WH previews 2008-09

Starts out with Charlotte, Dayton, and Duquesne…

CHARLOTTE has everyone back, barring transfer, except for Leemire Goldwire. That’s a big hole to fill because no one on the roster does all the things he did. I expect Lamont Mack to become the offensive focal point, but several other Niners have to improve their jumpshots. Ian Andersen is not a fulltime solution.

I might consider playing Gerrity and Harris in the backcourt at the same time. Harris can shoot when open and is a terrific defender. Gerrity has a great feel for the game and is good at creating. It would be a smallish backcourt, but worth deploying in some instances.

The Niners have a good frosh shooting guard coming in and a big redshirt shooting guard, but it’s hard to expect a newcomer to score in double digits. I remember Goldwire’s first year. You could see his talent, but he was erratic. I think shooting guard is the easiest position on a team to fill, however.

The frontcourt will be among the better ones in the A-10 with Mack and Charlie Coley. Question is, can big Phil Jones develop a tougher exterior. He has lots of potential, but needs to get in better shape and learn how to play down low. Even if he doesn’t Mack, Coley and Wilderness will be a handful.

A-10 board: Charlotte, Dayton, Duquesne – Quick Snaps

A-10 board: Fordham, GW, La Salle - Quick Snaps

A-10 board: UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond - Quick Snaps

A-10 board: Bona, St. Joe’s, Saint Louis - Quick Snaps

A-10 board: Temple, Xavier - Quick Snaps

A-10 board: New Players For 2008

A-10 board: Guards, Guards, Guards

LOL, Gerrity and Harris in at the same time. No thanks.

[QUOTE=metro;308577]LOL, Gerrity and Harris in at the same time. No thanks.[/QUOTE]
What he said. That would be one impotent offensive threat.

What he said. That would be one impotent offensive threat.

Sounds good. Gerrity and Harris in at the same time. Then the other team could guard us 5 on 3 instead of 5 on 4.

Jack up another 3 baby!

We should probably use one of our two remaining scholarships on a JUCO shooting guard. Hopefully there are still some impact players still unsigned at that position.

[QUOTE=Colorado49er;308585]We should probably use one of our two remaining scholarships on a JUCO shooting guard.[/QUOTE]
I’d rather spoon my eyeballs out than see us sign a JUCO guard.

I'd rather spoon my eyeballs out than see us sign a JUCO guard.

Ah come on. Let’s get another JUCO player in for 1 or 2 years…just long enough to learn the “system” and then leave. That is of course if he can qualify academically. He might have to sit out 1 of those 2 years before he can suit up.

I hear ya UNCCTF!

Obviously a Harris-Gerrity backcourt is far from ideal, but their experience and ball-handling cannot be overlooked. If Charlotte does not bring in a juco shooter, the options are Anderson, Dewhurst, Barnett and Bowden. Barnett and Bowden are green, Dewhurt hit just two treys all year and Anderson is a liability on defense.

I’d expect Lutz to give Anderson a good chance to win the job. Lutz’s offense needs a 3-point shooter in the backcourt to stretch defenses. But the idea of Anderson and Gerrity playing guard at the same time … well, it’s not a great idea, either. The Niners can deploy one weak link on offense at the same time, but not two.

In any case, I’d sure be interested to know who Niner fans think can replace Lee – to the extent that he can be replaced. I just think Lutz has to consider all possibilities.

In any case, I’d sure be interested to know who Niner fans think can replace Lee – to the extent that he can be replaced. I just think Lutz has to consider all possibilities.

I dont think there is anyone we have who can replace Lee, and that is why Lutz seems to be hitting Tyree Evans so hard (unfortunately). My hope was that with Lee graduating, we would focus less on the 3 point shot and use all of our slashers more effectively.

I guess time will tell.

[QUOTE=casstommy;308594]My hope was that with Lee graduating, [B]we would focus less on the 3 point shot and use all of our slashers more effectively[/B]. [/QUOTE]
LMAO. Cass, dude, you must tell me who sells you your sh!t… I gotta get some of it.

:smile:

LMAO. Cass, dude, you must tell me who sells you your sh!t.... I gotta get some of it.

:smile:

LOL. I know!

This is the last year for me. I’m really close to the end of the fence.

