WH Previews the Atlantic 10

I may get run out of town for this.....but on paper....I like this years team over last.
I want to see a team out there that takes nothing for granted and has some love for the game. Diving for loose balls, mixing it up down low (What happened to you last year, Chris Nance), feeding the crowd and feeding off of the crowd. Who wouldn't want to root for those kind of guys? Under Lutz the loudest cheers have been for Eddie and Jobey. No suprise they left nothing on the court when the clock hit 00:00.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;191825]I want to see a team out there that takes nothing for granted and has some love for the game. Diving for loose balls, mixing it up down low (What happened to you last year, Chris Nance), feeding the crowd and feeding off of the crowd. Who wouldn’t want to root for those kind of guys? Under Lutz the loudest cheers have been for Eddie and Jobey. No suprise they left nothing on the court when the clock hit 00:00.[/QUOTE]
I agree! And that is exactly why I didn’t enjoy watching Curt play a lot. He really didn’t move too much. But it is why I enjoy watching Lee. Man the last 2 minutes of every game he is a maniac!

I may get run out of town for this.....but on paper....I like this years team over last.

If Carlos is half as good as advertised…then we are 10 times better at the point…Mitch really hurt us last year…

DA and Lee…both are studs…and I think people (sports pubs) are really sleeping on Lee…his GW issue at the end of last year overshadowed the real Lee…I think he is gonna have a helluva year…

As for the front court…I love the mix we have …EJ, Twan, Court…and two hyped freshman in Booker and Big Phil…People make the mistake of thinking of the EJ from last year…dont do that… EJ produces when he is healthy…and I think he is finally healthy.

It seems like we have solid scoring options off the bench as well…outside of Bennet last year (who I felt should have been starting)…who did we have?

Everyone is down on the Niners for 1 thing and 1 thing alone…no more Curt…and while he will be missed…we were not effective with him being our number 1 last year…and we had no one at the point to get him the ball.

With so many newbies…if we can gel…I think we battle it out with Xavier for the conf title.

I agree 100%.

If you look at the development of Leewire from year one to year two, just imagine how well he will play in year 3 with a real PG. His defense is aggressive, he has a great work ethic, is in great shape and his shot improved remarkably in one year. He should have a monster year. DA will still get his. I think having EJ back and healthy will help offset some of Curt’s offensive production. If you look at set plays, EJ has more options within the offense due to his versatility and handling then Curt.

The biggest difference will be Carlos. If he can penetrate the ball and provide at least a moderate threat offensively while distributing the ball we will be very tough from the perimeter.

I pick the 49ers to go unbeaten in the A-10 Reg. Season & Tourney, & the 49ers starting 5 to be 1st team all-conf. for the reg. season & tourney. LOL.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;191862]I pick the 49ers to go unbeaten in the A-10 Reg. Season & Tourney, & the 49ers starting 5 to be 1st team all-conf. for the reg. season & tourney. LOL.[/QUOTE]
As long as you don’t set you expectations too high there Ken… LOL

[b]WH on the A-10's Nonconference Record[/b]

I finished studying the noncon schedules of all the A-10 teams and read blurbs from Sporting News and Street & Smith’s on all our opponents.

Once again, I projected wins and losses on what I think is a conservative basis – far more conservative than last year. I predicted losses nearly any time an A-10 team faced a higher profile team from the big football conferences. I also chalked up losses in games on the road vs good midmajors. And after I made my tallies, I added a loss to each team for good measure.

My guesstimate: A noncon record of 109-72.

That would not be a great result, but I really do think it is the absolute worst the A-10 could do. The league would have to be awful to fare worse (knock on wood). The good news is that a lot of games I marked as losses ARE winnable. I believe 120-plus wins is quite doable.

Schedules appear similar to last year. Lot of bigname schools, but perhaps still too many Longwoods and Savannah States. Only one A-10 team appears to have scheduled a slate of games notably in excess of its talent and experience. It would be a big boost to our noncon record if that program does not do as bad as I think it will.

As always, our best teams need to rack up noncon wins and not lose any cheapies. Fortunately most of our youngest teams have established coaches to guide them – St. Joe’s, LaSalle, Temple.

Link: Nonconference Records

I wonder if he realizes how much better we are on the road… WH really seems to do a good thorough job. I’m well impressed with his input.

This year will be better than last year… no matter what… there is no “Wyoming tournament” on our schedule

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;191899]This year will be better than last year… no matter what… there is no “Wyoming tournament” on our schedule[/QUOTE]

Yes there is - the Rainbow Classic. Some good teams there but no name ones. Houston will probably be favored against us.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;191901]Yes there is - the Rainbow Classic. Some good teams there but no name ones. Houston will probably be favored against us.[/QUOTE]

I am seeing Houston on a number of preseason lists as an NCAA tourney team, so it should be a tough game. Of course, win and we probably face a Creighton team that is showing up on most preseason top 25 lists. Should be a good tourney.

I want to see a team out there that takes nothing for granted and has some love for the game. Diving for loose balls, mixing it up down low (What happened to you last year, Chris Nance), feeding the crowd and feeding off of the crowd. Who wouldn't want to root for those kind of guys? Under Lutz the loudest cheers have been for Eddie and Jobey. No suprise they left nothing on the court when the clock hit 00:00.

Thats what I like about DA, he’s like a crowd favourite, played his heart out and after everything was dunked, he gave the crowd a wink.

Well, WH has us waiting in anticipation for the first of his 14 team previews of the A-10. Thought the first (he will start with his last place pick and proceed to number one) would be posted this morning, but nothing as of 4:00PM today. From a PM I received from him last week, I get the impression that the Niners are going to rank fairly high in his 2006-07 predictions.

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

Well, WH has us waiting in anticipation for the first of his 14 team previews of the A-10. Thought the first (he will start with his last place pick and proceed to number one) would be posted this morning, but nothing as of 4:00PM today. From a PM I received from him last week, I get the impression that the Niners are going to rank fairly high in his 2006-07 predictions.

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

That’s good to hear. I know WH was saying that he won’t let any printed publications influence his rankings. The man watches A TON of Atlantic 10 games and he has picked up on things that even hard-core fans miss. His assessment of Mitchell Baldwin prior to last season was DOBA - (yet Baldwin’s performance still caught me by surprise). It’s no exaggeration that I think more highly of WH’s assessments than all the other publications put together.

[QUOTE=survivor45;192659]That’s good to hear. I know WH was saying that he won’t let any printed publications influence his rankings. The man watches A TON of Atlantic 10 games and he has picked up on things that even hard-core fans miss. His assessment of Mitchell Baldwin prior to last season was DOBA - (yet Baldwin’s performance still caught me by surprise). It’s no exaggeration that I think more highly of WH’s assessments than all the other publications put together.[/QUOTE]

couldn’t agree more. WH is the man for A10 info.

Duquesne starts off the previews…

[b]A-10 PREVIEW – 14TH PLACE

DUQUESNE DUKES[/b]
Last year: 3-24 (1-15), 14th place

INSTITUTION
Duquesne University of the Holy Spirit
Founded: 1878
Enrollment: 9,985
Affiliation: Private Catholic co-educational university

ARENA
A.J. Palumbo Center
Seats: 6,200.
Average attendance last year: 1,529

COACH
Ron Everhart, 1st year (13th overall)
Record at Duquesne: 0-0 (174-172 overall, 50.2% winning percentage )

ROSTER
*1 Aaron Jackson So. G 6-2 180 Hartford, Conn./Worcester (MA) Academy
**2 Kieron Achara Jr. F/C 6-10 240 Scotland/Maine Central Institute
3 Reggie Jackson Jr. PG 5-10 170 Hogansville, GA/Southern Union College (AL)
20 Phillip Fayne So. G 6-2 210 Carbondale, IL/Southwestern Illinois College
22 Gary Tucker Jr. G 6-0 185 Pensacola, FL/Southern Union College (AL)
23 Robert Mitchell Fr. WF 6-6 175 Brooklyn, NY/Notre Dame Prep (MA)
30 Scott Grote Fr. G/F 6-6 200 Centerville, OH/Massanutten (VA) Military Acad
31 Stephen Wood Fr. WG 6-3 180 Queens, NY
50 Almamy Thiero Sr. C 6-9 255 Mali/Mt Zion (NC) Prep/Memphis
55 Lucas Newton Fr. G 5-9 165 Weston, FL/Westminster Academy (FL)

***5 Sam Ashaolu Jr. F 6-7 225 Toronto, ON/Lake Region (ND) State College
***42 Stuard Baldonado Jr. PF 6-7 225 Colombia/Winchendon (MA)/Miami Dade CC

*Returning starter
**Returning starter from two years ago
*** Shot in on-campus incident. Ashaolu will not play this year. Baldonado is doubtful.

