What are your top 5 most painful 49er losses?

1. Losing to chapel hill in 2OT on their home court.

2. being up by 15 in the first half against nc state and then losing the game.

3. losing to alabama in 3ot’s and the game last a little of 3 and a half hours.

4. Leemire vs. GW situation

5. Losing to marquette by a last second shot in 77 final four

2 Likes

[QUOTE=dax;245748]5. Losing to chapel hill in 2OT on their home court.

1. being up by 15 in the first half against nc state and then losing the game.

2. losing to alabama in 3ot’s and the game last a little of 3 and a half hours.

3. Leemire vs. GW situation

4. Losing to marquette by a last second shot in 77 final four[/QUOTE]

The 70 foot shot at the buzzer vs. Memphis in the 97-98 season is probably up there as well…

1 Like
5. Losing to chapel hill in 2OT on their home court.

4. Losing to marquette by a last second shot in 77 final four

I like the 5 but you have to add the horrible lose by 28 to Davidson last year on their Home Court.

I would say both UNC losses, on their court and in the NCAA tourny so there is 2.
The NC State loss in the tourny.
The Davidson debacle.
The '77 loss for sure.

1 Like

That NC State loss had to be the worst, with UNC we always played our hearts out just like alabama, but with NC State we just fell apart, state adjusted and we didn’t, we kept bombing threes and setting no plays for curt and state kept running that @%$%@## princeton offense that makes basketball freaking unbearable to watch. I put that loss squarely on Bobby.

While I would love to say that these historical losses hurt… the most painful ones are the ones I was here for.

Davidson and both GW losses. WF hurt pretty bad too…

[QUOTE=dax;245748]5. Losing to chapel hill in 2OT on their home court.

4. Losing to marquette by a last second shot in 77 final four[/QUOTE]
    Can’t disagree with any of these, although I might replace #3 with the 1977 Wake Forest game in Greensboro with the phantom charge on Melvin.

The loss to State in the tourney was by far the worst for me. That is the worst feeling I have ever had after a game. It was such a pivotal game for our program and we choked it away. I think we are still reeling from that game.

I don’t disagree with any on any lists so far, but I can’t believe noone has listed the great no-call for Dink vs. Kentucky…

1 Like

the worse officiated game i’ve ever seen was against memphis at halton (the same game mitch was body slammed right before halftime and there was no call for that).

i’d also like to add our 9 points in a half performance against Mississippi State.

When we lost at Cincy on the put back.

When we lost to UL at there place when Butter got pushed and then called for the foul.

Last years tourney loss to X

The loss at Houston

The loss at ECU

Tintin

We had a NCAA tournament loss to Stanford in the 90’s that was difficult to swallow. We imploded in the last couple of minutes.

There was a brutal loss at Cincinnati around 1999 where Diego had made a three with a few seconds to play only to have Kenyon Martin tip in a miss at the buzzer.

The loss to Colorado a few years ago is still painful. We made a great comeback late in the game only to choke it away in the last minute. Demon Brown tried a game winning three when he was triple teamed.

Going back to 1976, we lost in the last minute to Kentucky in the finals of the NIT. We played poorly in the last couple of minutes of that one and were also stung by some dumb luck on the part of the Wildcats.

1 Like

there was the texas tech game where we were being dominated the entire game. then all of sudden out of know where curt goes on fire and we lost the game by 3 or 4.

[QUOTE=Tintin;245817]When we lost at Cincy on the put back.

When we lost to UL at there place when Butter got pushed and then called for the foul.

Last years tourney loss to X

The loss at Houston

The loss at ECU

Tintin[/QUOTE]

Good calls Tintin. Here are two more;

• the loss @ USF in '05
  • letting St.L come back and beat us at their house in the closing min the night after we beat Louisville w/ out Demon.

[QUOTE=dax;245815]i’d also like to add our 9 points in a half performance against Mississippi State.[/QUOTE]
That was brutal. Maybe not such a painful loss, but painful to watch. If you recall, it was “nearly” a 6 point half. I recall Leemire finally hit a three with a little over a minute to go in the first half.

yeah ever since that game i’ve been watching teams hoping they beat our record of fewest points scored in one half.

[QUOTE=austinniner;245783]I don’t disagree with any on any lists so far, but I can’t believe noone has listed the great no-call for Dink vs. Kentucky…[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, the UKIT game in Rape Arena, err Rupp.

[QUOTE=dax;245815]i’d also like to add our 9 points in a half performance against Mississippi State.[/QUOTE]

That was without a doubt the worst college basketball game I have ever sat and watched. WOW was it bad.

• Sunny Belt - 1st round tournament loss. We may have been the number 1 seed and we had a NBA backcourt, Dinkins + Henry Williams.

• Stanford, 1st round NCAA tournament loss. We had a very good offensive team, but Mullins did not realize how good Demarco Johnson was as a freshmen, did not play him enough !, even though Demarco was avg. about 1 pt/minute of playing time. This was probably the biggest mistake in the history of 49er coaching.

• Kentucky ranked #1, and our loss in Rupp Arena. Made famous by the writer Mark Bradley in AJC as top 3 worst referee calls in the history of college basketball.

• NC State loss in 1st round of NCAA’s ,we had a very good team went up by what 20 pts., still not sure what happened in that 2nd half.

• Loss at Lousiville to lose CUSA championship the same year as loss above, that was followed by loss to Memphis and the NCAA tournament loss to NC state. Not sure the program has recovered from those 3 losses yet.