WH previews 2008-09

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;308617]Wow, you jumped on that one.[/QUOTE]

I know. If a kid has the grades and SAT, he gets in no matter where he came from. But you have to agree that this place sounds suspect.

[QUOTE=W.H.;308591]Obviously a Harris-Gerrity backcourt is far from ideal, but their experience and ball-handling cannot be overlooked. If Charlotte does not bring in a juco shooter, the options are Anderson, Dewhurst, Barnett and Bowden. Barnett and Bowden are green, Dewhurt hit just two treys all year and Anderson is a liability on defense.

Iā€™d expect Lutz to give Anderson a good chance to win the job. Lutzā€™s offense needs a 3-point shooter in the backcourt to stretch defenses. But the idea of Anderson and Gerrity playing guard at the same time ā€¦ well, itā€™s not a great idea, either. The Niners can deploy one weak link on offense at the same time, but not two.

In any case, Iā€™d sure be interested to know who Niner fans think can replace Lee ā€“ to the extent that he can be replaced. I just think Lutz has to consider all possibilities.[/QUOTE]

• I think Bowden [I]could[/I] be a project. Yes, he can shoot the ball very well in high school - but at a tall 160 lbs, I wonder if he will be immediately ready to handle the rigors of being a starter. He sounds like he could fill part of the ā€˜Leemire voidā€™ of, say, someone to hit free throws at the end of the game or to get the ball to hit a big shot. I just wonder what else he can contribute over the course of a game in Year 1 (defense, rebounding, etc. etc.). Va Tech passing on him concerns me since, at least historically, the Hokies struggle to recruit well in basketball.

If Bowden steps in and contributes immediately, Iā€™ll be as happy as hell. But Iā€™ll anticipate contributions from him down the road and not this year.

• I only have warmups to base any opinion on Barnett so Iā€™m clueless on how he defends or rebounds. He certainly passes the ā€˜look-testā€™ as a forward - but shys away from going inside. For anyone with the mindset that a college 3 should have the same qualities as a college 2, only bigger - then Barnett would be your perfect 3.

But what gets to me is his less-than-automatic jump shot. If Goldwire and Ian are feeling hot in unguarded warmups, every shot they release from their hand looks like itā€™s going to be a swish. Iā€™ve never gotten that impression w/Barnettā€™s shot attempts ā€¦ which look no different than the outside shot attempts by anyone else on the team.

-Dewhurst at shooting guard is a really interesting concept. Heā€™s the polar opposite of the traditional Charlotte ā€˜Plavich typeā€™ shooting guard - athletic as hell, an inside player, and has a knack for defense. If Dewhurst can lock down his SG counterpart, then we could be in for some low-scoring, but winnable, games. Itā€™d be different for Charlotte, thatā€™s for sure.

Unfortunately, a young Jedi named Dewth Berry, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, betrayed and murdered Charles Dewhurst in the 2nd half of the season. Dewth Berry was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

-If a highly touted juco shooting guard decided to transfer to Charlotte, I would still put Ian above him on a depth chart. Better to understudy Goldwire for 2 years and learn the system from within than to beat up on junior college competition for 2 years. Iā€™m sure Ian could have made a fine junior college player had he chosen than route.

Iā€™ve never felt uncomfortable whenever Andersen was in the game, like we were about to give up a run or something. I didnā€™t quite get the whole ā€˜2 weak linksā€™ on offense. Did you mean defense? Defensively, he scared the living crap out of me as a freshman - but now it seems like he can at least handle himself on both ends. There were some heady, hustle-plays this year that just didnā€™t happen in Ianā€™s 1st year. Hereā€™s a tidbit: discounting Dewhurstā€™s 32 minute redshirt year, Ian will be the only scholarshipped Charlotte player with more than 0-1 years experience as a member of the team.

The weird part with Andersen is that his old press clippings from high school would cause anyone to wonder whether or not the articles were talking about [I]our[/I] Ian Andersen. Supposedly, he was getting scholarship interest while in HS at Oregon as a slashing point guard who was relied upon heavily every game to shut down the oppositionā€™s best scorer on defense. His jump shot was developed later, as a means to get accepted into a higher profile school. In addition, he could also play a mean flute - at least according to Google. Guess you canā€™t put too much stock in press clippings - which also holds true when discussing a possible replacement.