OVERVIEW

New coach Ron Everhart already had his hands full before the shooting. The Duquesne basketball program, its golden era long a faded memory, has only one winning season in the past 20 years and hasn’t gone to the NCAA tournament since 1977. The school is also coming off the worst season in its storied 92-year history. Yet in a hectic spring and summer, the energetic Everhart, who rebuilt down-and-out programs at McNeese State and Northeastern, totally reshaped the roster. Five players transferred and 10 recruits were signed. Only two players are left from last year’s 3-24 squad.

Everhart’s best-laid plans, however, suffered a serious setback in September when five players were shot at a college dance. One of the players, forward Sam Ashaolu, was almost killed and may never play basketball again. Another player, top recruit Stuard Baldonado, is still recovering from two bullet wounds and might not suit up this year.

Whether the shooting represents yet another debilitating stroke of misfortune for the struggling program remains to be seen. After the initial shock, a determined Everhart has sought to reestablish a sense of normalcy for his players and to get them to refocus on the tasks at hand. “We’re not going to hang our heads and feel sorry for ourselves,” Everhart says.

Everhart has good building blocks in his returnees, redshirt junior center Kieron Achara and promising sophomore point guard Aaron Jackson. The newcomers bring plenty of speed and athleticism to a Duquesne roster short of both. They all seem to fit in with Everhart’s preferred style of play: uptempo offense and high-pressure defense. The new Dukes do plan to run – regardless of whether they get run out of the gym.

“We’re going to play smaller and faster and put more emphasis on the 3-pointer,” Everhart says. “We’re going to rely on extended defenses and take chances more than playing a traditional defense.”

DEPARTED PLAYERS

Bryant McAllister – First Team A-10 selection was the only certified scorer (19.7 ppg) who could create his own shot. McAllister played both backcourt positions and kept the Dukes from automatically getting blown out every time they stepped on the court. He slashed effectively to the rim and was the team’s best 3-point shooter (37%). He’s probably the only player Everhart was unhappy to lose.

Jack Higgins – Long-range marksman never duplicated his fine sophomore debut in the A-10 and was forced off the team after eight games. Higgins lost confidence in his shot – and lost the confidence of the coaches – while his defense did nothing to aid his cause.

Chauncey Duke – Rangy 6-6 shooter (8.2 ppg, 36.5% 3PG, 4.6 rpg) showed promise as a freshman but was inconsistent as a sophomore. Unhappy at Duquesne, he had made up his mind to leave school before the coaching change.

DeVario Hudson – Wonderfully athletic small forward (9.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 30 blocks) showed hints of terrific all-round ability, but he never refined his game and admitted quitting on teammates as the losses piled up. With the right coaching, he might have been a very good player. He had worn out his welcome by year end, however.

Brian Kelly – The 6-7 Kelly was athletic like Hudson, his former high school teammate, and he hustled on defense. Kelly was limited offensively (3.3 ppg) and didn’t have the size to guard bigger players in the post.

Keith Gayden – Juco power forward (8 ppg, 4.2 prg) improved markedly in his final season. Gayden gave the Dukes some scoring punch in the post, at least when he was fully healthy. That wasn’t often.

Sean McKeon – Second-year center (3.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 22 blocks) had some nice skills but lacked the strength and athleticism to compete regularly in the A-10. He saw the writing on the wall with the coaching change and transferred.

Ronnie Thomas – Big forward from Indiana (4.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg) was one of the smartest players on the team, even as a freshman. Like his teammate McKeon, Thomas lacked the physical tools to become a primetime A-10 player. He also transferred.

RETURNING PLAYERS

Kieron Achara – Scottish bigman injured his shoulder early last season and chose to redshirt. The return of Achara, voted the league’s Most Improved Player two years ago, should aid Everhart in his quest to quickly mold the Dukes into a competitive unit. Achara usually can be counted on to score in double digits. He’s got a nice lefty hook and is a good face-up shooter from 15 feet. He’s also a good rebounder and shotblocker. Two years ago, Achara averaged 11.5 points on 51.5% shooting, along with 6.7 boards a game and 46 blocks, good for fourth in the A-10.

Although not an explosive athlete, Achara is quite mobile and has good footwork. During the summer, Everhart asked him to lose weight to better fit in with the coach’s uptempo attack. Achara complied by shedding 20 pounds from his 260-pound frame. The added quickness could make him harder to defend. He rarely takes over a game, but Achara usually gives a workmanlike effort each time on the court.

Aaron Jackson – Even as the losses piled up, the freshman point guard refused to give up like some of his teammates. He was one of the few Dukes to play with fire and energy every game. After the season was over, Jackson was also one of only two players to buy into the demanding new regime of Ron Everhart. That’s the sort of toughness the coach needs as he tries to rebuild. Everhart also needs talent, and Jackson has some of that, too (6.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 30 steals). He’s a fine ballhandler with a pass-first mentality and keen court awareness. If a man is open, Jackson will find him. He’s the rare sort of guard who moves the ball from side to side instead of trying to monopolize the dribble.

Jackson is most effective in the open floor. He presses the attack and will drive into the teeth of the defense if he sees an opening. If transition opportunities are unavailable, though, he’ll smartly back the ball out and set the offense. Last year, Jackson committed only 56 turnovers while dishing out 97 assists. His assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.7 was among the best in the league.

As a sophomore, Jackson will have to work even harder to keep turnovers down because he has to deal with a faster pace of offense and a full roster of new teammates (at least one of whom could challenge him for his starting job) He also needs to improve his shooting. He made a respectable 35% of his treys, but only took 49 attempts. Everhart likes his point guards to score as well as distribute.

NEWCOMERS

Almamy Thiero – The former Memphis center took advantage of a new NCAA rule to transfer to Duquesne and become eligible immediately. By finishing his undergraduate work in four years, Thiero and players like him are now allowed to transfer without penalty if they have one year of athletic eligibility remaining.

Once a highly regarded recruit, Thiero suffered an injury-filled career at Memphis and saw little playing time. He’s unlikely to become a big scorer, but the muscular 6-9 bigman should be able to help with rebounding and interior defense – if he is fully healthy, Thiero had his knee scoped a week before practice started and won’t be ready to practice until November. “He didn’t play a lot at Memphis, but he can be an impact guy for us,” Everhart says. “He’s had some tough luck with injuries, but this gives him a new start and he’s going to be a player we’re counting on.”

Robert Mitchell – The 6-6 small forward from Brooklyn, an athletic slasher, was a late bloomer who played well in prep school. He got offers from a few big schools such as USC. He attacks the rim aggressively and is quick to the offensive boards but needs to improve his jumpshot.

Scott Grote – The 6-6 swingman is a solid all-round player who was recruited for his shooting ability. He connected on 38% of his treys in one season of prep school. “Scott has a great feel for the game,” Everhart says. “He’s a tough competitor and a very good 3-point shooter who can really pass the basketball.”

Phillip Fayne – Rugged 210-pound wing guard, a potential sleeper, is a pretty good shooter and tough defender. He played well in one year of junior college, attracting offers from a handful of mid-level schools including some Missouri Valley Conference teams.

