What Chapel Hill hardcores think about you

Some excerpts (and a wide variety of opinion) from a Tar Heel board on Charlotte and football:

---- "UNCC is for all intents and purposes a commuter school. It has a large student body, but does not have a reputation for a large amount of alumni giving. They are not going to get in a major conference and will not get huge TV money. They are going to have to go out and raise it. And they will have to raise a lot more than just to fund a football program. Adding football causes a huge Title IX issue. They will have to add 2 or 3 women’s sports and pay for them too.

So let’s say you can raise the seed money. You still have to drastically increase annual giving to make it all work. Here is teh rub. You have a school in the state’s largets city that is growing like a weed. Still, basically anybody that wants to apply can get in. Administrators and Educators have to make a decison. Ther eis only so much money to go around. So do you want to remain a glorified community college with a football team or do you want to use these funds to enhance the academic reputation of your University so you can increase its selectivity? Which better serves yoru student body and community?

Bottom line is that the only way football at UNCC happens is if one or two enormous benfactors step up and fund teh whole thing start to finish. "

---- "some of the players in Charlotte have decided they want it. Therefore, I suspect it will happen. The leaders of Charlotte decided they wanted the NBA and were told it was not feasible. Then the NFL. Then a top of the tour golf tournament. The list goes on. Apparently, they have now decided they want a college football team. UNCC is the benefactor.

Money is always an issue, but will be addressed, imo. Friday and the like are respected, but irrelevant."

----- "Regardless of Spangler and Friday’s feelings, football at Charlotte is going to happen! One can always find reasons to give why something will not work. However, Charlotte is committed on making football happen!

---- "I have seen the feasibility studies and I have to say the economics just do not add up. Of course, it has been done before. UAB and USF have had success in smaller markets than Charlotte. They are still not self sustaining economically however. Also, they have much larger talent pools from which to draw. "

---- "The PTBs at UNCC would be wise to shelf this for a couple years. Old Dominion is starting up their program and will play their first games in 2009. Thsi will be a litmus test for the region. I know Charlotte is a larger area, but it also has more competition for fans. It will be interesting to track how this works.

---- "Not surprised to hear this from Friday again. UNCC should do what is in its best interests as they see it; not how Friday and Spangler see it.

---- "Actually I think Charlotte could draw a talented group of athletes if they handle the situation properly. With less restrictive enrolment requirements they could attract some of the very gifted athletes that cannot get in to some of the other schools. Just look how long it has taken University of South Florida to be a viable and feared football team. This is basically due to their ability to admit athletes that had trouble being admitted to some of the other high profile schools. Charlotte is a great city to live and in a four state area could draw from a very talented pool of players.

---- We already have this option in NC. It is called ECU.

---- "UNCC should have a football program IMO, and UNCC alone should decide the issue. It is a large university with a good basketball program in need of football. Its on campus population is growing rapidly. The city of Charlotte most likely would embrace the program. Competition for recruits will make recruitment tougher but that’s life. Why not allow the university to seek its own destiny?

---- "I could completely wrong, but I think there is a significant obstacle for UNCC to have D-1 type attendance figures. As Charlotte ha sgrown, people from all over teh region have moved in. There are a ton of folks in Charlotte that drive to Columbia, Athens, Clemson, Chapel Hill, Winston, Durham, Greenville, Blacksburg, Knoxville, and Charlottesville each weekend. I doubt UNCC having a football team would change that. I understand that there are people who did not go to college who might jump on the bangwagon. However, studies show that these people tend to be pro sports fans. And the dollar only goes so far. Finally, you have the Yankees that have moved down with the banks. It would scare the heck out of me to have to count on these people for anything. No doubt they could make 1-AA work and get 20K or so per game. But as far as big time 1-A football goes, I just don’t see it.

---- "Attendance is one thing, but money won’t be a problem. The power brokers want college football in Charlotte, and they want 1-A football. I have heard they may start out 1-AA, but plan to go 1-A very quickly. They also want major conference alliance - I suspect Big East, but who knows. This push is about what Charlotte the city has to offer, not about a university, so the typical issues will be overcome differently, I believe.

