Wake board discusses Iti situation

I know we’ve covered the Iti situation in detail, but he has also been mentioned on the Wake board. It seems their fans either love us or hate us, & it seems they are all aware of Iti. Some of them gave Withers favorable mention. Some of those Wake fans simply do not like us.

Iti on Wake Board

Why doesnt wake like us? Did we beat the living piss out of them on their home floor, like we did to State?

I can’t believe what a bunch of discontent snobs these wake fans are. I’m a proud charlotte grad but I won’t even pretend that charlotte is a better school than wake. But as far as basketball goes we are a class program an I don’t think their coach has two masters with a 3.96 GPA. At least we are consistent rivals with cincy, and besides recent years and the tim duncan era when was wake not getting slammed by the rest of the ACC. Prosser and lutz are both quality guys who regularly drive huggins to drinkin’, can’t we get together on that one, and oh, by the way, which program took it to cincy at home last year? I don’t see why they are so concerned about Iti, they have a center of their own who disappears on the court all the time, and I think the only trick that eric williams picked up over the summer is the ability to get sick on cue. Why don’t you just sit on that #1 ranking you got handed and be happy until the season actually starts and some ACC team embarasses you again. What kind of mascot is an evil church official anyway?

[i]Originally posted by DownwithNBA[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 08:13 AM [b] What kind of mascot is an evil church official anyway? [/b]
LOL I have always wondered the exact same thing
[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Aug 4 2004, 11:12 PM [b] Why doesnt wake like us? Did we beat the living piss out of them on their home floor, like we did to State? [/b]
Chisox, a small but vocal portion of Wake fans dislike us for a number of reasons & none are very valid. Here are a few:
  1. Some of their fans got mad at Bobby when he announced he was not interested in the Wake job after Odom left & claimed Bobby was never approached by Wake (I’ll dispute that because I have an excellent source that states otherwise).

2. Some Wake grads who live in the Charlotte are a little jealous. They got upset a few years ago when they found out they were not the primary team receiving radio coverage on FNZ (if a Niner game was played at the same time as a Wake game, the Niner game was broadcast).

3. This one is a little ridiculous. A few years ago, one of our posters posted 10 excellent reasons why a recruit (may have been Justin Gray) should attend Charlotte rather than Wake. The list was hilarious but also sort of true. One of their fans saw it & posted it on their boards. The original posting was for fun but a few Wake fans did not see it that way. Some of our posters were banned from their board for simply saying they were 49ers. I think the moderator responsible for the banning is one of the guys bashing our program.

4. Most of their "anti-9er"s are from the pro-acc crowd (you know, the “acc is best conference in the world” crowd & consider us & CUSA a little too close for comfort. I’ll stop on this one because I realize this one may be hitting a little too close to home.

Most Wake fans have a great deal of respect for our program, but I was actually asked to not wear my Charlotte 49er sweatshirt to any more of their games a few years ago by one of their more obnoxious fans who thinks he owns Joel Coliseum. I laughed at him & he threatened to have me ejected from the coliseum. I told him he was acting like a chapel hill fan… get the picture? Wake fans have been around chapel hill fans for too long.

Some people obviously live in very small worlds. I simply do not have time for them.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 09:58 AM [b] Chisox, a small but vocal portion of Wake fans dislike us for a number of reasons & none are very valid. Here are a few: [/b]
Over40, what do you think the guy meant by ask Skip Prosser (about Lutz)? Did he and Bobby have a run-in at some point? I'm wondering if it's about scheduling.

I went to the FSU vs WFU game last year at the LJVM, and on the way out, I ran across another person sporting a Niner sweatshirt. I was properly dressed in my Niner hoodie and hat B)

Prosser & Lutz know each other. Not sure how well, but apparently they respect and like one another.

I wore my Niner cap to several Wake games and caught no grief. Did get a few strange looks though.

I still think that the L-J arena is a dump. Doesn’t even have a scoreboard. Their fan base is fairly grey haired. Not a bad thing though - those tend to be the big $ folks.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 10:15 AM [b] I still think that the L-J arena is a dump. . [/b]
If you think the LJVM is a dump, then you should have seen the place the Deacs played in before that!!! :eek:

Basically a hockey arena that had one temperature setting – hotter than hell!

