Wat hired by Mizzou

MUTigers.com: Melvin Watkins Tabbed as Missouri’s Associate Head Basketball Coach

SI.com: Former Aggies’ coach hired as Mizzou assistant

Talk about ‘strange bedfellows’. Go figure. Not sure why Wat would not be looking for another DI head coaching job, unless this is supposed to lead to one in the B12.

Or unless Quinn is on his way out. Promote from within worked pretty well for Wat back at Charlotte.

This is probably a good move for Mel. I mean, he was ok when he coached here. Then going to Texas A&M where he had a 60-111 record in 6 seasons as head coach? I’m surprised he wasn’t fired before he finally resigned. He wouldn’t received a head coaching position anywhere for the next couple of years, so this is good. At least he’s still coaching.

NinerFan,

You really should post more often… :smiley:

What is an “ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH”?

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 11:45 AM [b] MUTigers.com: [url=http://mutigers.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062104aaa.html]Melvin Watkins Tabbed as Missouri's Associate Head Basketball Coach[/url]

SI.com: Former Aggies’ coach hired as Mizzou assistant [/b]

Missouri would be nice to add to the schedule. But we never played A&M when Melvin was coaching so I don’t know.

I think this is a mistake. Snyder is dirty and Wat should stay away from him. To quote from the movie “Bad Influence”: When you get in bed with the devil, you eventually are going to have to F***, wether you want to or not. :knob: :naughty:

Get out of bed before its too late, Wat.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 03:45 PM [b] Or unless Quinn is on his way out. Promote from within worked pretty well for Wat back at Charlotte. [/b]
I'm not sure how well "promote from within" worked for Wat at Charlotte. He sat on the bench for 18 years and almost got passed over for mike Jarvis.

Another piece on Watkins - this one from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Apparently Larry Brown had something to do with Wat’s decision.

MU hires assistant to Snyder

BTW, an associate head coach is the top assistant. Dan Peters, who is serving as interim head coach at Cincy during Huggins’ suspension, is the Bearcats associate head coach. I don’t believe Bobby has bestowed that title upon anyone on the Niners staff, though Wat held it when he served under Mullins.

One more on Coach Wat…

Showmenews.com: Missouri hires Watkins

Would love to see him do well, though I’m really surprised he went to work this soon. If I had that $$$$ I’d have taken some time off to play golf.

I’m glad Melvin has another job but I hope Missouri is the right spot (for now). Should the NCAA eventually come down on the Tigers, Quinn would be gone and he would be the #1 assistant and probably hold down the fort. It should give him some stability for a year or two until a decent head coaching job opens up for him.

Does anyone know what happened to Bobby Kummer?

Snyder looks like Less Than Zero-esq, stoned to the bone Robert Doweny Jr in that picture.

Thanks for wearing tie Quinn.

The Big 12 seems to be a good place for former head coaches to land. Houston ex-coach Ray McMcCallum landed a gig with Oklahoma.

ESPN.com: McCallum previously coached Houston, Ball State