What are your top 5 most painful 49er losses?

[QUOTE=amnesiac;245888]- NC State loss in 1st round of NCAA’s ,we had a very good team went up by what 20 pts., still not sure what happened in that 2nd half.
[/QUOTE]

he put in Iti

That last second loss at Louisville a few years ago, when Cam Stephens made a jumper that was just barely after the buzzer.

I think this one belongs on the list of 5:

NCAA 2ND ROUND OVERTIME LOSS to #1 ranked tarholes in Hartford in '98. A win would have sent us to the Sweet 16. That was also one of those games where the whole world was watching.

But the MOST MEMORABLE has to be the Final 4 loss to Marquette.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=dax;245815]i’d also like to add our 9 points in a half performance against Mississippi State.[/QUOTE]

that’s the first thing that came to mind because, sadly, it was my first niner game. Way to get it goin!

I think i’ve been blind since watching that game! It damaged my orbs.Of course,I also had the pleasure of watching last years Davidson debacle!!

Obviously, you guys have pointed out alot of tough losses, but the ones I remember the most, was losing to Boston University on our own court when Joey Beard bashed on us in a tie game with like half a second left, and Kent also beat us with a last second shot in Hatlon. These were probaby 2 of the first 5-10 losses we took at Halton, before the days of losing 15 games in one year came around. The BU game was horrible, we were really good that year, and we totally took that team for granted, and we were leading the whole game until the last minute or so, maybe until that last shot.

5. Losing to chapel hill in 2OT on their home court.
  1. being up by 15 in the first half against nc state and then losing the game.

2. losing to alabama in 3ot’s and the game last a little of 3 and a half hours.

3. Leemire vs. GW situation

4. Losing to marquette by a last second shot in 77 final four

All of the losses hurt us fans.

Worst, from the standpoint of the size of the stage Niners were on
4) other 2nd round NCAA losses Stanford (shoulda, coulda), Oklahoma (Najera and Jobey foodpoison), and Illinois (men vs boys)
3) NIT to KY, back when NIT meant something
2) Holes and their Arches AA, #1 seed team in 2nd round

1. Marquette in Final 4

Worst from the standpoint of how bad we sucked. If I had my media guide handy this list could go on and on and on…
5) every loss to second class program like Davidson, ASU, ECU, Boston U, St Bonnies after we beat them by a dozen, Brad Boyd and his Rajun Cajuns, Miss State last year, 8 on the ice in St Louis,
4) we lost to an NAIA team, maybe Eckerd in the shaft in the early 80’s under Pratt.
3) any minute Chris Baker was on the court. Boy took the title “point guard” literally, the worst player who got PT in the 28 years I’ve been a fan
2) every game we played under Hal Wissel’s “leadership”

1. Mississippi St 9 pt first half

Worst in terms of how far it set the Niners back, after program’s/teams previous gains. We’ been doing good things either in the season, or for a few years prior, were starting to gain respect either nationally or regionally, and it all went down the toilet with these losses:
4) Western KY in first round of Sunbelt Conf tournament, which we hosted. Had a good team, everyone expected us to make finals if not win. Were hoping for big crowds, lots of local coverage in the beautiful new Charlotte Coliseum (recently imploded). Then we blew chunks in the first round, and nobody paid any attention.
3) Texas Tech, 1st round, Niners played so tight. Someone said Curt brought us back? I was drunk but remember Mitch taking it the length of the court and finishing on 3 straight possessions at the end to make it close. Think we were the higher seed, we had been in the NCAA like 3 out of 4 seasons, getting a little darkhorse press.
2) losing to Wake up there 2 seasons ago when Wake absolutely blew was the final nail in our post CUSA success coffin. Niners were 2nd or 3rd in AC, playing pretty well going into the game, chance to regain respect in the local press and at the local water coolers. Regionally, everyone knew we were wannabe’s after that loss.

1. NCSU in first round after blowing them out in 1st half. Someone said we should have gotten the ball to Curt. I love Curt, but he had maybe 8 turnovers in that game. Taped that game, pisses me off every time I watch it. Some say we didn’t adjust to the way the game was being called. Could lose track of the topic talking about the officiating, but doesn’t change the fact that we lost. The country and region viewed Charlotte as a good program prior to that game. The ACC grads who look down their noses at Charlotte and even the Walmart ACC fans would pucker up at the thought of playing us. Hell, none of them would play us after we scared a couple of loaded Hole teams and drilled NCSU up in their COSIDA classic. Recruits viewed Charlotte as a top 30 (or maybe better) program. 10 years of progress down the toilet in one half of unevenly officiated basketball. And we haven’t recovered yet.

Loss at App State in 97 when we were pre-season Top 25. Knocked us out of ranking.

1. When we went to triple OT with Alabama and lost!

2. It is sad to say that Davidson is even on our lists, but that loss last year hurt.

3. I was so pissed for so long as the GW 05-06 loss. That was some bull5hit! Leemire got fouled by Hall! Totally shoulda won.