---- "The point Spranger and Friday tried to make was not at all compelling. Their reason for Charlotte not having football is that more focus needs to be on academics. Big time sports has diminished the quality of higher education. When one of the faculty members asked Spangler why he was not beating the drum for UNC, State, and ECU to scale back its emphasis on major college sports Spangler’s replied, “do you know what happens when you stand in front of a locomotive? You get run over.” He proceeded to state that he was strongly urging Charlotte not to consider football because they do not have a locomotive. My understanding is those who were in attendance, were most unimpressed with the argument Friday and Spangler attempted to make. Some were even resentful.

---- "It is ironic that the largest city in the state and largest between Atlanta and Baltimore only has JCSU representing them on Saturdays. It will happen.

---- "But don’t think it would take Charlotte several decades of being in 1-AA before they could make they jump to D-1. Think it would take about 10 years assuming they can build a winner in D-1AA in that time frame. (And I think they can.) The Big East just might like to have a punching bag in Charlotte if that was the only way for them get them up to 12 teams so they can get a championship game and a BIGGER TV contract.

---- "The only way they become a recruiting threat is if somehow they end up in a BCS conference like the Big East as I posted earlier; that is a long shot at best.

— "Dook’s rise in academics with student applications has risen with Coach K’s time at Dook. Of course, TV exposure worldwide from sports is evil according to the Mayberry crowd.

---- "Didn’t you get the memo? Basketball is different. The same rules don’t apply with the Mayberry crowd because Football is somehow a dirty sport.

---- "If Carolina hasn’t been able to win at football with a $50 millions athletic budget, top facilities, and solid fan support, UNCC has no chance. UNCC is basketball schools, that draws little interest in the Charlotte market and have below average fan support. UNC, dook and NCSU are the basketball powers in the Charlotte market. As for football, Charlotte is a Clemson, USC, UNC, VT, NCSU and ASU town. UNCC will not draw any interest from the local community outside of their alumni base, which are not interest in college sports.

---- "I admire Friday for all the good he has done over the years. The UNC system as it exists today would not be a reality without the guiding hand of Bill Friday. But that doesn’t mean I have to agree with him when he is wrong.

---- "I could completely wrong, but I think there is a significant obstacle for UNCC to have D-1 type attendance figures. As Charlotte ha sgrown, people from all over teh region have moved in. There are a ton of folks in Charlotte that drive to Columbia, Athens, Clemson, Chapel Hill, Winston, Durham, Greenville, Blacksburg, Knoxville, and Charlottesville each weekend. I doubt UNCC having a football team would change that. I understand that there are people who did not go to college who might jump on the bangwagon. However, studies show that these people tend to be pro sports fans. And the dollar only goes so far. Finally, you have the Yankees that have moved down with the banks. It would scare the heck out of me to have to count on these people for anything. No doubt they could make 1-AA work and get 20K or so per game. But as far as big time 1-A football goes, I just don't see it.

I grew up in the triangle area near Raleigh and where I lived not that many people were actually graduates of UNC, NC State or Duke, and most of them followed there alma matter, just they had to move. The area around those schools are just like charlotte with the yankees as he so puts it. Just because your from the north or did not go to that school does not meen you can’t enjoy going to the football games for the atmosphere and with friends. Because of where I lived I have been to a UNC, NC State and Duke game, doesnt say that I like any of those schools, just that it was something to do on a saturday.

---- "The point Spranger and Friday tried to make was not at all compelling. Their reason for Charlotte not having football is that more focus needs to be on academics. Big time sports has diminished the quality of higher education. When one of the faculty members asked Spangler why he was not beating the drum for UNC, State, and ECU to scale back its emphasis on major college sports Spangler's replied, "do you know what happens when you stand in front of a locomotive? You get run over." He proceeded to state that he was strongly urging Charlotte not to consider football because they do not have a locomotive. My understanding is those who were in attendance, were most unimpressed with the argument Friday and Spangler attempted to make. Some were even resentful.