Stephen Wood – The 6-4 New York guard was a big scorer in the high school ranks and is viewed as an underrated recruit because of limited exposure on the summer circuit. He’s long and athletic, has a nice handle and shoots well out to the 3-point line. His high school coach says Wood, nicknamed Sticks, is also a good defender for his age.

Gary Tucker – The 6-1 junior college transfer is a superb athlete who shot over 40% on treys and he’s also active at the other end of the court (28 blocks, 37 steals last season). He and fellow Dukes recruit Reggie Jackson manned the backcourt for Southern Union College in Alabama. “Gary Tucker is a very high-octane athlete,” Everhart says "I think he fits our system really well. He knows how to score and he’s also a very good defender.”

Reggie Jackson – Junior college point guard could challenge sophomore Aaron Jackson for a starting position. The 5-11 Jackson is a good 3-point shooter, hitting nearly 53% in the juco ranks, and a capable assist man. He’s got quick feet and hands and “really knows how to run a basketball team,” Everhart says.

Lucas Newton – Smallish guard is a good ball-handler who pushes the ball quickly up the floor and is a pesky defender. He’ll give the Dukes more depth at point but he’s not starter’s material. “He has tremendous speed and is an outstanding on-the-ball defender,” Everhart says. Newton played on the same Miami AAU team as Baldonado.

Stuard Baldonado – Everhart’s top recruit, Baldonado might not play this year as he recovers from his bullet wounds. The Colombian native is a strong-bodied scorer and rebounder who is tough in the paint. The Dukes could really use him if he quickly recovers full health. Otherwise it would be better to save him for next year.

SCOUTING REPORT

The Dukes needed to demolish Danny Nee’s house of horrors and rebuild from the ground up. Last year, a talent-poor Duquesne squad finished near or at the bottom of the A-10 in most categories. The good news is that those statistics can be thrown out for the 2006-07 season because so few of the players remain.

The newcomers, for the most part, are fast and athletic. Most are junior college transfers hungry for a chance to play at a higher level. Under Everhart, pride and motivation, so sorely lacking, should make a return. What’s more, Duquesne has a solid interior presence in Achara while Jackson is capable of being a good A-10 point guard. They should provide leadership and help ease the transition for their new teammates.

The Dukes’ weaknesses aren’t quite so evident yet. The team is thin on the inside with Ashaolu and Baldonado recovering from their wounds. Only Achara and oft-injured 6-10 Memphis transfer Almamy Thiero are taller than 6-6, so the team will have to rebound collectively. It’s also unclear who will consistently knock down jumpers at the A-10 level. Juco transfers often require an extended adjustment period and it could take time for the team to form an identity. Defense, especially in halfcourt sets, could be a problem early on.

Still, the Dukes can improve a good deal on last year if Everhart finds some 3-point shooters and an aggressive press is able to score points off turnovers. In halfcourt sets, the Dukes can even throw the ball down low to Achara and free up space for the perimeter players to shoot or penetrate.

PREDICTION

The future looks brighter for the Dukes than it has in years. In 2007-08, the Dukes welcome touted transfers Shawn James of Northeastern and Kojo Mensah of Siena, both of whom are all-conference caliber performers. The team doesn’t lose anyone of note. If Duquesne finds a few gems in this year’s incoming class – and Baldonado eventually suits up – the Dukes will improve by leaps in bounds in Everhart’s second year.

Barring any miracles, the upcoming season represents the laying of a new foundation. It’s always possible the Dukes, with so many new faces, could surprise. The program has a renewed sense of purpose and an energetic and experienced coach. For those reasons alone the Dukes will certainly be more competitive and they should win more games.

But Everhart is not Caesar and Rome wasn’t built in a day. Good basketball programs aren’t, either.

Record: 8-20 (3-13), 14th Place

ADDENDUM

A few additional comments on Duquesne. Despite the shooting, I sense lots of energy and momentum for the program so long as nobody important (James, etc) leaves. I tinkered with moving the Dukes up a spot or two because I like the energy of coach Everhart. I also have some skepticism about several other programs, at least one of which could be losing longterm momentum. I usually pick a lesser program on the way up over a more talented program on the way down. Coaching and good administrative support make all the difference in the world.

The Dukes noncon sked would be relatively easy if the team was pretty good. When I look at the sked, I see the chance for Duquesne to win as many as 8 noncon games. I tried to be conservative and marked 5 games (5-7) as wins.

W - YOUNGSTOWN STATE
L - UNC ASHEVILLE
W - NORTHERN ILLINOIS
W - OAKLAND
L - At Northern Illinois
W - At Robert Morris
L - At Pitt
L - WEST VIRGINIA
L - At Niagara
W - At Saint Francis
L - At Boston College
L - AKRON

Link: A-10 PREVIEW – 14TH PLACE

[b]A-10 PREVIEW – 13TH PLACE

ST. BONAVENTURE BONNIES[/b]
Last year: 8-19 (2-14), 13th place

INSTITUTION
St. Bonaventure University
Founded: 1858
Enrollment: 2,200
Affiliation: Private Catholic co-educational university

COACH
Anthony Solomon, 4th year (4th overall)
Record at St. Bonaventure: 17-66 (17-66 overall; 20.4% winning percentage)

ARENA
Reilly Center
Seats: 5,570
Average attendance: 4,312

ROSTER
1 Zarryon Fereti Jr. G 6-3 190 New South Wales, Australia/Southern Idaho CC
*2 Paul Williams Sr. F/C 6-10 230 North Bergen, NJ/Siena College
3 Terron Diggs Sr. PG 6-0 180 Fairfax, VA/Tallahassee JC
4 Jermaine Calvin Jr. G 5-10 180 Phoenix, AZ/Utah/Southern Idaho CC
*5 Michael Lee F Jr. 6-8 205 West Palm Beach, FL
*10 Tyler Relph Jr. PG 6-0 185 Victor, NY/West Virginia University
11 Ivan Kovacevic Sr. C 6-10 250 Croatia/Olney (IL) JC
12 Tyler Benson So. F/G 6-7 210 Morgantown, WV/Massanutten Military Acad
21 Lounceny Kaba Jr. F 6-8 215 New Guinea/Monroe College (NY)
24 Jourdan Morris Fr. F 6-6 235 Bowie, MD
25 A.J. Hawkins So. G/F 6-5 195 Edmond, OK/South Kent Prep (CT)
41 David Fox Sr. C 6-10 230 Lakewood, OH/Mercyhurst-North East CC (OH)
50 James Williams Jr. G 6-4 200 Topeka, KS/Cloud CC (KS)

*Returning starters

OVERVIEW

St. Bonaventure, which finished 2-26 just two years ago, got off to a good start last season and entered league play at 6-5. It was all downhill from there. After blowing a late lead at Saint Louis, the Bonnies lost 11 straight games and 15 of their last 17, including a humiliating loss at home to a 3-24 Duquesne team. St. Bonaventure’s shortcomings were glaring. The Bonnies were one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in A-10 history and the defense had more holes than a victim of Tony Montana.

A significant turn for the better, however, is not wildly unrealistic in 2006-07. This is the most talented St. Bonaventure roster since coach Anthony Solomon took over. The experienced frontcourt tandem of Paul Williams and Michael Lee is one of the better ones in the league. Junior guard Tyler Relph, a certified deep threat, should be healthy after an injury-filled season. Coach Anthony Solomon also recruited a trio of athletic guards from junior college. If Relph rediscovers his stroke and the jucos produce, the backcourt will be in decent shape, too.

The defense is another matter. The Bonnies have not played good defense since Solomon was hired more than three years ago. Unless that changes, the Bonnies’ fortunes won’t, either.

DEPARTED PLAYERS

Ahmad Smith – Do-it-all 6-5 swingman (15.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3 apg) carried the load for the second straight year on an undertalented Bonnies squad. Smith led the team in scoring, assists and steals and finished third in rebounding. He was also the team’s clear leader and best defender. Anthony Solomon needs to find a way to replace his production.