Andersen & Gerrity on the court at the same time sounds like a great idea to me. Just because he is a ā€˜8ā€™ after a decade of ā€˜10ā€™ shooting guards doesnā€™t mean heā€™s not capable of being the starter. It just means that the entire world wonā€™t revolve around the shooting guard, for once - and that Mack, Wilderness, Phil, etc. will have to step up.

(BTW - I think Harris-Gerrity in the backcourt occured a few times this year as players got subbed in and out. As much as I like Dijuanā€™s shot, any 6ā€™5" defender on him with outstretched arms looks like Rik Smits.)

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;308603]Coley showed a jumper late, Iā€™d love for it to get even better.[/QUOTE]

Coley went 23 of 69 from 3 point range in junior college, which is pretty darn good. Could you imagine coaching a freak athlete like Coley in a juco and green lighting him from long range? Insanity.

[QUOTE=KissMyAxe;308618]But you have to agree that this place sounds suspect.[/QUOTE]

Suspect? Their motto is practically, ā€˜We wonā€™t educate you.ā€™

[QUOTE]The Heat Basketball Academy doesnā€™t own a school building, doesnā€™t offer classes, doesnā€™t employ teachers and doesnā€™t issue grades.

ā€¦outsource the academics," Niblett said. "Iā€™m a basketball coach, and I know basketball. So we thought, ā€˜Letā€™s concentrate on building a great basketball team, and letā€™s leave the academics to the people who do academics.ā€™ "[/QUOTE]

It actually sounds like a breath of fresh air compared to basketball academies that DONā€™T outsource academics and are a joke in terms of giving its ā€œstudentsā€ a legit education.

(BTW - I think Harris-Gerrity in the backcourt occured a few times this year as players got subbed in and out. As much as I like Dijuan's shot, any 6'5" defender on him with outstretched arms looks like Rik Smits.)
I think this line-up may actually work in a couple instances: 1) when the opposing team's guards are short, which we may see playing some of the smaller schools on our roster. But then, do we really need this against those schools? Hopefully our conventional line-up will be enough in those games. How tall is Davidson's pg next year? 2) Teams are selling out to take away Mack's offense and the pg's (likely Gerrity) drive to the basket. When Goldwire took the ball to the hoop this year, Harris was left standing all by himself out at the three point line (Goldwire might've done better to look for this kick out sometimes instead of getting in among the trees). Harris has shown he can hit a wide-open 3 consistently if he doesn't have that taller defender on him. On teams that don't play good D, Gerrity's drive then kick out to Harris may work well. But on complete teams (like say Xav), they have no need to collapse on Mack or the drive, and this lineup would fail miserably. It'd definitely have to be situational (which I think is what WH is suggesting).

I also think you have to worry about the tall guards while on defense. Harris and Gerrity are just too small to cover guys 6ā€™4 and above (e.g. Maryland first half). Now if they add some strength in the offseasonā€¦maybe?

Andersen has his moments. I always assume he shot a terrible percentage from 3, but then look at the boxscore and his percentages are not too bad (not great either). He can grow into a solid player next year, probably not the star we usually have at sg. I just wish heā€™d show more patience, as heā€™s taken some horrible shots this year while covered (often airballs). If he could just pass off that first look when heā€™s clearly covered instead of instantly shooting a long three (even though he sometimes hits it), heā€™d be a nice shooter. But then, this is my criticism for almost every shooter in Lutzā€™ offense soā€¦I guess thatā€™s that.

[QUOTE=run49er;308566]Starts out with Charlotte, Dayton, and Duquesneā€¦[/QUOTE]
Iā€™m assuming these are in alphabetical order and not by order of predicted finish?

I actually think Mack or Wilderness will be a decent fit for the 2 in SOME SITUATIONS, especially when we need a tall lineup. Mack (& Wilderness too at times) can hit the 3, they can drive, and their height should provide a good mismatch at the 2 position. Bring in Phil or Gaby (assuming they develop) at center and move Coley to the 4.

Itā€™s way too early to predict anything, O-40. I donā€™t even think about it until late September.

And yes, 9erkin, I am only thinking situational. BTW, UMass starts a 6-0 PG and a 6-1 WG.

I seemed to think Dewhurst was a pretty good shooter in high school, but I havent seen it. Wilderness isnt quick enough to play at wing guard for lots of minutes, it would seem to me.

I guess the bright side is that we wont see as many contested treys. Iā€™d like to see Charlotte go for more high-percentage shots and only shoot treys when players get open, preferably from dribble kickouts or good ball movement.

I think Mack could be an intriguing 2. Mack isnā€™t as much of a banger inside as the other forwards. The downside would be on D, if he had to guard a quick 2. Iā€™m wondering also if Barnett could play the 4. The upside is Barnett and Bowden could be brought along more slowly, and we could promise some PT to an impact inside recruit.

Iā€™m sure glad someone credible like Over also thought of this. I was thinking I had too much wineā€¦

"Iā€™d like to see Charlotte go for more high-percentage shots and only shot treys when players get open, preferably from dribble kickouts or good ball movement. "

W.H. Nice thoughts and nice analysis. Appreciate also your taking time to post on here.

No offense intended, but regarding your above quote, weā€™ve been wanting to see that for the last 3 or 4 yearsā€¦

[QUOTE=Tenniner;308647]I think Mack could be an intriguing 2. Mack isnā€™t as much of a banger inside as the other forwards. The downside would be on D, if he had to guard a quick 2. Iā€™m wondering also if Barnett could play the 4. The upside is Barnett and Bowden could be brought along more slowly, and we could promise some PT to an impact inside recruit.

Iā€™m sure glad someone credible like Over also thought of this. I was thinking I had too much wineā€¦[/QUOTE]

I love Mackā€¦but no way he plays the 2.Have you watched him try to dribble and penetrate.That is definitely not his game.He has a good 3,and if he actually played more down low and went to the hoop,heā€™d be almost unstoppable.But,dribbling and driving,heā€™d be a turnover waiting to happenā€¦Now,work on his inside game and Coleyā€™sā€¦and those 2 guys down low could inflict some serious damage!

Oh, Tenniner? I thought you have been waiting a lot longer than that! (-:

how can mack be such a dominating force down low when he canā€™t dunk, if he can I have never seen it and I went to every game, and whenever he goes to the hoop always he double pumps?

[QUOTE=survivor45;308633]- I think Bowden [I]could[/I] be a project. Yes, he can shoot the ball very well in high school - but at a tall 160 lbs, I wonder if he will be immediately ready to handle the rigors of being a starter. He sounds like he could fill part of the ā€˜Leemire voidā€™ of, say, someone to hit free throws at the end of the game or to get the ball to hit a big shot. I just wonder what else he can contribute over the course of a game in Year 1 (defense, rebounding, etc. etc.). Va Tech passing on him concerns me since, at least historically, the Hokies struggle to recruit well in basketball.[/QUOTE]

Stephen Curry was practically begging an offer from Va Tech and they passed on him, look how that turned out.

BTW, I think he was offered and verbaled to Va Tech, I donā€™t think they cut his offer, they just brought in more people at his position and he didnā€™t like where that was heading so looking for more PT he looked elsewhere (to us).

mack can dunk, he not super athletic but he is strong and you dont have to be a great athlete to be a good inside player. he can take guys off the dribble or play with his back to the basket, he did it this year and drew a bunch of and 1ā€™s.

You can always find someone to jack up off-balance 3-pt shots and obtain a low shooting % while doing so. Iā€™m sure Bobby will find somebody.

just to clear upā€¦someone made the point that VaTech passed on bowden.
according to shamarr this isnt trueā€¦he withdrew from them because he wanted to come to charlotte where he could be a starter right away. too many 2 guards at VaTech and Vandy is why he came here. we need one NOW not his junior or senior year.

how can mack be such a dominating force down low when he can't dunk, if he can I have never seen it and I went to every game, and whenever he goes to the hoop always he double pumps?
There was a video on News 14 Carolina showing him dunk with ease.
Oh, Tenniner? I thought you have been waiting a lot longer than that! (-:

Yes, itā€™s been a while.

[QUOTE=NLP;308667]There was a video on News 14 Carolina showing him dunk with ease.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody have this video?

I recommend searching ā€œLamont Mackā€ on news14.com. Thereā€™s an article about him with a link to an accompanying video on the right hand side. I tried last night and it took forever to load, but itā€™s still there. Hopefully the site runs faster now.

Next groupā€¦

Link to A-10 board: Fordham, GW, La Salle - Quick Snaps