What is Your Opinion on What Our Initial Focus Should Be Regarding Football?

The administration seems to be sticking to their opinion that we HAVE to have D1 football as soon as we can get it. My opinion and several of the other posters here are different. I just wanted to see where Niner Nation stands.

A couple of boosters I talked to during basketball season said they wanted no part of I-AA. I could care less about going to the New Orleans Bowl, GMAC Bowl, or any of the other worthless and meaningless bowl games. The people I talked to were gung-ho and ready to travel to a bowl game no matter where it was, essentially looking at it like a vacation. I would be much more excited about going somewhere to a playoff game (I-AA or future Division I) instead of a bowl game. That’s beside the point. The point is to see where everyone’s interest lies in where you want to see Charlotte football playing, and if you would support an I-AA program for a long period of time if need be so that we at least have a team on the field. I realize that we will be playing I-AA for 3 years, but this is aimed more at what the program’s initial goal will be versus the requirements set forth by the NCAA. So, cast your vote.

You should really shoot for D-IAA FCS first. That way you wont be bound to attendance rules set by the NCAA. This will also give you time to build up the program. There are many FCS teams playing FBS teams so you can still get the competition and exposure that the program needs.

The move to FBS should take 5-10 years. By this time, you’ll be able to have the loyal fan base and be able to raise the funds needed to maintain a program. Also, it’ll give you time to find a conference to move into since the a-10 doesn’t sponsor football.

You should really shoot for D-IAA FCS first. That way you wont be bound to attendance rules set by the NCAA. This will also give you time to build up the program. There are many FCS teams playing FBS teams so you can still get the competition and exposure that the program needs.

The move to FBS should take 5-10 years. By this time, you’ll be able to have the loyal fan base and be able to raise the funds needed to maintain a program. Also, it’ll give you time to find a conference to move into since the a-10 doesn’t sponsor football.

the FCS timeframe is mandatory, for at least 4 years. our current football feasibility committee established a guideline in their recommendation that we move to FBS in the first season we are allowed to do so per the NCAA rules.

you can read our Committee’s report here: [URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/ot/ncch-footbl-feasibility.html][COLOR=darkgreen]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/ot/ncch-footbl-feasibility.html[/COLOR][/URL]

FBS is the only way we can turn a profit. Just read Dubois’s study if you don’t believe me. We would have average costs and profits in a non-BCS FBS conference, but would lead all schools in expenses in every FCS conference examined.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;323272]FBS is the only way we can turn a profit. Just read Dubois’s study if you don’t believe me. We would have average costs and profits in a non-BCS FBS conference, but would lead all schools in expenses in every FCS conference examined.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like some benefitting number crunching to me. App, the defending 3-time National Champion, has a football budget of around $2 million according to the numbers that were posted here last fall. That’s their operating budget, which does not include facilities and Title IX requirements. I know their success probably led them to profits the last two years, but we CAN make a profit playing I-AA. How would our budget be much more than theirs? I know we have to add women’s sports and build/re-vamp a stadium, but does App not have to field women’s teams to offset football too? Are they not making a huge stadium renovation now with student fees? How, exactly, are we going to turn a profit playing in a sucky D1 conference until another BCS shakeup happens?