Patrick Lottin – A native of Cameroon, Lottin (7.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg) was robbed of his athleticism by several major injuries. Once a terrific slasher and good outside shooter, Lottin was relegated to the perimeter as a fifth-year senior, but his legs still failed him. He shot a poor 26% from outside and lost playing time.

Isiah Carson – Burly sophomore point guard transferred even after winning the starting job in the second half of the year. Carson (4.8 ppg, 2.1 apg) lacked consistent 3-point range, but he finished more effectively on his aggressive forays to the hoop and was improved as a floor leader. Though not an elite A-10 point guard, Carson would have helped had he stayed.

Wade Dunston – The 6-4 juco guard (4.3 ppg, 31% 3PG) committed too many turnovers and was not a deep outside threat. Dunston lost playing time to Carson and Relph and was not a big factor off the bench.

RETURNING PLAYERS

Michael Lee – The Florida native is coming off a breakout season when he averaged 12.7 points and 6.5 rebounds a game while swatting a team-leading 30 shots. The wiry 6-8 junior is a terrific athlete who uses his quickness and leaping ability to score around the hoop. While he can play with his back to the basket, he’s not big enough to regularly post up stronger defenders. He’s more dangerous when he takes slower opponents off the dribble, faces up for short jumpers or slips through a crowd for putbacks. As a sophomore, Lee scored in double figures in 20 of 27 games.

Even though Lee is much stronger than when he arrived in Olean as a 190-pound weakling, he’s still on the thin side and can’t always get the tough points and rebounds when it counts. He’s too often knocked off his game, especially by physical defenders. If the Bonnies are to take a major step up the A-10 ladder, Lee has to be strong every night and become the go-to guy.

Paul Williams – In his first season in Olean, the Siena transfer established himself as the team’s anchor in the post (10 ppg, 52% FG). The 6-10 Williams is not a super athlete, but he has decent footwork and soft hands and establishes good position on the blocks. He’s especially effective at sealing off defenders with his body when they front him, though quick-leaping opponents can recover to block his shot from behind. Williams also rebounds well (7.1 rpg) and is a solid defender (28 blocks). While he doesn’t send opponents running for cover, Williams gives the Bonnies a legitimate weapon down low. He scored a career high 21 points vs. Rhode Island and hauled in 16 rebounds against Temple. Solomon won’t get that every night from Williams, but it shows what he can do.

Tyler Relph – Celebrated transfer from West Virginia, a former Mr. Basketball in New York, struggled through an injury filled season. Relph (6.9 ppg, 1.2 apg, 30.5% 3PG) missed the early part of the year while recovering from foot surgery and never developed any genuine consistency. He has deep range and a quick trigger and is not afraid to take the big shot. With good health and a year in the Bonnies system, Relph should improve offensively. The team needs him to stretch defenses. Relph is also a good ballhandler and passer, but he has too much of a scorer’s mentality to play point for long stretches. His defense is another story. While he makes the effort, he’ll never win any awards.

A.J. Hawkins – Athletic 6-5 slasher (6.3 ppg, 2.5 rpg) played well in the nonconference portion of the season, winning the A10 rookie of the week twice. Hawkins, a native of Oklahoma, is at his best in an uptempo game. He’s a nice passer and scores mostly on drives to the hoop and quick putbacks on rebounds. Yet he is a poor free throw shooter (49%) and also draws blanks from long range – Hawkins missed all 12 treys he tried last year. Inevitably teams began to lay off him and deny Hawkins a path to the rim. After scoring in double digits in four of his first seven games, he never reached that mark again.

To be more effective, Hawkins has to become a more reliable shooter. Even if he doesn’t, Hawkins still has the potential to develop into a defensive stopper. He is a good man defender and gets plenty of steals, though he appeared less aggressive in the zone that the Bonnies frequently deploy.

Terron Diggs – Junior college transfer started 19 games, but his playing time fell in the second half of the season. The problem: Diggs (2.2 ppg) is a awful shooter. He shot just 32% overall, a measly 21% on treys and never scored more than 8 points after hitting that mark in his very first game. If the Bonnies find a point guard who can shoot, Diggs is likely to see even less time. That’s not to say he can’t help. Diggs is an adroit ballhandler who runs the offense quite well. He tallied 74 assists to just 34 turnovers, a 2.2 ratio that was second best in the Atlantic 10. Surround him with four teammates who can score – a big problem for the Bonnies last year – and Diggs can be effective.

Tyler Benson – The 6-7 sophomore from West Virginia injured his ankle and missed a large chunk of his first year. Although he only hit two of 11 3-pointers, he was recruited as a shooter. He’ll get a chance to help on a Bonnies team that finished last in the league in 3-point field goal percentage.

Ivan Kovacevic – Croatian injured his knee in late December and missed the rest of the season. Even when healthy, the 6-10 center hardly played. He’s not especially quick and lacks offensive skills. He is big and strong, though, and throws his weight around in the paint. Kovacevic could spell Paul Williams for a few minutes each game if the Bonnies can find more scoring at other positions.

David Fox – Another juco bigman, Fox (0.8 ppg) is not particularly athletic or skilled and is likely to remain a deep reserve barring injuries.

NEWCOMERS

Jermaine Calvin – Originally a Rick Majerus recruit at Utah, the 5-10 Calvin saw limited time as a freshman and left the program. While not a big scorer in junior college, he did shoot 30% on treys and should present more of an offensive threat than senior Terron Diggs. He’s a quick with the ball, likes to drive and dish and plays solid on-the-ball defense. Calvin was rated No. 123 in 2004 in HoopScoop’s final national rankings.

Zarryon Fereti – The 6-4 slasher can play big guard and small forward, but he’s a better outside shooter than fellow recruits Jourdan Morris or James Williams. Fereti hit 128 treys in two years of junior college and he’s an excellent free-throw shooter at over 80%. “That is an area we must improve upon and “Z” can help,” Solomon says. On the downside, Fereti only shot three’s at a 34% clip in his second season after hitting on 42% of his treys as a juco frosh.

James Williams – Big 6-4 guard from the juco ranks is most effective slashing to the basket. Quick and athletic, Williams can also be a harassing defender and rebounds well for a guard. He’s just a so-so 3-point shooter, however, and doesn’t always make good decisions with the ball.

Jourdan Morris – The strong 6-6 forward scores mostly on layups and quick drives to the basket. He’s a decent midrange shooter but has to work on his jumper. Although he’s got plenty of athleticism to succeed in the A-10, Morris will likely need time to refine his game. With his bulked-up 235-pound frame, he could help immediately in the defense and rebounding departments.

Lounceny Kaba – Juco transfer and native of Guinea, the 6-8 Kaba is a quick leaper with good rebounding and shot-blocking ability. He was originally recruited by lower Division 1 programs, but got more attention after solid performances in the junior college playoffs. Kaba’s offense is raw and he doesn’t score much.

SCOUTING REPORT

In his fourth season trying to rebuild the scandal-damaged Bonnies program, Anthony Solomon has to show faster progress. The jury is still out on his ability as a coach. His teams are often scattershot on offense and the defense is, well, indefensible.

While last year’s increase in victories to 9 from 2 is a decent start, Solomon has to deliver double-digit wins to quiet the doubters. To achieve that goal, the Bonnies first have to play better away from home. The program went 2-10 on the road last year and was 0-2 in neutral-site games.

The Bonnies have plenty of mid-sized athletes who excel in an uptempo offense and who could be particularly effective if Solomon chooses to extend the defense full court. Look for the Bonnies to run and try to create some easy buckets off the press.

Where they need to win more battles, however, is down in the trenches and out on the perimeter. The Bonnies aren’t the biggest team in the A-10, but they do have enough size to hold their own on the boards as long as Williams and Lee stay out of foul trouble. Both players can also score some down low.

If the frontcourt duo draws defenders away from the perimeter, Relph and Fereti have to come through from behind the arc. The Bonnies need to hit a higher percentage of treys to put more pressure on opposing defenses and reduce the stress on their own. If the Bonnies fire blanks again, they will miss out on a golden chance to shoot up in the standings.

