WH ranks A-10 by position

For those of us who visit the Atlantic 10 board, we are familiar with WH and his posts. His conference previews and predictions are forthcoming. Until then, he has provided his picks for “Top 5” by position.

Five Best A-10 Point Guards (Mitchell Baldwin #4)

Five Best A-10 Wing Guards

Five Best A-10 Centers (Martin Iti wouldn’t have sniffed this list! :rolleyes: )

Five Best A-10 Small Forwards

Five Best A-10 Power Forwards (Curtis Withers #2)

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

Would somebody not stuck behind a crappy firewall mind posting these lists?? Thanks.

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Sep 28 2005, 11:09 AM [b] Would somebody not stuck behind a crappy firewall mind posting these lists?? Thanks. [/b]
Hopefully, he wont get mad about this. If he does, I'll take it down.

Five Best Point Guards

1. Mardy Collins, Temple (17.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.6 apg, 85 steals). Collins is a lot like former Charlotte star Eddie Basden, only better. Though not a real point guard, Collins has a nice handle and takes care of the ball. And though not a great shooter (28% 3PG), he’s a bigtime scorer. He can even take over a game defensively with his uncanny ball-hawking. Given his his size, athleticism, scoring, ball-handling and defense, Collins is a good bet to be on somebody’s NBA roster next year.

2. Dwayne Lee, St.Joseph’s (9.4 ppg, 188 assists, 39 steals). Lee struggled early on after replacing Hawks great Jameer Nelson, but he soon settled down and ran his team as well as any point guard in the league. He’s not a game breaker like Mardy Collins, but Lee shoots pretty well (35% 3PG), penetrates when the moment is ripe and protects the ball (2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio). He’s also a good on-the-ball defender who doesn’t gamble uncessarily. With Lee, it’s steady as she goes.

3. Carl Elliott, George Washington (8.2 ppg, 4.6 apg, 3.8 rpg, 37% 3PG). Elliott is the best “true” point guard in the A-10 when he plays under control. He’s extremely strong (6-4, 220 pounds) for a player in his position, but also exceedingly quick (79 steals). He loves to push the ball and make risky passes. Sometimes it leads to an avalanche of GW points. Other times to turnovers and lost momentum. With all the talented scorers on the roster, Elliott doesn’t have to do much. Make no mistake, though. He’s a good shooter who can get to the rim. His problem is not about skills or athleticism. It’s about making the right decisions most of the time.

4. Mitchell Baldwin, Charlotte (7.5 ppg). Baldwin is the opposite of Elliott. He doesn’t take many risks. He guards the ball like a precious jewel (45 turnovers), delivers it to scorers in their favorite spots (107 assists) and rachets up the defensive pressure after the ball drops through the net. Nothing flashy about him at all. Baldwin is an old-fashioned point guard, a college version of Mo Cheeks.

5. Kevin Anderson, Fordham. Another big point guard, Anderson runs the fast break efficiently and keeps the ball moving in the halfcourt. He can be creative at times (101 assists), but doesn’t give up the ball easily (62 turnovers). He’s a topnotch defender, too. Anderson’s biggest weakness is shooting (4.3 ppg, 35% FG, 13% 3PG). On a team like Xavier, GW or Charlotte, that wouldn’t be a problem, but Fordham does not have the luxury of such depth and talent. Anderson doesn’t need to become a double-digit scorer. He just needs to keep defenders honest.

Five Best Wing Guards

1. Dawan Robinson, Rhode Island. If he’s fully healthy, Robinson is one of the best guards on the East Coast. He’s an explosive scorer who can drain the trey or streak to the rim. When he puts his mind to it, he can also shut down the other team’s top wing scorer. Two seasons ago, he averaged 15 points (40% 3PG) to go along with 4 boards and 3.5 assists a game. Charlotte fans might remember the 31 points he dropped on the 49ers in a wild 96-90 overtime win in Kingston.

2. Stanley Burrell, Xavier (12.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 37% 3pG). An emerging star, Burrell led the Musketeers in scoring as a freshman and hit some big game-winning shots. He’s a blur in the open court and a lights-out shooter with near Brendan Plavich range. Burrell is not a shabby defender, either. Coaches say the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. A-10 coaches wish Burrell remained a freshman. He was trouble enough then.

3. Brian Roberts, Dayton (9.2 ppg, 43% FG). Dayton’s sophomore stud is, like Burrell, a terrific athlete with a great shot. The similarities end there. Roberts is more deliberate, a creamy smooth shooter who can stop on a time or freeze defenders with a hesitation dribble.

4. Maurice Maxwell, Massachusetts (11.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg). Long and athletic junior guard can either lead the break (107 assists) or finish with a soaring jam. He’s also a game-changing defender (51 steals, 17 blocks) who turns turnovers into quick points. While he’s improved his outside shot (31% 3PG), Maxwell still has to become more consistent. If he succeeds, he might have a future in pro ball.

5. Mark Tyndale, Temple (12.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 54 assists, 37 steals). Though Tyndale shot poorly as a freshman (33% FG, 29% 3PG), he’s a terrific athlete with good size and strength. He rebounds like a forward, finishes well in traffic and is a solid defender. He shot thousands of jumpers in the offseason, so don’t expect him to suddenly become gun shy.

Thanks, NA!!

Five Best Centers

1. Bryant Dunston, Fordham (14.9 ppg, 8.6 rpg). Rising star can dominate inside, face up for jumpers and send your shot right back in your face (67 blocks).

2. Kevin Steenberge, Richmond (12.6 ppg, 6 rpg, 39 blocks). Steenberge is an ideal case of a bigman maturing in college. He arrived thin as a rail but is now solid as an oak. He’s got some nice moves inside but can face up, too. Here’s a white man who can jump.

3. Pops Mensah Bonsu, George Washington (12.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 46 blocks). Explosive dunker deluxe, a SportsCenter highlight machine, is a gazelle on the break and has added a nice baby hook. He’s not really a center, but in Karl Hobbs’s uptempo system, he’ll do quite nicely. Now if only he could stay out of foul trouble …

4. Stephane Lasme, Massachusetts (6.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg). The fast developing Lasme is undersized at center, but he’s got incredible hops and timing and is the A-10’s best shotblocker (72 blocks). When he’s not changing games defensively, he’s showing more offensive skills (57% FG) than just basic putbacks and dunks.

5. Kieron Achara, Duquesne. Solid bigman from Scotland (11.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 46 blocks) rarely dominates, but he’s an improved scorer and defender who could start for almost any A-10 team.

Five Best Small Forwards

1. J.R. Pinnock, George Washington (13.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 62 assists, 45 steals, 16 blocks). Pinnock, the most spectacular athlete in the A-10, is deadly in the open floor but finds a way to contribute in the half court. He’s an inconsistent shooter, but does have 3-point range. With an improved shot, he’s be unguardable. Did I also mention that he is a superb defender?

2. Justin Cage, Xavier. (11.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 62 assists, 30 steals). The Musketeer’s Mr. Can-Do, Cage is a prototype slasher who finishes well on the break and is one of the A-10’s best offensive rebounders. He gets his points in a variety of ways and there may be no better one-on-one defender in the league.

3. Ahmad Smith, St. Bonaventure. The strongest guard in the league – and maybe the country – Smith led his team in scoring (14.2 ppg), rebounds (6.2 rpg), assists (98) and was second in steals, blocks and 3-pointers made. A candidate for the Blue Collar Hall of Fame.

4. Chet Stachitas, St. Joseph’s. A good all-round athlete, Stachitas was leading the Hawks in scoring early last season until he suffered a severe ankle sprain that bothered him the rest of the year. He still scored 10.8 points a game (35% 3PG) and played tough defense. Stachitas, who was second on the team in assists (71), is also a clever passer.

5. Monty Scott, Dayton (11.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 38% 3PG). Although Scott doesn’t bring his “A” game every night, he led the Flyers in scoring and stretches defenses with his shooting. With a nice handle and good strength, the athletic Scott can also score off the dribble or inside. He could be a First-Team caliber talent if he played hard all the time.

Five Best Power Forwards

1. Steven Smith, LaSalle (20.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 47 steals). Smith led the A-10 in scoring even though half the league was draped across his back. His shooting percentages went down and his turnovers up, but no player faced such relentless defensive pressure. He carried a depleted LaSalle team for long stretches in a way that few other players in the league could do. He can run the break, score inside or out, handle the ball and hit open teammates with a pass. His next stop is the NBA.

2. Curtis Withers, Charlotte (18 ppg, 8.1 rpg). More physical than Smith and almost as versatile. Wither is a pitbull in the paint and a ferocious rebounder. He can dribble the ball and shoot from outside as well. He is Smith are two sides of the same coin.

3. Rashaun Freeman, Massachusetts (15.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 54% FG). Nobody has move moves in the paint than Freeman and he’s just as devastating on the fast break. The thing most likely to stop him is foul trouble. He fouled out of five games.

4. Mike Hall, George Washington (10.6 ppg, 8 rpg, 47% 3PG, 56 assists, 29 steals, 14 blocks). Arguably the best all-round player in the A-10, Hall is really a small forward forced to play the power slot in Hobbs’ system. He’s a versatile inside-out scorer who’s become a deadly 3-point shooter when left open. Hall is also a lockdown defender who can guard any position on the court.

5. Brian Thornton, Xavier (10.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg). Thornton is the best operator in the A-10 on the low blocks. No one gets in better position to score. Despite severe tendonitis that hobbled him much of the season, he still managed to shoot 60%. There’s no telling what damage he could do if he were healthy.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Sep 28 2005, 10:22 AM [b] Nothing flashy about him at all [/b]
Um, HELLO... He's only the fastest man on the planet - hope those jets were refueled over the off-time! Mitch needs to burn a few guys as a part of the welcoming package.

I’m surprised DeAngelo didn’t make the list.

I don’t think WH knows what position to classify him as. Probably should be on the SF list.

We only have 2 people on those 5 lists. If that’s all we had in our arsenal, I don’t think our position as a preseason conference frontrunner would be justified. Mitch and Curtis are known quantities. People don’t know DA, Bennett, or any of the other new guys. And I suspect that Drayton will be significantly improved this year.

BTW Alum - I’m anticipating a steady diet of halfcourt basketball once league plays starts. Hope we can finally demonstrate the ability to play that game.

If we can play any bit of defense whatsoever this year, we will stay in the top 25 the whole season.

I personally think the loss of Plavich does more to help the defense than the loss of Basden hurts it. But thats just my opinion, we’ll see how things play out in a month.

i don’t they took into account the players that didn’t play last year nor did they take in account any incoming talent. So these are obviously skewed a little bit because jameson, bennett, alexander, and williams should have all made the list.

Ever since we knew the Niners were heading for the A-10, I have been monitoring the Atlantic 10 board on basketballboards.net. I have come to really respect WH for his knowledge of the A-10. After reviewing these 5 lists, can’t say I can disagree with any of his selections. Of course there will be some surprises, as well as newcomers that will make a splash in 05-06. When looking at returnees, though, WH has done an admirable job.

FWIW, some not on the list who could shine this season:

De’Angelo Alexander, Charlotte
Bryant McAllister, Duquesne
Marcus Stout, Fordham
Jermaine Thomas, LaSalle
Jamaal Wise, Rhode Island
Jermaine Bucknor, Richmond
Tommie Liddell, Saint Louis
Ian Vouyoukas, Saint Louis
Justin Doellman, Xavier

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

I really am looking for EJ to have a terrific year…I think the boy will put up big numbers.

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@Sep 28 2005, 11:39 AM [b] i don't they took into account the players that didn't play last year nor did they take in account any incoming talent. So these are obviously skewed a little bit because jameson, bennett, alexander, and williams should have all made the list. [/b]
ok i can see deangelo and maybe bennett, but lets not get carried away. whats next, tripp miller should have been on the list?

Hello, 49ers fans. Greetings from a longtime Cedric Maxwell fan. I still remember that Butch Lee fling and Whitehead score like it was yesterday. I was thrilled when the Celtics – I grew up near Boston – drafted Max. As you know, he’s the color radio guy up there nowadays.

To NinerAdvocate, I have no problem with posting the material here. I am glad you linked to the A-10 board, though. Since I post there, I like to drive some traffic to the site. But generally, the more the merrier. I encourage anyone to post my stuff anywhere. If it helps the A-10 or its fans, great.

to Run49er, thanks for the kind words. I am very impressed by your knowledge of the A-10 and especially by your weekly league roundup. I’ve checked this site regularly for that info.

Looking ahead, one of the things I am most interested in discovering is who surprise who more. Will Charlotte surprise the A-10 with just how good they really are, or will Charlotte fans be surprised by just how good the A-10 really is.

I admit to being a bit of an A-10 homer here. I think it will be the latter, but that’s what the games are for.

To answer a few questions, I am well aware of who the Niners have brought in. I expect Goldwire and Drayton to increase their production, and at least one newcomer will have to produce big numbers and will probably get all-league consideration. Alexander obviously is the most likely candidate given his skills and his performance at Oklahoma.

I further expect Alexander to start at small forward. My guess is that Lutz will want to have two big 3-point threats on the floor to start – Goldwire and Alexander – since Baldwin is not particulary dangerous out there.

Clearly, Alexander could emerge as one of the top small forwards in the A-10. Some new A-10 players not on my lists will shine, as Run49er points out. If I were to put him on my list, I would have removed Chet Stachitas of St. Joe’s or Monty Scott of Dayton.

Yet Stach will be that team’s No. 1 scoring option and should put up good numbers. In addition, Stach is a tough defender and a team leader. The knock on Alexander, as you know, is that he did not play good defense at Oklahoma. You cant judge players by offense alone.

Scott is less consistent than Stachitas and I could easily see Alexander surpassing him, but Scott is bigger, stronger and just as athletic than Alexander. He oozes potential.

In any case, I cut the names off at five for a reason. Better for the purposes of debate. Run49er jotted down a list of lots of other names that could have ended up on the list.

One fan repeated Lutz’s line about Baldwin being the fastest man on the planet. Well, that’s not what I saw. He’s fast, but I think Stanley Burrell of Xavier is faster. Maybe even Warren Williams of Dayton, and Tabby Cunningham of LaSalle aint no slouch, either.

Speed is great, but it’s what you do with it that counts. Baldwin runs the team well, but he’s got some liabilities. He’s not a great shooter and it’s hard to believe a guy that fast barely ended up with more than 100 assists. There are more creative point guards in the A-10.

For a moment, I thought Dax was being facetious. Charlotte having six of the A-10’s top 25 players! Clearly, such a view would be, to put delicately, unrealistic. There are 14 teams in the league, and only one, GW, got more than two names on my lists.

By season end, I could see Charlotte with three names on that list, but that’s it. St. Joe’s only had four and Xavier three of the A-10’s top 25 players when they went to the Elite 8 two years ago. If Charlotte really had six of the league’s best players, you could start ordering your tickets for the Final 4.

I am particularly leery of overestimating juco players. Case in point is Drayton. He didn’t come close to matching his juco numbers as a 49er. I see that all the time.

At the same time, I know how good the A-10 is and how good the players are on my list. I watched over 80 games last year involving A-10 teams. I watched another 14-15 involving St. Louis and Charlotte. And I’ve seen 15 Charlotte games in the past two years. It’s a lot easier to compare when you’ve seen all the players in question. When you haven’t, it’s a lot harder to judge. That’s why a lot of jucos and transfers and freshmen don’t make my lists.

To be honest, I think the 49ers are not all that some here make them out to be. I saw them barely scrape by a struggling Indiana team, lose big at Cincinnati (with Baldwin out), lose at ECU, lose to Louisville at season end, lose to Memphis in the CUSA tourney and lose to NC State in the NCAAs.

