What do we want to happen now??

I was looking at the C-USA Standings and bracket for the Tourney trying to figure out who we want to win/ lose this weekend. There is a cluster of teams from 4-8 that could all be switched up after Saturday. If we are the 2 seed in the Tourney we play the winner of 7/10. I do not want to see Memphis in our first game playing on their home court. They host Cincy Saturday.

Here are 4-8 as of now:

4 Depaul 10-5 vs Louisville
5 UAB 9-6 vs Houston
6 Houston 9-6 vs UAB
7 Memphis 9-6 vs Cincy
8 TCU 8-7 @ S Miss

Do I root for Memhis to beat Cincy to get either the 5 or 6 seed? The 5 seed puts them in the other bracket with Louisville. The 6 seed puts them up against Cincy. What does everyone else think?

At the risk of sounding “scared” (in the arrogant eyes of Memphis fans), I honestly want NO part of them that early in the tournament. It’s their homecourt, they know they have to win it all to punch their dance card and I think they’re better than what their seed will indicate.

I’d just rather not face them in our very first game because that would be a tough way to start out. Should be a good tournament…probably about 5 teams that could easily win this thing.

Who would be scared to play Memphis in the CUSA tourney? Here are their stats.

Memphis is 4-9 in the CUSA tourney all time.

1. They were the 2 seed and won their 1st game over 10 seed DePaul, then lost to 3 seed Marquette.

2. They were the 4 seed and lost to 5 seed Marquette.

3. They were the 3 seed and lost to 6 seed S. Miss.

4. They were the 8 seed and lost to 9 seed S. Florida.

5. They were the 11 seed and beat 6 seed S. Flordia, then lost to 3 seed DePaul.

6. They were the 4 seed and lost to 5 seed Marquette.

7. They were the 3 seed and lost to 6 seed Houston.

8. They were the 2 seed and beat 10 seed S. Florida, then lost to 3 seed Louisville.

9. They were the 2 seed and lost to 7 seed St. Louis.

They have the 11th best tournament winning % (.308) just ahead of Houston (3-7), Tulane (3-9), and ECU (0-2)

We on the other hand are 15-7 all time with the 2nd best win % (.682) behind Cincy (16-5, %.762).

I know a few of those were in Memphis. I look at that as a gimme.

Nice research!! That makes me feel better about playing Memphis on their home court, but I just have a bad feeling about it.

That’s still a tough road to win it. We would more than likely have to beat Memphis on their home court, Cincy, and Louisville in a 3 day span. This championship would be well deserved with this road!!!

[i]Originally posted by 199er9[/i]@Mar 4 2005, 09:49 AM [b] I know a few of those were in Memphis. I look at that as a gimme. [/b]
There are no such things as "gimmes" in this tournament. Nice optimism but most people here would rather not have to face a dangerous Memphis team in our opening game. Not saying we can't win that game but I'd prefer an easier way to kick off our run.

Your all assuming memphis wins their first game… the way they’ve been playing I wouldn’t bank on it. (no pun intended)

[i]Originally posted by EE9er[/i]@Mar 4 2005, 10:56 AM [b] Your all assuming memphis wins their first game..... the way they've been playing I wouldn't bank on it. (no pun intended) [/b]
That what I was thinking. Considering their stellar tourney history, IF they win 1 game they have always lost the next one.

With that said they are a very athletic team and I would prefer to see Marqutte or Houston since it is at the Pyramid.