PREDICTION

When Anthony Solomon was hired in 2003, he said the new coaches and players would be “marching forward together” as the school recovered from the Welder-gate scandal.

After his first two seasons yielded a total of nine victories, Solomon pronounced that the program was “continuing to march.” At the end of his third season, which resulted in eight wins, the coach repeatedly declared that St. Bonaventure had “closed the gap” on the competition.

And the mantra for 2006? The Bonnies are now building the program “brick by brick” and will “lay more bricks down,” Solomon says.

Well, the Bonnies certainly laid quite few bricks last year. The team shot a miserable 26% from behind the arc and killed a lot of rallies with ill-advised shots. They certainly have to shoot better to march forward instead of sideways. Otherwise Solomon will be marching off to unemployment in the near future.

Solomon has a chance to avoid that long walk in the upcoming season. Lots of A-10 teams have lost key veterans and a leaguewide youth cycle is underway. It’s the perfect time for an older and somewhat experienced Bonnies squad to move up in the standings.

Like other programs, though, St. Bonaventure has a number of question marks. Frontcourt depth is shallow and outside shooting is suspect. Lee and Williams are the only proven A-10 players. Relph and Hawkins both showed flashes but they need to raise the level of their play. Much is also riding on how the junior-college recruits perform.

There’s grist here for a run at the .500 mark, but the Bonnies will be ground to dust again unless they shoot better, play tougher defense and learn to win on the road.

Record: 12-17 (4-12), 13th Place

ADDENDUM

Some additional comments:

I originally put the Bonnies several spots higher, but to be frank, I am less than enamored with the coaching (defense) so far of Anthony Solomon. I simply could not put St. Bonaventure higher than 13th because of my lack of confidence. Yet looking at the sked, it’s eminently possible for the Bonnies to win as many as 11 noncon games even though I conservatively marked them at 7-6. Were that to happen, the Bonnies would almost certainly win more than four A-10 games. The league will be extremely competitive again, though, so I don’t see many gimmes for the Bonnies, even at home.

W – Chicago State (neutral Texas site)
L – Texas (likely opponent in 2nd round of 2K tournament)
W – CENTRAL ARKANSAS
W – At St. Francis, Pa.
L – At Central Connecticut State
W – NIAGRA
W – BOSTON UNIVERSITY
L – OHIO
W – WRIGHT STATE
L – At Albany
W – HAMPTON
W – Canisius (at Buffalo’s Koessler Center)
L – At Syracuse

Among the predicted losses, I think the Bonnies should beat St. Francis and Central Connecticut State. Albany is a good team – Blue Ribbon predicts the school to win its league – and they likely will be favored vs. Bona. The Bonnies are capable of beating them, but given their problems on the road, I would not count on it.

Link: A-10 PREVIEW – 13TH PLACE

Thanks for copying them them Run, I can’t get to the A10 boards from work.

[b]A-10 PREVIEW – 12th PLACE

RHODE ISLAND RAMS[/b]
Last year: 14-14 (8-8), 7th Place (tie)

INSTITUTION:
University of Rhode Island
Founded: 1888
Enrollment: 13,400
Affiliation: Public university

ARENA
Ryan Center
Seats: 7,657
Average attendance: 4,759

COACH
Jim Baron, 6th year (20th overall)
Record at Rhode Island: 68-81 (274-283 overall; 47.5% winning percentage)

ROSTER
1 Joe Mbang Jr. PF 6-7 225 Cameroon/Monroe CC (NY)
*14 Parfait Bitee Jr. WG 6-2 180 Cameroon/Louisville, KY
15 Lamonte Ulmer Fr. F 6-6 180 Hamden, CT/Notre Dame (MA)
*20 Jimmy Baron So. WG 6-2 175 East Greenwich, RI/Worcester (MA) Academy
24 Jon Lucky So. PG 6-5 220 Waterbury, CT
*25 Will Daniels Jr. WF 6-8 210 Hyde Park, NY
21 Delroy James Fr. F 6-7 200 Brooklyn, NY/Laurinburg (NC) Prep
22 Keith Cothran Fr. WG 6-4 175 Winchendon, MA/ Winchendon Academy (MA)
33 Kahiem Seawright So. PF 6-8 210 Uniondale, NY
34 Darrell Harris Sr. C 6-10 205 Cleveland, OH/Cuyahoga (OH) CC
32 Jonathan Cruz Fr. F 6-7 210, Lawrence, MA
44 Terrance Grier Fr. 6-0 G 190 Cranford, NJ/St. Thomas More (CT)

*Returning starters

OVERVIEW

The players responsible for Rhode Island’s last 20-win season three years ago have finally departed and a youth movement is underway in Kingston. Coach Jim Baron now turns to a new generation of Rams to try to regain the program’s faltering momentum and mute his growing chorus of critics. URI recruited a talented class of seven newcomers. At least one of them, muscular 6-6 junior college star Joe Mbang, could help right away.

Bigger contributions are naturally expected from the returnees. Versatile small forward Will Daniels and 6-7 sophomore Kahiem Seawright, a more traditional back-to-the-basket player, pace the inside attack. Jimmy Baron, the coach’s son, is a deadly shooter. The biggest question is who handles the point. The Rams have only one true point guard on the roster, sophomore Jon Lucky, but he missed last season for personal reasons. The jury is still out on whether he is the long-term answer.

With all their youth and inexperience, the Rams are looking at a transition year. Ball-handling, outside shooting and post scoring – all areas of weakness last season – are still suspect. The biggest improvements URI makes are most likely to result from the efforts of the small core of players already in Baron’s system.

Yet that’s not enough. The Rams need contributions, however small, from the newcomers. Since shooting and lack of size are obvious problems, Baron intends to speed up the game to take advantage of URI’s best assets: fresh legs, length and athleticism.

“You have to utilize what you have,” Baron told the Providence Journal. “The things we’re focusing on are using our athletic ability, trying to play more up-tempo than in the past, playing with high energy.”

DEPARTED PLAYERS

Dawan Robinson – Powerful combo guard led the Rams in scoring (15.7 ppg) and assists, but the effects of a broken foot that sidelined him during his junior year were all too obvious. Robinson was not nearly as explosive and never regained consistency on his jumpshot (27% 3PG). He also turned the ball over too much in an effort to give the often-punchless Rams more scoring. While Robinson will be missed, his departure gives the younger Rams more room to expand their games and develop a new identity for URI.

Jamaal Wise – Undersized 6-6 forward led URI in rebounding (5.9 rpg) and was good defender. Despite finishing third on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg), Wise was not a dangerous offensive threat. He mostly scored on putbacks or in transition.

J.R. Moore – The Rams biggest player did not return for his junior year apparently for personal reasons, leaving a gaping hole in the middle. A solid 245 pounds, Moore likely would have seen plenty of minutes at center. He was a good shotblocker and interior defender who ran the floor well, though his offense never developed (2.7 ppg, 39% FG).

Terrence Mack – The 6-7 power forward, bothered by injuries, finished his career on a disappointing note. His missed five games and only averaged 12 minutes per outing. At his best, the 240-pound Mack gave the Rams some muscle inside and an occasional burst of scoring. Both attributes were sorely lacking last season (4.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg).

Jon Clark – Big-bodied 6-10 center from Canada showed promise as a freshman, but that turned out to be the highlight of his career. Clark lacked athletic ability and never refined his offensive skills (2 ppg, 40% FG).

Tyrese Sullivan – Quick but smallish 5-10 point guard was hindered by back trouble his entire career and never became more than a bit player.

RETURNING PLAYERS

Will Daniels – Versatile 6-8 forward is URI’s best returning player (11 ppg) and a legitimate all-conference candidate. Daniels has 3-point range (33% 3PG) and can post up smaller defenders. He can also break down defenders off the dribble to create a shot for himself or teammates. Long and quick, Daniels is a good rebounder (5.6 rpg) and defender (25 steals, 18 blocks) and often plays bigger players to a standstill.

