Way to show your support Observer

Seriouslyā€¦Let them run their paper. If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t read it. I donā€™t know how you guys are so bent out of shape about it. Iā€™ve never had a problem with it or with Packman. They run a business and they are both successful, are they not? Pub comes with history, although weā€™re not there yet, weā€™re working at it.

Another thing, donā€™t be just a 49er fan. Be a fan of good college basketball.

[i]Originally posted by pickman[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 01:44 PM [b] "We are nationally ranked with a HUGE game tonight, yet bitching about what page our game story ran on is really important rolleyes.gif If some of you spent as much energy recruiting fans as you did bitching about the coverage we'd have a packed house every night."

you are right, if we were no. 1 we would not get the front page every gameday and the day after. our coverage has improved, lets be thankful and move on. imo, the complaining has turned into whining and it sounds bad. [/b]

Thanks for proving the point, pickman. You know that thereā€™s a game between 2 top 30 teams tonight in Charlotte. How many people donā€™t know? How many students on this campus would have known without the efforts of many on this board?

Iā€™ll politely disagree with Mike P., he calls it promotion, Iā€™ll call it informing and the ball was dropped by the Observer today. That doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t think that coverage hasnā€™t improved by leaps and bounds. Jena is an outstanding writer.

If you want to call whatā€™s been said on the topic today as whining, you obviously havenā€™t been around too long. This has been a topic where much worse has been said in the past.

Keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

Dingā€¦next topic.

1. Ballantyne High School has more money than the University of North Carolina @ Charlotte. :lol:
  2. George Karl is close to God since heā€™s from heaven AKA Crapel Hill
  3. Nobody in Charlotte cares about the Niners accept for us.
  4. Girls high school basketball tournaments are the biggest thing to happen in sports every year.

Sarcasm aside, Jena and Mike have been providing decent coverage this year with a few glaring hiccups. We have a right to bitch but all these ACC elitists call us Forty Whiners(No #1Bearcatfan, its not spelled ā€œfourty.ā€) when we do so. Props to whoever in the thread that wrote that we should be spending our energy on recruiting these fringe fans.

PS stay out of 211 if you donā€™t wanna catch the wicked flu. Me being able to attend this game is more important than public safety.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 01:06 PM [b]We are nationally ranked with a HUGE game tonight, yet bitching about what page our game story ran on is really important [/b]
S, the page on which a story is placed does reflect its importance. If I'm the casual fan that both you and I (and everyone else on this board) want to come out to Halton and I'm looking at the Observer to make a decision, a back page story isn't going to do it.

I agree with Mike ā€“ it isnā€™t the job of the newpaper to market Charlotte athletics. What is the job of the Observer to report the news. On this very day, though, there is no other athletic event in Charlotte of more importance than the DePaul game.

My reflections on todayā€™s sports front in the Observer:

1. The Bobcats arenā€™t going anywhere this season, but I guess Carolina alum and new Nuggets coach George Karl makes for good press;

2. Those are really neat ariel color photos (plus article) of the new H.S. football stadium, but taking up over half of the sports front is a bit much;

3. Yes, the Daytona 500 is coming up, so I guess an excerpt from Observer sportswriter David Pooleā€™s new book about Tim Richmond is appropriate (not to mention the free plug for Pooleā€™s latest work);

4. I will agree that the South Carolinaā€™s upset of Kentucky deserved front page coverage.

Anyway, my 2 centsā€¦

GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 02:07 PM [b] Keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

Dingā€¦next topic. [/b]

couldnā€™t agree with you more

i apologize in advance if this article was already posted, but i thought you might be interested in some of the press you get in cincy:49ers enjoy return to top 25

ooops; same article as the salisbury post but a different headline.

Like Bobby said, ā€œPeople that know basketball know weā€™re a very good program, that weā€™re a team that can line up and play with the majority of other programs in the country. To be honest, I think nationally thatā€™s probably realized more than it is in our own state.ā€

Thanks gruehls! Did Mrs. g appreciate my surprise?

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 02:59 PM [b] Like Bobby said, "People that know basketball know we're a very good program, that we're a team that can line up and play with the majority of other programs in the country. To be honest, I think nationally that's probably realized more than it is in our own state."

Thanks gruehls! Did Mrs. g appreciate my surprise? [/b]

she did indeed HP. one of them is parked in front of the hi-def big screen. one of them she keeps closer. :wink:

interesting how a different headline accompanies that article on fox, in salisbury and in cincy.

I told you she would! :wub:

you guys are favored by 6 tonight; have basden kick seals in the groin please.

The hypocrisy is my complaint. Mike states it is not his duty to promote us, but yes, he does do a lot of promoting the acc schools. He did not today, because that gives him an excuse not to write about our game.

Yes Mike, you do promote the acc more than some papers actually located in acc cities (of which Charlotte is not). It is obvious (even to acc fans) so stop lying about it.

[i]Originally posted by gruehls[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 03:09 PM [b] you guys are favored by 6 tonight; have basden kick seals in the groin please. [/b]
Oh my god, I can't wait for Seals to check in, I KNOW he will attack when provoked.

Huggy kept James White away, but Davy Boy will have to sub that punk out and when he does, Iā€™ll get him so riled up someoneā€™s gonna get ejected.

However, the irony of who he did it to is enormous. It is hilarious in retrospect, although I thought LaVar might be a dead man walking at the time. We were kind of scared to not be wearing red at the time.

Over40, Iā€™ve always half-jokingly said that the Observer is the printed media outlet for the Charlotte Chamber. It has promoted Charlotte (as in the city) for eons! Geezā€¦