I dont think there is anyone we have who can replace Lee, and that is why Lutz seems to be hitting Tyree Evans so hard (unfortunately). My hope was that with Lee graduating, we would focus less on the 3 point shot and use all of our slashers more effectively.

I guess time will tell.

who says we are after Tyree so hard :shades:

My hope was that with Lee graduating, we would focus less on the 3 point shot and use all of our slashers more effectively.

Cass, that’s funny.

This is what scares me about next year. Anderson? I love Ian, but if these other two kids don’t work out, we have to depend on him not getting blocked behind the three point line and actually hitting the three consistantly. I’ve come to the reality that Lutz will be coach next year, so I will accept it and try to support him, but the problem is Lutz will not (or cannot) change his style, and we don’t have a solid three point threat. I’m scared. GO NINERS!!!

Barring some good development by our younger players, scoring is going to be an achilles heel for us once again. Can they develop? Sure… will they is the question. Our best chance at being competitive is to play the SG by committee, somewhat similar to how we played the PG this year (unless someone steps up and shows they can be the primary guy).

Plus and Minuses for these guys:

Ian
"+" = Intensity, can shoot when hot, leadership, hustle
"-" = Lack of athleticism, misses everything when cold, defensive liability, ineffective inside the 3pt. line

Dewhurst
"+"= Above avg. athleticism, good rebounder, has a mid range game when hot, good defender
"-" = Lack of 3 pt shot, predictable patterns off the dribble, soft when going to the rim

Barnett
"+" = Good size for a SG, a year in practice with the system, apparently can stroke it.
"-" = Never played at this level, supposed awkward shooting motion, an unknown in many other categories

Bowden
"+"= Apparent 3pt shooter, good inside the 3pt line aswell, likely 4 year player
"-" = Freshman unknowns, needs to add some lbs

Obviously, Mack can step out and hit the 3 if necessary but he is most effective from 15 feet and in, unless he gets hot from deep. His turnaround jumper is smooth and seems unstoppable at times.

Coley showed a jumper late, I’d love for it to get even better.

I’ve thought of actually breaking down each and every guy’s “plus and minuses” (in more detail) but it generally just disintegrates into petty bickering rather than discussion, so I’m likely not to waste my time.

we will have to keep games close because we will not be able play from behind.

I’ve been anti juco for ages, but a SG from the JUCO ranks is exactly what we need… AS LONG AS HE CAN PLAY… We don’t have a SG who can carry the load on the roster, counting on a Freshman is too risky.

[QUOTE=s9er;308606]I’ve been anti juco for ages, but a SG from the JUCO ranks is exactly what we need… AS LONG AS HE CAN PLAY… We don’t have a SG who can carry the load on the roster, counting on a Freshman is too risky.[/QUOTE]

There’s a kid at the Heat Academy (prep school) that may be exactly what we need. He visited during the Duquesne game, including his whole team and coaches.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;308610]There’s a kid at the Heat Academy (prep school) that may be exactly what we need. He visited during the Duquesne game, including his whole team and coaches.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds legit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/18/AR2007121802109.html

What a concept that school has! Sounds like Memphis.

[QUOTE=KissMyAxe;308612]Yeah, that sounds legit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/18/AR2007121802109.html[/QUOTE]

Wow, you jumped on that one.

[QUOTE]It took less than a month for recruiters to descend from novel to passe in Martinsville. [B]At least one representative from a Division I college watches almost every practice, and a litany of prominent coaches – Jim Calhoun, Mike Krzyzewski – have traveled here to watch Heat games. [/B]

[B]Most come to pursue Ater Majok, a 6-10 forward from Australia who is considered perhaps the best uncommitted big man in the 2008 freshman class.[/B] Majok has worked out in front of more than 25 colleges during the past month. Smith, the Australian coach who handles Majok’s recruitment, keeps his cellphone turned off unless he’s making an outgoing call. Otherwise, Smith said, “These recruiters would talk all day and make me go broke.”

Interest has trickled down to Heat’s other players – so much so that Niblett believes half of his 12-man roster will eventually play for Division I teams. [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Coleman, who played two seasons at a tiny Christian college in southeast Georgia, now juggles interest from Kansas and North Carolina State.[/COLOR][/B] Sammy Schickel, a guard who shared playing time on his high school team last season, talks regularly with coaches at Connecticut.
[/QUOTE]