WH chimes in on rule change

Apologies for the blatent post steal, WH:

[QUOTE=WH]To my mind, this is a monumental change, and one that could have a major impact on A-10 recruiting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/01/AR2007050102092.html

The new rule will results in one of four things, or a combination of all four.

1. More kids will enroll as Prop 48s and sit out their first year. That would not be a bad outcome. They get a chance to learn in a more structured environment and ease their way into a college program.

2. More kids will go the juco route. This would be a bad outcome. Schools in the A-10 and elsewhere might have to sign more two-year players in the future, disrupting team chemistry building. Our league has historically thrived by signing mostly four-year players, many of whom attend prep schools in the Northeast, making the area fertile recruiting ground.

What’s more, lots of kids from other parts of the country ended up at these prep schools and decided to stay in the region. Now they may head off to juco land in the Midwest and never set foot in the East. St. Louis might benefit, but no one else in the A-10.

If this scenario comes to pass, the NCAA rule will backfire.

1. Kids could head off to prep school a lot earlier, in 9th or 10th grade, to make sure they comply with the NCAA’s new four-year requirement. This would not be a bad outcome and perhaps little would change. It might even help if the prep schools are monitored and student performance increases.

2. The final and less likely option is that kids will buckle down academically starting in ninth grade and complete high school in four years. This is what the NCAA hopes, but hopes rarely turn into results. I would expect some kids who legitimately require a fifth year to graduate from high school to sue the NCAA for denying them immediate eligibility upon entering college.

All in all, I have to wonder of the Dukes of the world will benefit inordinately. They will be able to sign up the best players with the best academic profiles. And the problem the NCAA is trying to address almost certainly will not disappear. It might just move to the juco ranks.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t read the rule yet, & I voted for Bush, but I don’t think the WH should get involved w/ NCAA rules.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;236684]I haven’t read the rule yet, & I voted for Bush, but I don’t think the WH should get involved w/ NCAA rules.[/QUOTE]
:confused: [B]YOU ARE A MORON![/B]

*Uncommon, SnowConeKen needs your direction again…

To the original post, that is interesting. Wouldn’t that have disallowed Bill Walker to play?

Here’s the NCAA press release…

NCAA.org: NCAA Takes Action to Address Nontraditional High School Abuses

And from one of the usual sources…

ESPN.com: NCAA measure could also affect prep schools

:confused: [B]YOU ARE A MORON![/B]

*Uncommon, SnowConeKen needs your direction again…

LOL… I was going to say something to that effect but I didn’t feel like being mean today.
:lmao:

IMO even more reason for the big boys (BCS CONFERENCES) to break away from the NCAA.

What does WH stand for?

If WH doesn’t stand for White House, then I’m not the Moron, the author of the post is deceiving people.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;236701]What does WH stand for?[/QUOTE]
He’s never told me though I’ll admit I have never asked him. Hmmm…

BTW, I asked WH if he was going to do an overview of A-10 recruiting once the spring signing period ends on the 16th but, alas, he isn’t. Did say he was already working on his A-10 previews for 07-08, though. He told me the Niners will be difficult to forecast but there is talent on the team.

He's never told me though I'll admit I have never asked him. Hmmm...

So it’s not something I should know then?

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;236700]IMO even more reason for the big boys (BCS CONFERENCES) to break away from the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think this is going to happen and when it does being left out of a BCS conference will kill us.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;236702]If WH doesn’t stand for White House, then I’m not the Moron, the author of the post is deceiving people.[/QUOTE]

You [U]weren’t[/U] kidding? :wow:

I actually laughed at what I thought was a pretty good SCK joke. :hammer:

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;236702]If WH doesn’t stand for White House, then I’m not the Moron, the author of the post is deceiving people.[/QUOTE]
Okay, so I see where you were coming from… however, that doesn’t mean you aren’t a moron… Most around here ought to know who WH is by now though.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;236701]What does WH stand for?[/QUOTE]

I’m gonna go way out on a limb here and guess they’re his initials. Got it KH?

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess they're his initials. Got it KH?

OK, let me be more forward. Usually on here I know what/who someone is talking about. This is an instance that I don’t know what WH is refering to.

SO, WTF is it refering to? I still don’t know. A person? OK, sure how do I know it’s not an abreviation like NA is for NinerAdvocate or NA could be Norman Alexander. Does this WH post here and I don’t notice? somebody give me a complete answer.

Usually people are helpful here.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;236740]OK, let me be more forward. Usually on here I know what/who someone is talking about. This is an instance that I don’t know what WH is refering to.

SO, WTF is it refering to? I still don’t know. A person? OK, sure how do I know it’s not an abreviation like NA is for NinerAdvocate or NA could be Norman Alexander. Does this WH post here and I don’t notice? somebody give me a complete answer.

Usually people are helpful here.[/QUOTE]
WH is well known for his broad knowledge of the A-10 (specifically his pre-season reviews of each team). He posts here on occasion (typically in threads reffering to the A10 or other teams in conference), originating off of the A10 boards.

WH is well known for his broad knowledge of the A-10 (specifically his pre-season reviews of each team). He posts here on occasion (typically in threads reffering to the A10 or other teams in conference), originating off of the A10 boards.

Right, so WH isn’t a shortneing of a website or an regular on here then. Gotcha. Any chance of getting the original link then?

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;236743]Right, so WH isn’t a shortneing of a website or an regular on here then. Gotcha. Any chance of getting the original link then?[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/356763-new-rule-huge-implications.html][B][U]Link[/U][/B][/URL]

As for which rules he is reffering to, the link is at the beginning of the quote.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;236743]Any chance of getting the original link then?[/QUOTE]
Link: A-10 Board - A new rule with huge implications