Saw the Niners beat the Deacs there back during the Mullins era. Last time we played them in W-S, as I recall… :rolleyes:

Did we not beat Wake when Mugsy Bogues was playing there?

Yes, we did. It was a great moment in Niner hoops history!!! :smiley:

My friend and I had season tickets in the old coliseum while we were growing up (age 12-17) at Wake. Our parents would drop us off and our seats were in the top and in the corner. We scouted around till we kept seeing the same seats empty three rows up from half court. We went down and sat in them and realized there was a glitch to the ticket system. Those seats and row did not match up to any ticket numbers. We sat there for four years behind a lady with blue hair who would read at every game , the whole game. It was some of the best times as a kid. I got to see Ralph Sampson, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Larry Nance, Rod Griffin and all the other greats. The place was a dump and very hot but had great pizza and better than any camp you could have sent me to.

[b]Over40, what do you think the guy meant by ask Skip Prosser (about Lutz)? Did he and Bobby have a run-in at some point? I'm wondering if it's about scheduling.[/b]

What I have been told is that Skip was asked on a radio show about playing us and said he would never play us because there was nothing to gain from playing us. That angered some fans. Dave Odom was actually intersted in playing us at one point and tried to schedule us but it didn’t work out. The biggest complaint I hear from Wake fans is about Lutz saying he didn’t want the Wake job.

I grew up in Winston and I still follow Wake Forest hoops but some of their fans recently have turned into complete a$$holes.

Odom wanted no part of us. Why do you think we don’t play SC anymore?

Tintin

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 11:45 AM [b]
[b]Over40, what do you think the guy meant by ask Skip Prosser (about Lutz)? Did he and Bobby have a run-in at some point? I'm wondering if it's about scheduling.[/b]

What I have been told is that Skip was asked on a radio show about playing us and said he would never play us because there was nothing to gain from playing us. That angered some fans. Dave Odom was actually intersted in playing us at one point and tried to schedule us but it didn’t work out. The biggest complaint I hear from Wake fans is about Lutz saying he didn’t want the Wake job.

I grew up in Winston and I still follow Wake Forest hoops but some of their fans recently have turned into complete a$$holes. [/b]

switch, I could not agree with you more. I also grew up in WS & then returned after graduating from Charlotte, stayed there many years, & still spend a lot of time there. SOME of their fans have changed for the worse.

Moss, the FSU game was one of the few I went to last year & I believe I recall saying something to another Niner after the game right outside the coliseum.

NA, the sweatshirt incident happened as Wake was losing to Cincy a few years ago & the fan in front of me overheard me tell my buddy that the only team in NC that can beat Cincy was Charlotte.

Run, I was also at the game in the old coliseum when we beat Wake.

Sideshow, I used to sit on the fron row of every Wake game when in Junior High & High School, & I used a strategy similar to yours.

Lefty, your question has already been answered.

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 10:14 AM [b]I went to the FSU vs WFU game last year at the LJVM, and on the way out, I ran across another person sporting a Niner sweatshirt. I was properly dressed in my Niner hoodie and hat B)[/b]
I went to the Wake/Cincy game in Joel last season and sat near a guy with a Niner hat on; I had my Green Beat Cincy shirt on.... (the gf's family are big time Wake people) but I was rooting for UC over the ACC deep down.

Isn’t being hated and talked bad about by another school’s fans the #1 sign that you are the real deal? And I think the dumber the fan the bigger the compliment–thanks Hayseed and QCB.

There is one guy over there who is a royal a$$hole. He posts under the name DemonDKE. If a story comes out that is the least bit unfavorable of Charlotte he posts it. He frequently refers to us as UNC-Concord, he’s trashed about how ugly our campus is, the guy despises Lutz, and says all we do is whine about the coverage in the Charlotte O.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 02:30 PM [b] There is one guy over there who is a royal a$$hole. He posts under the name DemonDKE. If a story comes out that is the least bit unfavorable of Charlotte he posts it. He frequently refers to us as UNC-Concord, he's trashed about how ugly our campus is, the guy despises Lutz, and says all we do is whine about the coverage in the Charlotte O. [/b]
that is probably the same guy who used to be on the charlotte.com board 3 years ago that gave us hell. I think his name was "23inchdeac."