As a junior with the most experience on a young team, Daniels is expected to take the lead, but with that responsibility comes increased defensive attention by opponents. Daniels has the skills and athleticism to meet the challenge, but he’ll have to improve his decision making and show up every night. He didn’t do that last year. Sometimes he gets frustrated and tries to force the issue when his teammates aren’t performing up to par. Other times he seemed too content to be a member of the supporting cast. Daniels can’t play second fiddle anymore if the Rams are going to be successful.

Jimmy Baron – The coach’s son doesn’t need any favors from his dad. He’s clearly the best shooter (8.7 ppg, 36% 3PG) on Rhode Island and needs to be on the floor. Even as a freshman, he was a focal point of defenses on an offensively-challenged URI squad. He rarely got easy looks. Baron was also forced to play point – not his natural position – since the Rams lacked a true point guard. Given his ball-handling responsibilities and the attention he received defensively, it’s a wonder that Baron shot as well as he did.

Baron’s velvet touch comes in particularly handy in late-game situations when the Rams have the lead. He made 27 of 28 free throws on the season, a 96% mark, and his lone miss was intentional. What shouldn’t be expected of Baron is stalwart defense or lots of dribble penetration. His raison d’etre is stretching defenses and knocking down three’s.

Jon Lucky – A big recruiting catch three years ago, Lucky has been anything but in his checkered career at Rhode Island. As a freshman (5 ppg, 2.3 apg, 2.3 rpg), he sustained repeated injuries. Unsure of his role in his second season, Lucky quit the team, rejoined it, quit again and then decided to take a year off.

As a redshirt sophomore, Lucky gets a clean slate. He’s the only true point guard on the roster with any real experience. At 6-5 and 220 pounds, he is not a blazingly quick breakdown artist, but his size allows him to see over the top of defenses and gets the ball to teammates in the right spots. Lucky also uses his body well to shield defenders and protect the ball, though his decision making was shaky as a freshman (60 assists to 56 turnovers). While not a great shooter (31% 3PG), Lucky has the ability to keep defenses honest. The big question is whether he’s ready to go mentally; it’s unclear if the year off will hurt or help. The Rams could be better than expected if Lucky plays like his coaches originally envisioned, but URI better have a backup option ready.

Parfait Bitee – Wing guard (6.3 ppg, 3 rpg) started most of the year until a fractured ankle cost him the last nine games. The 6-2 Bitee is the team’s best perimeter defender. He keeps opponents in front of him and uses his quick hands to poke the ball away. His offense, though not a strong suit, has improved in each of his first two years. Bitee exercised better shot selection and raised his 3-point accuracy to 37% last year from 33% as a freshman. He also has a quick first step and will attack the rim if defenders turn their heads. While Bitee can play point in a pinch, he’s not a creative ballhandler. Ideally he would be the third guard off the bench, but Baron might go with a three-guard offense to keep his most experienced players on the floor.

Kahiem Seawright – The 6-8 sophomore from New York showed solid all-round ability as a freshman and will get a chance to start at power forward. Seawright (4.4 ppg, 51% FG) has a nice touch inside and is a surprisingly good interior passer (40 assists) who works well with Daniels. He plays with a lot of energy, loves to attack the offensive glass and uses his long arms to good effect on defense. Seawright is supposed to have some range on his jumper and he’ll try to take defenders off the dribble, but the Rams really need him down low where he seems most effective.

Darrell Harris – Slender 6-10 center has good perimeter skills for his size, but the big numbers he racked up in the juco ranks did not translate at the Division 1 level (1.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2 of 15 on treys). Harris was not strong enough to man the middle and he’s an average defender at best. As a senior, Harris will get another chance to show what he can do on a team that’s very young in the frontcourt. He is long and athletic. If he polishes up his inside game and does the necessary work on his body – Harris looks to have added 15 pounds to get his weight up to 220 – he could give the Rams a big lift where they need it most.

NEWCOMERS

Delroy James – Brooklyn native, who’s expected to contribute immediately, comes from a family of talented basketball players. He leaps well, is quick to the basket and has a rapidly improving midrange jumper. While he’ll need to shoot consistently to make a big mark at URI, he’s got the makeup to be a very good player.

Joe Mbang – Chiseled power forward could get a chance to start given the Ram’s need for size in the post. By one account he was one of the better juco power players in America. Mbang uses good strength and quickness to make up for lack of height. He’s said to be tough on the boards and he scores most of his points near the basket.

Jonathan Cruz – Another undersized power forward, Cruz was considered the best post player in Massachusetts (excluding prep schools). He’s not a tremendous athlete, but Cruz is smart, wiry strong and plays hard. He’s a good rebounder and has shown some diversity in his game with short faceup jumpers and good passes to cutters from the top of the key. Cruz will probably start off his career as a deep reserve.

Terrance Grier – Strong-bodied scoring guard has a quick first step and a knack for getting to the rack. Since the Rams most need point play and shooting from the wing, Grier may not get big minutes unless he unveils a reliable jumper or URI regularly deploys a press.

Keith Cothran – Long-limbed slasher has been described by his prep coach as a “poor man’s Julius Hodge,” but that’s too generous. The 6-4 wingman is a solid all-round player but lacks a defined offensive game. Like Grier, Cothran is a streaky shooter who needs to develop a more consistent jumper. At 175 pounds, he’ll also have to get stronger.

Lamonte Ulmer – Combo forward isn’t especially big at 6-6 180, but he’s a high-energy player who’s tough to keep off the boards and can hit mid-range jumpers if teams lay off him. He’s not a bad ball-handler and can take bigger defenders off the dribble, though he needs more work in both areas. His jumpshot could use a little polish, too. Ulmer, a spring signee, got some late looks from Big East schools.

Frank Monge – Little is known about the center from Puerto Rico. With the premature departure of junior center J.R. Moore, Monge gives the Rams some added size and depth on a roster lacking any true bigmen.

SCOUTING REPORT

The prospects for the coming season probably rest most heavily on Jon Lucky, the team’s only true point guard. Opponents will test him early and often. Unless he plays well, coach Jim Baron would have to switch Bitee or Jimmy Baron Jr. to the point even though both players are more effective off the ball.

Just as important, URI has to find more scorers to complement the shooting of Baron and the inside-out play of Daniels. Stop them and Rhode Island will have trouble beating anybody. The defensive-minded Bitee is a decent shooter, but others have to man the perimeter or defenses will simply drop back into a zone. Rhode Island has difficulty enough getting baskets down on the block. The undersized Rams bigmen won’t be able to breath if defenders are constantly collapsing around them.

The lack of size could also pose a problem on the boards. Coach Jim Baron’s clubs are typically among the best rebounding teams in the league. The Rams will have to utilize their quickness to beat opponents for rebounds or loose balls. Also expect URI to extend its defensive pressure to create more points in a faster-paced game.

“Keith Cothran, Lamonte Ulmer, Delroy James, Terence Grier, Joe Mbang – these are guys that can run, that can get up and down the floor,” Baron says. “We want to take advantage of what they can do, beat teams down the floor, take it to the bucket.”

In some ways, the “new” approach isn’t all that new. Baron’s best teams have usually been quick and aggressive and able to score off turnovers or in transition. The slow-it-down butt-heads style of the most recent Ram editions is not classic Baron after all.

PREDICTION

The Rams have restocked the roster with athletic players, but URI is small and inexperienced and doesn’t shoot well. A major drop in the standings appears inevitable unless players such as Lucky, Harris and Mbang make surprisingly strong contributions.

“We’ve got seven new players and three other guys (Harris, Seawright and Baron) who have played only one year of college basketball,” Baron says. “We know we’re going to go through some growing pains, but we’re going to build with this new group.”

The players might not get a chance to “build” any confidence, however, as they try to navigate a treacherous nonconference minefield. The Rams play Kansas, Boston College, Depaul, Providence, Utah and Houston, among others. URI is likely to start out in such a bad way that the fragile egos of its young players might not fully recover once A-10 play begins.