4. NCSU loss in our last NCAA tourney appearance. Shoulda won. Totally shoulda won. We are still reeling from this loss.

5. Loss at WF. I drove up all the way to W-S, our fans came together at that one end, we were louder than all their fans, and we were better than that WF team. But their leading fouler ended up with 0 fouls and yadda yadda yadda. It was total BS. I was pissed for so long after that game. For almost the entire ride back I didn’t say a word. And that guy shouting “Junior College! Junior College! You don’t even have a football team!” still pisses me off. I shoulda kicked that smelly old man’s butt.:dry:

a few road games i witnessed in person that didnt turn out well and i didnt see mentioned…
-1995 loss in the metro tourney (and the last) in l’ville. 9ers were #1 seed and lost the first game in the tourney to USM.
-lost to USC at Columbia
-1995 loss at ECU…Jarvis Lang’s homecoming didnt fare to well for the visitors

I wasn’t paying attention to Niners basketball during some of our most notable defeats, but my list of painful losses from my time around here is pretty short:

1. Loss @ UofL with C-USA regular season title on the line in '05

2. Loss @ USF a couple of days later

3. Loss @ Memphis in our first game of the C-USA tournament a few days later

4. Loss to NC State in 1st round of NCAA tournament a few days later

We go from a top 20 team looking for a 4-6 seed with a strong finish to the 8/9 game and getting beat by an NC State team we should have easily handled. I’ve seen a couple of other Niner teams earn an 8 or 9 seed and lose, but that 04-05 team stumbled into the 8 seed and looked like they didn’t even belong in the tournament, by far the most painful experience I’ve had following Charlotte basketball.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;245951]Loss at App State in 97 when we were pre-season Top 25. Knocked us out of ranking.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that the game where 610AM lost their feed? It went into like triple OT didn’t it? I was pissed.

Isn't that the game where 610AM lost their feed? It went into like triple OT didn't it? I was pissed.

No, that was like '02-'03, the former season not to be mentioned.

And that guy shouting "Junior College! Junior College! You don't even have a football team!" still pisses me off. I shoulda kicked that smelly old man's butt.:dry:

I remember that guy. I actually stopped and had a bit of a fun conversation with him. He was an idiot. All he could come up with was Junior College and no Football team. I was like, “well sir, you should be crying right now because your ACC bottom feeder just hit a new low by almost losing to a junior college.” He came back with, “shut up and get a football team.” At the time, their football team was god aweful, so I responded back with, “you get a football team too.” As I laughed, he walked away and started yelling at some of the other Charlotte fans. He wasn’t very good at arguing.

There have been quite a few difficult losses in my 30+ years of following the Niners. If I had to rank them:

1 - the loss to Marquette in the 1977 Final Four

2 - the loss to Kentucky in the 1976 NIT Championship game

3 - the loss to UNC-CH in the 1998 NCAA tourney

4 - the loss to South Alabama in the 1978 Sun Belt tourney

5 - the 2004 Homecoming loss to UAB in spite of 26 points/11 rebounds from Withers

Dishonorable mentions include losses to Alabama in Halton, Boston U. in Halton, ECU in Greenville, GW in Halton, Indiana in Halton and Bloomington, Kentucky at Rupp Arena, Mississippi State in Halton, NC State in the Big Dance, at Richmond, Saint Louis (take your pick!), the USCs (South Carolina and Southern Cal in the now-defunct Diet Pepsi/Harris Teeter tourney), etc.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][I]I refuse to make a list because of the fantastically unforgiving thoughts that enter my brain when I think of such horrifying instances reminiscent of us losing big games. I’m going to go drink away my anxiety that this non-gratifying thread has bestowed upon me. Whose with me?[/I][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][I]I refuse to make a list because of the fantastically unforgiving thoughts that enter my brain when I think of such horrifying instances reminiscent of us losing big games. I'm going to go drink away my anxiety that this non-gratifying thread has bestowed upon me. Whose with me?[/I][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

I hear that! :drink:

I remember that guy. I actually stopped and had a bit of a fun conversation with him. He was an idiot. All he could come up with was Junior College and no Football team. I was like, "well sir, you should be crying right now because your ACC bottom feeder just hit a new low by almost losing to a junior college." He came back with, "shut up and get a football team." At the time, their football team was god aweful, so I responded back with, "you get a football team too." As I laughed, he walked away and started yelling at some of the other Charlotte fans. He wasn't very good at arguing.
Wow thats pretty crazy that you saw the same guy. Are sure it was the same one? Was he an old dude with a hat on?
Wow thats pretty crazy that you saw the same guy. Are sure it was the same one? Was he an old dude with a hat on?

Yeah, he was standing like by the exit yelling at all of our crowd as we were all walking out. Grumpy lookin old guy. Unless it was a different guy yelling the same thing. My friend Ryan remembers him too, cause he was laughing at him.

1. 3/7/07 vs. Dayton
  2. 3/1/07 vs. GW
  3. 2/24/07 @ Temple
  4. 2/17/07 @ URI
  5. 2/3/07 @ Xavier

Every Niners loss is painful.

Therefore, I guess I’ll have to say that the last 5 losses by the men’s basketball team are the most painful.

If (and only if) they happen to lose another game, sometime in the future, I reserve the right to update my top 5 list.