Charlotte lost three biggest games of the year: when it had a chance to win the regular season title; when it had a chance to win the league tournament; and when it had a chance to win a game in the Big Dance. The 49ers lost their last four games of the year – and none were really close in the second half.

I do not come here to bury the 49ers, though. I come to praise them. I am delighted to have you in our league, even if many fans here are understandly less than thrilled. No need to rehash all that. You have a terrific coach who’s a great recruiter. The current edition has as much talent as anyone in the A-10. and the Niners have to be considered a favorite to win the league title.

Just don’t expect to show up and win. (-:

Welcome, WH. Good that you come with bball knowledge, this board can be tough :wink:

I doubt all those guys are faster than Baldwin. The guy is probably the best run/jump athlete I have seen on any Niners team. Obviously, shooting and creativity with the ball is his weakness, which you pointed out. But, all we really need him to be this year is solid, make open shots, and get the ball to the right people (ie mostly Curt). I really think he is better than he showed last season, especially post injury. We’ll see.

We bombed at the end of the season, as you said. We’re all aware. I really think lack of depth was a huge problem as well as defense. I think one of those has been cured, I seriously doubt the other one will be anytime soon.

All that being said, as bad as we finished, we were still at least as good as the A-10’s best team last year (in an admittedly down year for the conference). I don’t expect that will change this year, as both we and the conference should be improved. Hopefully, we prove you wrong :smiley: Can’t wait to find out.

[b]For a moment, I thought Dax was being facetious. Charlotte having six of the A-10’s top 25 players! Clearly, such a view would be, to put delicately, unrealistic. There are 14 teams in the league, and only one, GW, got more than two names on my lists.[/b]

i never really said they would be the best but they would be up there with the best. Being the best is something that takes too much work and determination. i understand where you could have misread what i had stated in a previous post. But in all honesty judging the way i’ve seen the 9ers play over the summer they could potentially with a lot of work and determination be some of the best. i was just giving a list of other possible candidates that we could have thrown into the mix of the better players in the conference.

in all honesty i expect the 9ers to show up and win because they can if they desire it. I’ve seen them in their worst of times and i’ve seen them in their best of times. In my honest opinion i think we could give the A10 a possible run for their money. Especially GW. I say this because the last time they played us we only lost by 1 or 2 points. But there was a key factor missing in the game. GW had pops and curtis was suspended. Think of how the outcome could have gone differently if curt had been playing. Mitch was the back up PG that year and he’s by far the fastest dude i’ve ever seen. So saying don’t expect to win is like kickin me in the stomach. With having a team that is as deep as ours is this year and has as much talent as they do i expect nothing but W’s this season. I’d be shocked if we had anything but that.

No problem, Dax. I think the Niners will win a lot of games this season, just not as many as you probably think. Like I said, it’s going to be fun for me to see who is surprised more. Niners fans or A-10 fans. I root for all A-10 teams all the time, except when they play UMass. I even rooted for Charlotte and St. Lo the past season.

You bring up the 49ers loss to GW two years ago. Keep in mind that GW was no more than the 5th best team in the A-10 that season. i wouldnt use that as a measuring stick. Our two best teams that year went to the Elite 8 (Xavier and St. Joe’s).

to Iron9er, I think St. Joe’s was clearly a better team at the end of last season than Charlotte. They started off horribly but made huge improvement. As evidence, I cite the Memphis-Charlotte and Memphis-St. Joe’s game at the end of the regular season and in the NIT tournament. I would have put GW and Charlotte last year in the same grouping. I dont see either team with separation.

As an A-10 fan, I’d also point out that last season was arguably the league’s worst since it expanded in 1996. I’m not sure I ever saw the A-10 so young. The league will be far more competitive, top to bottom, in the upcoming season. Don’t think it’s a picnic to play in places like St. Bonaventure, either. When they have a decent team, they are better than ECU (where you lost last season). The road trip to Olean NY is an absolute killer.

If the Charlotte 49ers by some miracle run the table in the A-10, I’ll come back here to take my medicine. Good luck in the upcoming season – except, of course, when you play UMass.