Predicted record: 10-19 (5-11)

ADDENDUM

A few additional comments:

Rhody doesn’t appear to have enough weapons or experience to avoid another major tumble, but the Rams should be more fun to watch. The last few URI teams really slowed the game down and turned everything into a wrestling match. Baron has always been a big believer in weight lifting, but his best teams are strong AND quick (Tim Winn and Caswell Cyrus come to mind). His most recent team was strong, but not quick. A player like Jamaal Wise, for instance, lost some of his quickness by bulking up too much. The same thing happened a few years ago to Brian Woodward.

BTW, I’d be curious to know exactly what Baron was thinking when he put the current noncon sked together. It’s brutal, plain and simple. Even predicting five wins (5-8), as I did, is questionable. However, if the Rams win more than five, they will clearly be better than I think.

Note: I am not sure who the Rams would play in the Top of the World Classic in Alaska if they do lose to Troy, but I figure they would win the next two games against lesser competition

W – STONEHILL (non division 1 school; doesn’t count in RPI)
L - HOUSTON
L – Troy (Top of the World Classic)
W - Alaska or Weber State (Top of the World Classic)
? - Centenary / Drake / SE Missouri / Utah State (Top of the World Classic)
L – At Boston College
W – IONA
L – At Providence
W – BROWN
L – UTAH
L – DEPAUL
W – BOSTON UNIVERSITY
L – At Ohio University
L – At Kansas

A-10 PREVIEW – 12th PLACE

[b]A-10 PREVIEW – 11TH PLACE

RICHMOND SPIDERS[/b]
Last year: 13-17 (6-10), 11th place (tie)

INSTITUTION
University of Richmond
Founded: 1830
Enrollment: 3,000
Affiliation: Private, liberal arts university

ARENA
Robins Center
Seats: 9,171
Average Attendance: 4,749

COACH
Chris Mooney, 2nd year (3rd overall)
Record at Richmond: 13-17 (31-29 overall)

ROSTER
2 Steven Kendall Fr. WG 6-4 185 Chatham, VA/Hargrave (VA)
4 Jarhon Giddings So. F 6-9 240 Clemmons, NC
5 Brian Morris Fr. G/F 6-5 175 Camp Hill, PA
*11 Oumar Sylla Jr. G/F 6-7 230 Mali/Long Island, NY/Valparaiso
*13 Peter Thomas Sr. G/F 6-5 210 Little Rock, AK
*15 Gaston Moliva Sr. PF 6-7 230 Cameroon/Ryan Academy (VA)
21 David Gonzalvez Fr. G/F 6-4 190 Marietta, GA/Notre Dame Prep (MA)
32 David Brewster Fr. F 6-6 200 Silver Spring, MD
35 Kevin Hovde Fr. G/F 6-5 200 Kennett Square, PA
40 Dan Geriot Fr. F/C 6-9 215 Springfield, PA
44 Ryan Butler Fr. WG 6-6 185 Richmond, VA
50 Drew Crank Jr. C 6-11 240 Lynchburg, VA

*Returning starters

OVERVIEW

Chris Mooney spent his first year at Richmond trying to turn a bunch of Ford pickups into Honda Accords. The results were seldom pretty, but the Spiders outbattled opponents through the end of January in compiling an 11-8 record (4-2 in conference). They whacked Seton Hall, almost upset Louisville on the road and beat St. Louis and Charlotte at home. The wheels finally came off in February. Richmond lost nine of its last 11 games and crashed out in the first round of the A-10 tournament in an ugly 45-37 loss to Fordham.

Gone from the Spiders are Jermaine Bucknor and Kevin Steenberge, who finished 1-2 in scoring and rebounding on a team that finished last in the A-10 in both categories. That’s the bad news. The good news? Mooney assembled a talented seven-member recruiting class. The new Spiders are collection of good shooters and passers more suited to the coach’s Princeton-style offense. Now Mooney has some round pegs to fit into his round holes. And he’s counting on the newcomers to fit the roundball more frequently in the hoop: Richmond was one of only two A-10 teams to shoot under 30% from behind the arc.

The new guys are too young to do all the heavy lifting, of course. That job has to fall on the broad shoulders of some of the veterans such as bruising bigman Gaston Moliva or perhaps talented but oft-injured big forward Jarhon Giddings. Mooney still doesn’t have enough round pegs, but the players from the old regime are malleable enough to help.

“Our returning players came into this school year in much better condition than last year and have been able to play and practice better because of that,” Mooney says. “We have emphasized dribbling, passing and shooting and they are more confident now in their abilities.”

DEPARTED PLAYERS

Jermaine Bucknor – Canadian native shone the brightest (13.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg) in a dismal year for Richmond hoops. A well-rounded player, the 6-6 Bucknor led the team in scoring and steals and finished second in rebounding. He also hit some key 3-point shots and was one of the team’s better defenders. Over his five-year career, he improved steadily each season.

Kevin Steenberge – The 6-11 center was unsuited for coach Chris Mooney’s Princeton-style offense. Steenberge’s scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage declined and he rarely was the dominating force he was as a junior, when he was selected to the A-10 Third Team. The system took Steenberge away from the basket at both ends of the floor, where he was most comfortable. Mooney made some adjustments to try to help Steenberge, but it was too little too late.

Monty Sanders – Son of a former Harlem Globetrotter, the 6-6 Sanders showed plenty of athleticism and aggressiveness but not skills to match. The sophomore transferred.

Tim Mayes – Texas native with a reputation as a good outside shooter saw his career cut short by a hip injury.

T.J. Paterick – Back trouble ended the career of the plucky 6-1 transfer from Washington State.

RETURNING PLAYERS

Oumar Sylla – The transfer from Valparaiso, a natural wing forward, received baptism under fire in his first season at Richmond when he was forced to play the point. The 6-7 230-pound Sylla (6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 apg) did nothing to embarrass himself, at least on the court. While he failed to create lots of baskets for teammates, he also didn’t cough up the ball at the first whiff of defensive pressure.

In his second go-around with the Spiders, Sylla is likely to move back to the wing where he belongs. He has an unorthodox release and is not a great shooter (36% FG, 23% 3PG), but he’ll contribute a few baskets a game by taking his man off the dribble or putting back some loose caroms. His strength is defense (34 steals). Long and athletic, he can guard forwards or guards. The question is whether he will get the chance. Sylla was charged with theft in an on-campus incident and was suspended pending outcome of the investigation.

Peter Thomas – Former walk-on is smart, hard-working and fundamentally sound. Given limited duties, Thomas (6.2 ppg) doesn’t make many mistakes. Last year he was asked to do too much on a short-handed squad and his weaknesses showed. With a batch of promising new recruits aboard, the 6-5 wingman will likely resume his all-purpose role. Thomas makes crisp passes (71 assists) and open jump shots (44% FG, 34% 3PG) and he plays hard on defense (22 steals) even though he’s often overmatched.

Gaston Moliva – Senior power forward, a member of the A-10 All-Newcomer Team three years ago, have never developed into a star but he’s still a good player. The 230-pound Moliva (5.3 ppg) is the strongest member of the team and its best interior defender (25 blocks, 19 steals). He rebounds well (4.2 prg) and is especially tough to keep off the offensive glass. Moliva’s offense comes and goes. He owns some basic back-to-the-basket moves and can face up for short jumpers. Yet long, athletic defenders give the 6-7 Moliva trouble and his shots are often blocked. In Mooney’s offense, Moliva tried to extend his offense to behind the arc, but the experiment was hardly a success (7-36, 19.4% 3PG). Until last year, he had taken only one 3-pointer in his entire career.

When he shoots closer to the basket, Moliva is far more effective. He shot 55% on 2-point shots, but it’s unclear if Mooney will tailor his system to take advantage of Moliva’s strengths inside. The coach did not really do that for Kevin Steenberge, though it sounds like he might for Moliva. “I think that Gaston Moliva is in a position to take his game to a higher level,” Mooney told Collegehoops.net. “He is a tremendous athlete and defender who could excel with better players around him this year.” Translation: Moliva will have more space to work inside because the newcomers will stretch defenses and get him the ball in good spots.

