-9/11?

2. It is a fact that our conference affiliation for the rest of our teams will suffer without football, and thus our team’s ability to be competitive. Is the adminstration’s complete lack of effort with regard to football not an acceptance of conference mediocrity and mid-major status for the rest of our teams? Why is that even acceptable to anyone who has the school’s best interests at heart?

3. Given the willingness this adminstration seems to have to let our teams suffer why not come out and admit that where we are is where we will stay and that there is no intention to try and improve the situation?

4. How can you justify a school the size of UNCP being able to put together a football team and then come back and tell people it’s not feasible for Charlotte? Is it really this administration’s belief that UNCP gets more people to their basketball games than we do?

This whole process just irritates me. I want real answers and I believe we’re entitled to them.

I will ask these questions…

It won’t let me vote without signing up.
$400 a year increase can be steep for those on a tight income.
I suggest we start a scholarship fund open to those who pay their own way & are living hand to mouth. I had already brought this up on this board about 4-5 months ago, & I pledged to contribute $200 to it the 1st year. Maybe we could get Alums & Businesses to donate. We could sell sponsorships for the Football Fund Scholarship for Working Students.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;192794]Tuition and fees are cheap in NC compared to most other states. I would gladly pay $400 more to have a football team. If you think about it, State Penn is $6000 a semester for in-state students. UNCC students pay $2000 or thereabouts. I would pay $2400 to get a great education and watch football at the same time. Would you?[/QUOTE]

That’s $800 per year for 4-5 years for the parent or student, whomever is paying. $3200-$4000 amounts almost to an extra year of college to attend 20-30 football games while you are there. Basically, if I’m a student, you’re asking me if I want to buy a season ticket for football for $800+. My answer would be h#!! no!! I wouldn’t pay that for a season ticket as an alum. The average income in Penn is $5,145 higher per year than it is in North Carolina. It would make sense that their tuition costs are proportionately higher. Their state college system must not give as much of a discount to in-state students.

[QUOTE]If you cant swing an extra 33 dollars a month for football…then you really are in bad shape![/QUOTE]

If I were a student trying to work my way through college paying my own tuition, $33/month is a lot of money. Would you pay $800 for a single season ticket? If you wouldn’t, then don’t expect the students or their parents to absorb that cost either.

[QUOTE]4. How can you justify a school the size of UNCP being able to put together a football team and then come back and tell people it’s not feasible for Charlotte? Is it really this administration’s belief that UNCP gets more people to their basketball games than we do?
[/QUOTE]

Part of it is that they are a Division II school with no current aspirations of being D1-AA or higher. It doesn’t cost near as much to run a DII or DIII program as it does to run an I-AA or D1 program. We could certainly play DII and I think I-AA right now. The problem is that nobody wants to stay there or stay there for a long period of time (15 years or more). Thus, you’re basically having to prepare as if you are starting a D1 program. Most, not all but most, will be crying for a D1 program less than three years after we started an I-AA program. If the majority would support an I-AA program until we were ready financially to move to I-A, then I think our athletic administration would be more interested if they shared the same philosophy. Even Chancellor Dubois has said that he is not interested in staying at the I-AA level no longer than the NCAA makes us. Thus, it seems that if we are going to start a football program we need DI funds. That’s a lot more than what UNC-P has calculated.

800 bucks a year is not a fair representation. I don’t know where that figure came from, but it is overboard. 200, or 17 bucks a month. would be more than beneficial and would be acceptable.

I said 100-200 a semester. 400 plus a semester is a lot of money. School costs enough for my parents, I dont’ want to increase their financial burden further. I could personally handle a 100-200 dollar increase, but not much more than that. 200 a semester would be 400 a more a year which would be around 8 million a year anyway. Student fees woudln’t have to increase that much anyway since student fees don’t cover scholarships.

Tuition and fees are cheap in NC compared to most other states. I would gladly pay $400 more to have a football team. If you think about it, State Penn is $6000 a semester for in-state students. UNCC students pay $2000 or thereabouts. I would pay $2400 to get a great education and watch football at the same time. Would you?

I mistyped. I meant to say $2200 a semester for a total of $400 a year. Instead, I added all $400 to the semester tab. And actually, it would end up being $2149.50 per semester with the additional $200 as opposed to the $1949.50 they charge this semester.

If I were a student trying to work my way through college paying my own tuition, $33/month is a lot of money. Would you pay $800 for a single season ticket? If you wouldn't, then don't expect the students or their parents to absorb that cost either.

I would give up 2 cases of beer a month to have a team.

The key to me is only 18% voted for less than an amount realistically necessary to either build towards or sustain a football team. The 9% of 100-200 I’ll consider the tweener amount. So that would mean 74% are on board for realistically what it would cost.

We could certainly play DII and I think I-AA right now. The problem is that nobody wants to stay there or stay there for a long period of time (15 years or more).

I disagree totally. I-AA is perfect for us and we would move to DI when the time was right, be that 5 years or 15. There are very, very successful football programs, many in our state, that are I-AA and fans flock to see their games.

Thus, you're basically having to prepare as if you are starting a D1 program. Most, not all but most, will be crying for a D1 program less than three years after we started an I-AA program.

I’m not sure where you get the idea that “most” would be crying for a D1 program. If we’re not successful at 1-AA why would there be an outcry for D1? You can still play D1 schools as 1-AA in pay games, but I don’t believe for a second that “most” would cry out for D1 if we didn’t even have a successful 1-AA team for the same reason that “most” wouldn’t cry out for us to play the tar holes or Duke in basketball if we were a terrible team. People’s cry for greater recognition and quality opponents stems from success, not failure.

If the majority would support an I-AA program until we were ready financially to move to I-A, then I think our athletic administration would be more interested if they shared the same philosophy. Even Chancellor Dubois has said that he is not interested in staying at the I-AA level no longer than the NCAA makes us. Thus, it seems that if we are going to start a football program we need DI funds. That's a lot more than what UNC-P has calculated.

I seriously doubt it. It’s one in a long line of excuses this adminstration hands out as justification for not even pursuing it. The Chancellor, intentionally or not, is putting an unrealistic stipulation as a prerequisite for starting in the first place.

We could be very successful, with very happy fans, with a I-AA that was successful. And we don’t need D1 funds to do it.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;192821]I would give up 2 cases of beer a month to have a team.[/QUOTE]

I would too, but I don’t drink. :biglaugh:

I paid my way and am now paying my wife through Charlotte. I would have no problem with an increase.