What happened after '77?

What happened to us after the 1977 Final Four season? How do we go from being one of the best teams in the country to nothing? We didn’t win the conference again until 1988. I know we lost a lot of the '77 team to graduation/NBA, but I would imagine that a Final Four on your resume would make it easier to recruit.

That’s a solid question.

[QUOTE=charlottefan;391964]What happened to us after the 1977 Final Four season? [/QUOTE]

I turned 3 years old.

Seriously, though, we lost the coach that [B]recruited[/B] the Final 4 team after 1975. Then we lost the coach that guided the team to the Final 4 after 1978. That’s the basics. It was downhill until Mullins showed up.

Our coach left. Replaced by guys whou couldnt recruit or coach.

That 77 effort was the work of two coaches anyway. One got us the talent, the other coached them to the Final Four.

1978, after that it was 1979.

I turned 3 years old.
I was a bird for 7 years i guess...

[QUOTE=cibik02;391978]I was a bird for 7 years i guess…[/QUOTE]

I was a badger…we were born the same year

Bill Foster recruited practically the entire team we had in 1977, but he left to coach Clemson after the 1975 season. Lee Rose came in from Transylvania College in Kentucky, and brought Mike Pratt as his head Assistant Coach. Pratt was an All American at UK several years before that, and may have played briefly in the NBA.

Rose did a good job coaching the team, taking us to the NIT final in '76 (the NIT was a bigger deal then, since the NCAA Tournament only had a field of 32 teams), and then the great run to the Final Four in '77.

The only problem Rose had was recruiting. He didn’t sign much talent here, and after the '77 season he was signed to coach Purdue, who had Joe Barry Carroll on their roster. He had success there, too, but only until JBC graduated. Again, he hadn’t recruited much for the future, so he moved on to South Florida, and ultimately became a scout for several NBA teams.

When Rose left, we signed Pratt to the Head Coach position, but he wasn’t the same caliber coach as Rose, and also didn’t recruit well. After several mediocre seasons, he left, and was replaced by Hal Wissell. Bad move. The team went downhill fast, until we fired Wissell and recruited Jeff Mullins to his first coaching job.

Mullins raised the level of talent and play, assisted by Melvin Watkins. When he retired after 10 years, Watkins was selected after a nationwide search, and he hired Bobby Lutz as an Assistant. When we nearly beat UNC-CH in the NCAA tournament a few years into Watkins’ tenure, he took advantage of the national attention, and accepted the job at Texas A&M. Lutz stayed as head coach, where he has been since then.

We competed very well in Conference USA, contending for the title most years, but had limited success in the NCAA Tournament. When the BCS conference realignment happened, we were left behind by the Big East, and joined the A-10. The spotlight is not as bright since then, and we have suffered through a few forgettable seasons, BUT I have my rose-colored glasses on for next season.

Bill Foster recruited practically the entire team we had in 1977, but he left to coach Clemson after the 1975 season. Lee Rose came in from Transylvania College in Kentucky, and brought Mike Pratt as his head Assistant Coach. Pratt was an All American at UK several years before that, and may have played briefly in the NBA.

Rose did a good job coaching the team, taking us to the NIT final in '76 (the NIT was a bigger deal then, since the NCAA Tournament only had a field of 32 teams), and then the great run to the Final Four in '77.

The only problem Rose had was recruiting. He didn’t sign much talent here, and after the '77 season he was signed to coach Purdue, who had Joe Barry Carroll on their roster. He had success there, too, but only until JBC graduated. Again, he hadn’t recruited much for the future, so he moved on to South Florida, and ultimately became a scout for several NBA teams.

When Rose left, we signed Pratt to the Head Coach position, but he wasn’t the same caliber coach as Rose, and also didn’t recruit well. After several mediocre seasons, he left, and was replaced by Hal Wissell. Bad move. The team went downhill fast, until we fired Wissell and recruited Jeff Mullins to his first coaching job.

Mullins raised the level of talent and play, assisted by Melvin Watkins. When he retired after 10 years, Watkins was selected after a nationwide search, and he hired Bobby Lutz as an Assistant. When we nearly beat UNC-CH in the NCAA tournament a few years into Watkins’ tenure, he took advantage of the national attention, and accepted the job at Texas A&M. Lutz stayed as head coach, where he has been since then.