Jarhon Giddings – If he ever gets totally healthy, the 6-9 redshirt sophomore could become a star. Giddings (4.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg) has the best combination of size and athleticism on the Richmond roster and he’s plenty skilled. He’s an alert passer, handles the ball well for a bigman and is a good shooter with 3-point range – witness 9 of 17 on treys in his last four games. Giddings also has the length to develop into a top defender. In short, he’s the veteran best suited to play in the Princeton-style offense among the returnees not recruited by Mooney.

His biggest weakness is weak bones. Giddings only played in 14 games last year before he was shut down for good because of stress fractures in his legs, the same problem that kept him out his entire freshman year. The redshirt sophomore will give it another go, but the Spiders can’t count on him with any certainty.

Drew Crank – Big 6-11 center (4.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg) lacks outstanding athleticism, but he’s mobile and skilled and should vie for a spot in the starting lineup. Like Moliva, Crank is not an ideal fit for the Princeton-style system, and he could often be found at the 3-point line hoisting treys. Although he hit a few key shots (31% 3PG), Crank would be better off sticking close to the basket where his size would come in handy on the boards. Crank has decent hands and a workable hookshot and could give the Spiders some points in the paint. It’s really not up to Crank, though. That’s the coach’s call. He can help the Spiders inside or out, but opponents certainly won’t mind if Crank plants himself far from the basket.

NEWCOMERS

Ryan Butler – A local basketball star and Mooney’s first recruit at Richmond, Butler sat out last year after breaking his foot. The redshirt freshman is a multi-skilled player. Though not a pure point guard, he ran the offense in high school and will get a chance to do the same for the Spiders. He’s better suited for that role than Sylla, especially since he’s a better shooter. In Mooney’s offense, point guards aren’t expected to attack the rim with abandon. They are supposed to move the ball around, cut to the basket and hit open jumpers. Butler appears capable of performing those tasks. The real question is how he would handle heavy defensive pressure. The new Richmond point guard will see plenty of it.

Dan Geriot – Agile bigman was a prolific scorer and one of the top players in coach Mooney’s home state of Pennsylvania. Tough-minded and multi-talented, Geriot can score inside or face up for jumpers and he is a good passer out of the post. The jewel of Mooney’s first full recruiting class should fit right in – Geriot’s high school team played a variation of the Princeton offense. At just 215 pounds, however, he’ll also have to fit in a lot more weight training.

David Brewster – Excellent 6-6 shooter with deep range connected on 45% of his treys as a junior and developed a reputation for late-game heroics. Like his future teammates, he’s said to be a good passer, and he might be the most athletic of the newcomers.

Brian Morris – The 6-5 Morris, another Philadelphia-area signee, is a smart all-round athlete who can pass, handle the ball and shoot the trey. He’s very thin at 175 and needs to bulk up. Still, Morris is considered a good pickup; he was twice named to Pennsylvania’s AA First Team. Last year, his team lost in the state playoffs to a team led by LaSalle signee Rodney Green.

Steven Kendall – The 6-4 wing guard originally committed to Virginia before Pete Gillen was fired, but he was not viewed as ACC material by the new coaching staff. He spent the past year on a loaded Hargrave (VA) prep team, and while he only put up modest numbers, he’s a good spotup shooter.

David Gonzalvez – The spring signee is not a great athlete with superior talent, but his teams always seem to win. Gonzalvez appears to be a “glue” type of player whose defense and all-round game could mesh well with the skills of the other recruits. He can handle the ball and shoot a bit himself, but he’s better known as a player who does all the little things.

Kevin Hovde – The high-scoring 6-4 prepster from the Philadelphia suburbs, who has a sister at Richmond, was a recruited walk-on. He fits the mold of the other Spider recruits – a heady player who can shoot and pass – but he was not well known on the recruiting circuit. Some analysts had him pegged for the Ivy League.

SCOUTING REPORT

Richmond needs to improve in almost every facet of the game. Scoring is the biggest weakness. Not a single returning Spider scored more than 14 points in a game last year. The freshmen should help with the shooting. Morris, Kendall and Brewster are all outstanding shooters with range. In a Princeton-style offense, backdoor cuts aren’t effective unless defenders are forced to guard the 3-point line. The Spiders’ threadbare offense (52.1 ppg) would be far more effective if the team can boost its 3-point percentage well north of 30%.

Rebounding is a more pressing concern. Richmond was outrebounded by a whopping 5.1 margin even though it was one of the biggest teams in the league. The Princeton variation Mooney deploys keeps bigmen too far from the basket. The Spiders still have some size, but they’ll need to use their quickness and anticipation to improve on the boards.

Point play is another question mark. Most of the players, particularly the newcomers, can handle the ball but there’s not a true point guard on the roster. Who is going to create a shot for teammates or himself in the closing seconds of a game?

Some of those weaknesses can be covered up some of the time by Mooney’s schemes. Richmond controls the pace of the game and gave up the fewest points in the A-10 last season, finishing seventh in the nation in points allowed (57.8 ppg). The Spiders frustrate impatient teams and if they get a big lead it’s hard to recover. The defense is often an overlooked part of Mooney’s system. He deploys lots of zone with man principles, an approach likely to shield the freshmen from their youth and physical immaturity.

Not even the best coach in the world, however, can create a system that fully hides the inexperience of untested freshmen. “I think that we will have to count on a lot of young players in key positions,” Mooney told Collegehoops.net, “and while I think those players are talented and have potential, it’s hard to compete at such a high level without experience.”

PREDICTION

Richmond can count on its five veterans – and Mooney’s stingy schemes – to keep the Spiders out of the A-10 basement while the seven newcomers learn to catch on. The team still has quite a bit of experience and size in Moliva, Giddings, Crank, Thomas and Sylla. The young Spiders, for their part, will be forced to grow up quickly and there’ll be plenty of bumps and bruises, some of them quite real.

Yet the program will be better for it next season. Richmond isn’t going to look pretty this year, but the freshmen will give a hint of coming attractions.

Record: 12-17 (5-11), 11th Place

ADDENDUM

A few additional comments:

I actually had Richmond one spot higher until a late change. I think you can basically flip flop 10 and 11 but I gave the edge to the team with a certain advantage. I think Richmond will be better than people think. As I noted, the team has more size and experience than it seems. What the freshmen have to do more than anything is hit open jump shots. Poor shooting killed Richmond last year. The Spiders couldn’t run backdoor cuts effectively or score any points, especially late in the season.

I also think the style of play will help conceal the weaknesses of the newcomers, as I also noted. Richmond could especially give other young teams in the league trouble because of its system. Most young players do not know how to defend a Princeton offense.

On the other hand, the freshmen might need more time than I expect to learn Mooney’s system. As the veterans found out last year, it’s not easy. So maybe it’s a wash.

Keep an eye on Jarhon Giddings. If he stays healthy, the Spiders might even have a chance to jump another spot or two. He could be a really good player.

If the newcomers pan out, I certainly will not be looking forward to playing the Spiders in a year or two.

Below are my predicted noncon wins and losses. When I first marked the sked, I listed American and Marist as wins and I think ODU and especially South Florida are winnable. I listed them all as losses just to be conservative and assumed a 7-6 noncon record. I would be surprised if the Spiders did any worse than that, but not surprised if they do a bit better.

W – EAST CAROLINA
L – AMERICAN
W – LONGWOOD
L – At Old Dominion
W – RADFORD
L – MARIST
L – At South Florida
W – VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH
W – VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE
L – At Wake Forest
W – TULANE
W – At William & Mary
L – At Virginia Tech

Link: A-10 PREVIEW – 11TH PLACE

The Richmond loss last year was one of the low points of the season for me…I now hate the Spiders and that tall white guy who blocked everyones shots!