WFNZ - Still Riding a Rising Tide

WFNZ rose in the rankings and tied for 16th along with WNMX ‘MIX’ 106.1FM in Charlotte area ratings (a 24% gain). At least it beat a couple Mexican channels. Who knew Charlotte had 19 radio stations?

[b]• SPORTS: Another good season for WFNZ, which climbed to No. 6 among men in the 25-54 advertiser category, and saw a 45 percent gain in its "Morning Sports Page" show year-to-year. WFNZ added a signal at 1660-AM a year ago to boost its reach. Ratings are also up at WNMX, which added the Bobcats this year.[/b]

www.charlotte.com

So how is it that Packer always claims their show is #1 in this category and that category?

it gets the best ratings of all stations in charlotte called WFNZ

[i]Originally posted by 199er9[/i]@Aug 10 2005, 04:15 PM [b] So how is it that Packer always claims their show is #1 in this category and that category? [/b]
Because they are in a category of one... :rolleyes:

They will just have to go on beating themselves.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Aug 10 2005, 07:25 PM [b] They will just have to go on beating themselves. [/b]
Isn't there a name for that?

masturbation…*

at least they make themselves happy :lol:

*fixed for ya pi

[b]masterbation.......[/b]

You would expect that a guy in the pep band could spell this word correctly. :blink:

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Aug 10 2005, 10:58 PM [b]
[b]masterbation.......[/b]

You would expect that a guy in the pep band could spell this word correctly. :blink: [/b]

Jerk. :slight_smile:

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF+Aug 11 2005, 12:14 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (UNCCTF @ Aug 11 2005, 12:14 AM)

UNCCTF is a ladies man…something about the tuba and the endless stat’s that pour out his mouth make them go :love:

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Aug 10 2005, 11:18 PM [b] UNCCTF is a ladies man...something about the tuba and the endless stat's that pour out his mouth make them go :love: [/b]
Something like that. :D

Packer is able to say that because WFNZ is the only ‘sports’ station in the market - therefore they are indeed #1 in that category. That’s the first loophole, but not the most important one.

Because during his particular timeslot, in the particular demographic they are shooting for (men 18-35), they could very well lead. Yes, it IS possible. While other stations look for women (107.9), some for African-Americans (obvious), some for men AND women 24-50 (oldies, country), etc, etc.

EVERY sports station in the country is looking for 18-35 men, since it’s the only way they can survive - because that group buys more than any other group out there and they can sell advertising for more $$$ when the deep pockets of car dealerships, strip clubs, and bar/restaurants are throwing money at them and NOT at the other stations. WFNZ MAY just lead that PARTICULAR demographic in Charlotte between 3-7pm (or whenever he’s on these days - remember, I’m not in town!), despite being 16th ‘OVERALL’. That number includes ALL timeslots. Not just Packer’s. Big difference!!! No matter how well the Morning Sports page ever does, it will NEVER take numbers away from John Boy & Billy or some of the other biggies in town. Same goes for trying to beat Rush Limbaugh in the South, etc, etc. But afternoon shows change much more frequently, so Packer can win more listeners. Here endeth the lesson.
-G-