We competed very well in Conference USA, contending for the title most years, but had limited success in the NCAA Tournament. When the BCS conference realignment happened, we were left behind by the Big East, and joined the A-10. The spotlight is not as bright since then, and we have suffered through a few forgettable seasons, BUT I have my rose-colored glasses on for next season.

Could not have said it better myself, only thng to add is in 77 the year Rose left, we lost a heratbreaker of a game to South Alabama, something like 22-20. It kept us out of the ncaa’s and the NIT.

Another major issue was Athletic Director, Clyde Walker, counting the years until he retired with a NC state employee pension…he didn’t like Pratt even though he had a local following… Bringing in Wissell looked good on paper but he was beyond aweful…together he was terminated with Walker and Mullins, the former Duke AllAmerican was brought in to be both head coach and AD.

[QUOTE=77grad;392022]Bill Foster recruited practically the entire team we had in 1977, but he left to coach Clemson after the 1975 season. Lee Rose came in from Transylvania College in Kentucky, and brought Mike Pratt as his head Assistant Coach. Pratt was an All American at UK several years before that, and may have played briefly in the NBA.

We competed very well in Conference USA, contending for the title most years, but had limited success in the NCAA Tournament. When the BCS conference realignment happened, we were left behind by the Big East, and joined the A-10. The spotlight is not as bright since then, and we have suffered through a few forgettable seasons, BUT I have my rose-colored glasses on for next season.[/QUOTE]

Good summary.

[QUOTE=77grad;392022]Bill Foster recruited practically the entire team we had in 1977, but he left to coach Clemson after the 1975 season. Lee Rose came in from Transylvania College in Kentucky, and brought Mike Pratt as his head Assistant Coach. Pratt was an All American at UK several years before that, and may have played briefly in the NBA.

[B][I]Now because the Woodward Administration was so short sighted and didn’t listen to those who knew better, we are playing football catchup. Hopefully once we establish the football team and move up to FBS we will attract the attention of a decent conference and that will spill over into better recruits, coaches and talent for all our sports.[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Fixed:biggrin:

[QUOTE=77grad;392022]Mullins raised the level of talent and play, assisted by Melvin Watkins. When he retired after 10 years, Watkins was selected after a nationwide search, and he hired Bobby Lutz as an Assistant.
.[/QUOTE]

Lutz was hired by Mullins an was asst. in '95, wasn’t he?

[QUOTE=gamer;392063]Lutz was hired by Mullins an was asst. in '95, wasn’t he?[/QUOTE]

Yep. That’s correct. Just checked the media guide.

Yep. That's correct. Just checked the media guide.

Also, without checking—I think Lee Rose left after the '78 season (not after '77).

What happened to us after the 1977 Final Four season? How do we go from being one of the best teams in the country to nothing? We didn't win the conference again until 1988. I know we lost a lot of the '77 team to graduation/NBA, but I would imagine that a Final Four on your resume would make it easier to recruit.

La Salle went to the Final Four in '54, and won.

[QUOTE=919R;392267]Also, without checking—I think Lee Rose left after the '78 season (not after '77).[/QUOTE]

You are correct, as was mentioned above, by me. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=X-49er;391973]
Seriously, though, we lost the coach that [B]recruited[/B] the Final 4 team after 1975. Then we lost the coach that guided the team to the Final 4 after 1978. That’s the basics. It was downhill until Mullins showed up.[/QUOTE]

Realignments always seem to hurt someone. Doesn’t seem like it affected Memphis much, they took the opportunity by the reins and are beating the hell out of under classed talent.

We really have fallen majorly from grace. You know, I would take year after year of being bounced in the NCAA 1st round than year of making a run and then sucking the next (or just being mediocre year after year). I enjoyed my college years (01-06)

[QUOTE=77grad;392022]When Rose left, we signed [B]assistant coach[/B] Pratt [B]who had only been in coaching for 3 years[/B] to the Head Coach position, but he wasn’t the same caliber coach as Rose, and also didn’t recruit well. After several [COLOR=Red][B]mediocre[/B][/COLOR] seasons, he left, and was replaced by Hal Wissell. Bad move. The team went downhill fast, until we fired Wissell and recruited Jeff Mullins to his first coaching job.[/QUOTE]
fixed

Is [B][COLOR=Red]mediorce[/COLOR][/B] 4 years of 56-52 with a 10-17 record one year due to Bobby Potts being red-shirted with to a broken nose. I attended every practice and game those first three years. Average yes, mediocre… hardly.

What happened after 2005?