If they said the same things about their school, I hope they would be resentful too.

---- "If Carolina hasn't been able to win at football with a $50 millions athletic budget, top facilities, and solid fan support, UNCC has no chance. UNCC is basketball schools, that draws little interest in the Charlotte market and have below average fan support. UNC, dook and NCSU are the basketball powers in the Charlotte market. As for football, Charlotte is a Clemson, USC, UNC, VT, NCSU and ASU town. UNCC will not draw any interest from the local community outside of their alumni base, which are not interest in college sports.

Just because UNC sucks at football doesn’t have anything to do with UNCC and it has nothing to do with whether or not we will be bad either.

So Mike, do you think UNC-CH feels threatened?

Who really cares about what the blue fairies think. :tongue:

Much more positive than expected.

There are a number of statements that are generalizations about our University that bother me though.

There was way too many references of UNCC for me to sit down and read those quotes… those Tarholes know we go by Charlotte yet?

Some of those comments were better than others, but the bottom line is this:

Who gives a sh!t about what UNC-CH jerk offs think about anything? I know that I don’t.

on a related note, i just got back from Concord Mills where it was apparently the 7th annual Wal-Mart Tarheel Fan Appreciation Weekend. There was even a booth selling the Charlotte Observer.

Thanks Mike, but I really don’t care much about their opinions on football. These comments speak louder about our image and the need for the branding study than about football.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;298803]So Mike, do you think UNC-CH feels threatened?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so, no.

I don't think so, no.

I don’t think any UNC CH fan feels threatened by Charlotte.

I do think the sr level UNC adminstration types know that in 15 years we may have 35,000 students and a D1 football team, that is what they don’t want to see.

[QUOTE=metro;298820]I don’t think any UNC CH fan feels threatened by Charlotte.

I do think the sr level UNC adminstration types know that in 15 years we may have 35,000 students and a D1 football team, that is what they don’t want to see.[/QUOTE]

…and we might also lose the “UNC” in front of Charlotte as well. :49ers:

For those who don’t care what they think, it’s pretty simple: don’t open the thread. It’s not like I didn’t label it truthfully. I thought some might be interested, and indeed some are. If you’re not, nobody made you click.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;298824]For those who don’t care what they think, it’s pretty simple: don’t open the thread. It’s not like I didn’t label it truthfully. I thought some might be interested, and indeed some are. If you’re not, nobody made you click.[/QUOTE]

This is our house. And, last I checked you’re an "outsider"and do not own this board. It’s a very funny comment when you’re just visiting, wouldn’t you think? If our comments are not to your liking just simply leave.

[QUOTE=Niner89;298826]This is our house. And, last I checked you’re an "outsider"and do not own this board. It’s a very funny comment when you’re just visiting wouldn’t you think? If our comments are not to your liking just simply leave.[/QUOTE]

Mike, thanks for a legitimate thread that is informative!

I think the run of the mill Tarhole fan could care less about us and we’re the better for it. My BroLaw (retarded Tarhole fan) likes the idea of FBS football nearby. People who know all about Charlotte and what we already are, like Mike P, wonder why we don’t have football already, while people who know nothing of us can’t believe we’re in any position to have an sports at all.

Now those who run the UNC System and its "flagship"do know what we are and do know what we are capable of. Not a big fan of anyone who worked for Clinton but we are lucky Bowles is in there now. Think Friday and Spangler showed us that having someone who has already said he wasn’t going to stand in the way of our train is a big +. The old boys who are in the know do know that fighting this would be a loser for them so they offer only token resistance. The real fight will come when we push for the Medical school, hope Mary Schulken will be on our side for that one!

[QUOTE=NinerNirvana;298828]Mike, thanks for a legitimate thread that is informative![/QUOTE]

Use your own words to apologize. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Niner89;298830]Use your own words to apologize. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

89, I was not apologizing.

My question is: When are they going to start playing football in Chapel Hill?

[QUOTE=NinerNirvana;298831]89, I was not apologizing.[/QUOTE]

Sure as hell could’ve fooled me.:tongue: