We may have lost that game...

…but those guys played their damn hearts out.

Lee left it all on the table, Dew jumped higher than i have ever seen him, Dijuan played great defense, Phil made a nice positive impact, and more.

Were mistakes made? Oh hell yeah. But you know what, I’ve been watching these games since i was a freshman in '96 (not THAT long, but long enough), and in those years i find it really difficult to think of a team that flat out tries harder and gives it everything they have.

We have a lot to correct (at the line, finishing inside, general court awareness, etc), but this is a young team and that comes with experience. Unfortunately, Lee won’t be here to have the supporting cast grow up around him…he’ll be missed but that’s college basketball, someone needs to step up, and with the way these guys play, i think they will.

enough cheerleading, on to Fordham, Richmond, Rhody, and all the way to the A10 tourney. Lets shock the world, or, the Jersey Shore, at least…

Go Niners.

...but if those guys played their damn hearts out.

moral victories are for losers

bullcrap, we are undefeated in them. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=CLT4D9RS;295049]…but if those guys played their damn hearts out.

Lee left it all on the table, Dew jumped higher than i have ever seen him, Dijuan played great defense, Phil made a nice positive impact, and more.

Were mistakes made? Oh hell yeah. But you know what, I’ve been watching these games since i was a freshman in '96 (not THAT long, but long enough), and in those years i find it really difficult to think of a team that flat out tries harder and gives it everything they have.

We have a lot to correct (at the line, finishing inside, general court awareness, etc), but this is a young team and that comes with experience. Unfortunately, Lee won’t be here to have the supporting cast grow up around him…he’ll be missed but that’s college basketball, someone needs to step up, and with the way these guys play, i think they will.

enough cheerleading, on to Fordham, Richmond, Rhody, and all the way to the A10 tourney. Lets shock the world, or, the Jersey Shore, at least…

Go Niners.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you’re saying but I am getting sick of having to remind myself “Well they played their hearts out so…” Another year of relying on the conference tournament, unreal.

Agreed, and i have high expectations for this team every year, but let’s look at what we’ve got here. I would call this year a success thus far, and I’m not trying to just drink the KoolAid here, but do you guys remember the absolute debacle last year’s team was?

Can you honestly say that you 100% expected us to go from that, to dominating this league?

If so, i think you need to step back examine the direction of the team’s progress. I’m NOT trying to say i’m satisfied with losing close games because they try hard, but what i AM saying is that as passionate as any of us are, we have to be realistic about the (lets face it) rebuilding of this program. Right now, I think we are much further along than many of us could have hoped for. That is truth.

Agreed, and i have high expectations for this team every year, but let's look at what we've got here. I would call this year a success thus far, and I'm not trying to just drink the KoolAid here, but do you guys remember the absolute debacle last year's team was?

Can you honestly say that you 100% expected us to go from that, to dominating this league?

If so, i think you need to step back examine the direction of the team’s progress. I’m NOT trying to say i’m satisfied with losing close games because they try hard, but what i AM saying is that as passionate as any of us are, we have to be realistic about the (lets face it) rebuilding of this program. Right now, I think we are much further along than many of us could have hoped for. That is truth.

everyone is happy with effort this year

I was thinking this last night,

the reason Xavier is ranked and pulls out the close ones is the upperclassmen leadership. When a guy like Lavender is shut down, a guy like Ducan, Brown, Anderson, or Raymond can light you up for 20+.

We on the other hand have only 1 senior leader, First year here for the juniors, and in the end we just choke. I was highly pissed last night, but calming down realize that we are truly a year or two away from being a serious contender. This team will be scary in the coming years, if we just keep playing good D and work the ball inside on offense, then it’s going to be fun.

Hopefully this loss will give the team a boost of confidence in the coming weeks, they’ve seen the best and stayed right with them step for step. I hope we take from this loss like the Giants did in their home loss to the Patriots :biggrin:.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;295060]I was thinking this last night,

the reason Xavier is ranked and pulls out the close ones is the upperclassmen leadership. When a guy like Lavender is shut down, a guy like Ducan, Brown, Anderson, or Raymond can light you up for 20+.

We on the other hand have only 1 senior leader, First year here for the juniors, and in the end we just choke. I was highly pissed last night, but calming down realize that we are truly a year or two away from being a serious contender. This team will be scary in the coming years, if we just keep playing good D and work the ball inside on offense, then it’s going to be fun.

Hopefully this loss will give the team a boost of confidence in the coming weeks, they’ve seen the best and stayed right with them step for step. I hope we take from this loss like the Giants did in their home loss to the Patriots :biggrin:.[/QUOTE]

Won’t disagree with your comments.

Thinking back on last night’s game, the Niners did some things incredibly well, but the errors (or problems or shortcomings) were so glaring, it gets very frustrating. I mean we took 14 or 15 more shots than they did and they made one more than we did, thats not bad luck, they valued the basketball better than we did.

But I will add that, in my opinion, we always seem to be [QUOTE]a year or two away from being a serious contender[/QUOTE] and at some point it gets incredibly frustrating.

[QUOTE=metro;295051]moral victories are for Davidson[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I think they are still #1 in the country.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;295065]Won’t disagree with your comments.

Thinking back on last night’s game, the Niners did some things incredibly well, but the errors (or problems or shortcomings) were so glaring, it gets very frustrating. I mean we took 14 or 15 more shots than they did and they made one more than we did, thats not bad luck, they valued the basketball better than we did.

But I will add that, in my opinion, we always seem to be and at some point it gets incredibly frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Just missing dozens of those chip shots right around the basket, killed us. I’d love to see a shot chart that shows misses and makes.

We need to bring Kelvin Price back to teach these guys how to finish strong.

bullcrap, we are undefeated in them. :biggrin:

Monmouth was a moral victory?

Well, that and was it just me, or did X’s players look gigantic compared to ours on the court except for Lavender? That was the first game that I felt Big Phil wasn’t so big.

Well, that and was it just me, or did X's players look gigantic compared to ours on the court except for Lavender? That was the first game that I felt Big Phil wasn't so big.
Yes, I was impressed with the size of their front line. That's probaly the reason Bobby went with Big Phil more than usual.

He went with Phil more than usual because Mack has forgotten that he’s 6’8 and thinks he’s a #2 guard who doesn’t have to play defense and bang the boards.I really appreciated Coley’s effort last night,with as little help as he was getting inside…And,1 more thing…please sit Ian just inside Phaler on the bench…he leads the country in getting shots blocked.

[QUOTE=CLT4D9RS;295049]…but those guys played their damn hearts out.

Go Niners.[/QUOTE]

May I have a hit of what you’re having? (JK) I agree. Seriously folks, isn’t our team in a “rebuilding year” and weren’t we picked 10th in the A10? I’m as critical as they come, but we need to keep this in mind, although I also get frustrated. Next year, I may not be so understanding.

their center was dominate, a sharpshooter from 3 and the line, was nailing everything. Maybe we should have been covering him better at the end

their center was dominate, a sharpshooter from 3 and the line, was nailing everything. Maybe we should have been covering him better at the end
LOL, someone was in his face and he was not open! it was desperation, the play was not for a 3
I was highly pissed last night, but calming down realize that we are truly a year or two away from being a serious contender. This team will be scary in the coming years, if we just keep playing good D and work the ball inside on offense, then it's going to be fun..
Yea definitely fun but next year is going to be a bit different than the year after that. We will lose Mack and Coley after next year... so I hope our recruits make an impact otherwise next year will be the best opportunity per se of the next couple years so I hope we take advantage of it. Only if Mack and Coley were freshmen.

This years team has beaten some good teams, lost to bad ones, given us hope, given us excitement, frustrated us, but all in all this season has been so much more fun than the past several seasons.

Its a stretch to get to the dance, but if it’s the NIT so be it. A 20 win season would be one to enjoy and should be considered good season.

No winner ever became one without taking one step at a time.

Agreed, and i have high expectations for this team every year, but let's look at what we've got here. I would call this year a success thus far, and I'm not trying to just drink the KoolAid here, but do you guys remember the absolute debacle last year's team was?

I like that.

Hopefully this loss will give the team a boost of confidence in the coming weeks, they’ve seen the best and stayed right with them step for step. I hope we take from this loss like the Giants did in their home loss to the Patriots :biggrin:.

Say no more! Say no more! Well, one more!

This years team has beaten some good teams, lost to bad ones, given us hope, given us excitement, frustrated us, but all in all this season has been so much more fun than the past several seasons.

Its a stretch to get to the dance, but if it’s the NIT so be it. A 20 win season would be one to enjoy and should be considered good season.

Amen!