What is your starting 5 for Team USA?

if you were making the lineup, what would you do?

i would go with:

pg - Chris Paul - best pg in college bball
sg - Justin Gray - didnt we recruit him?
sf - Hassan Adams - incredible dunker
pf - Curtis Withers - representing Charlotte well, cant wait till he drops double doubles on every team they face
c - Eric Williams if he is healthy, the dude is a beast. If he is unhealthy I might Go with Villanueva, for 6’11, he is very quick athletic as hell

That seems like a pretty likely starting 5, at least thats what i would do

That’s a basically all North Carolina starting lineup. Curtis from Charlotte, J Gray from Charlotte, CP3 from Lewisville, and Eric Williams from Wake Forest, North Carolina.

You have to get Wright (indiana) in there he can shoot and Villenova (sp?), not sure what position he plays. Also, Coach Sampson will probably have a number of different guys starting throughout, typically the guys who play the hardest.

He likes rebounding and defense, so I would bet Withers will get to play plenty, maybe even at center, it seems they are only keeping one true center.

[b]c - Eric Williams if he is healthy, the dude is a beast. If he is unhealthy I might Go with Villanueva, for 6'11, he is very quick athletic as hell[/b]

What???!!! Have you actually seen this guy play? Aside from being as big as a beast, he plays nothing like a beast. Towards the end of the season his minutes were being eaten up by guys like Danelius and Visser. Withers is 10 times the player this guy is. And I’m serious.

I’d go with:
Paul
Wright
Adams
May
Williams

[b]That's a basically all North Carolina starting lineup. Curtis from Charlotte, J Gray from Charlotte, CP3 from Lewisville, and Eric Williams from Wake Forest, North Carolina.[/b]

Also, Sampson is from Pembroke.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 01:05 PM [b] I'd go with: Paul Wright Adams May Williams [/b]
you just said you would start May over Withers

I would, I think they will need the size and I think May is a better POWER forward than Curtis. Curtis will be a 3 in the pros. Had a tough time not starting Curtis at 3 but Adams is an amazing athlete. Against the Brazillians I might start:
Paul
Adams
Withers
May
Williams

I think May will benefit tremedously not having to play center like he is forced to at Carolina. May is a fantastic outside shooter which he never gets to do at Carolina. I know everyone one is hyped about Curtis and I am as well but he is not a first team all american all the sudden.
Now lets hear about how fat May is(which he is not). And how much he sucks(which he doesn’t). Let the bashing begin.

Oh and by the way, when he isn’t in foul trouble Eric Williams is the most dominate inside presence in college basketball.(now that Okofer is a Bobcat)

Didn’t they pretty much sum up that Curtis schooled and overpowered May? Therefore, I think he should get the start.

Paul
Grey
Adams
Withers
Williams

Charlotte49ers.com: Quote from Sampson on team make-up

“I think we’ll have a good team,” said USA and University of Oklahoma head coach Kelvin Sampson. “Our emphasis has been on kids sacrificing and being a part of something that’s bigger than themselves. With the kids that we have, they’ve worked hard from day one and bought into what we’ve asked them to do. We have a little bit of everything. With Chris Paul and Mustafa Shakur we have some versatility at the point guard. With Bracey Wright and Hassan Adams, Justin Gray and Shannon Brown we have some versatility at our wings and shooting guard positions. We’re strong up front with Charlie (Villanueva), Sean (May), Curtis (Withers), and P.J. Tucker, David Padgett and Adam Morrison will give us energy off the bench. With one more cut, a lot will depend on Eric Williams and his health. I like where our team is right now and that’s why these next three or four days are going to be very important.”

I think this sums it up pretty well. Sampson put Withers with Villanueva and May as his top big men.

And for JimmyACC, May is fat. Have you seen the Team USA team photo? Run, can you help me with that? May looks like Tractor Trailer. I give him credit, though. He is one gifted fat man.

JimmyACC… I like it. Keep’m coming

Jimmy Hat you need to go look at some numbers before you spout that ACC players are always better crap.

Curtis averaged nearly double the rebounds of Williams and averaged more points than both him and May. He shot over 30% from 3 point range this year vs. May’s 0%. Get some facts to back up your arguments. Even Sampson has said that Withers is one of his best big men. Out of curiousity how often did you go to Niners’ games last year? I don’t want to assume that you didn’t but based on your analysis I would have to say you’ve been listening to too much Dick Vitale and Digger Phelps.

I missed 2 home games this year. I know Curtis is one of the best shooter ever.
I don’t think I ever said Curtis wasn’t good, But you seem ready to move him to the top of the lottery next year.

Here’s the photo (May on back row, 2nd from right):

Yep, he’s fat alright… :lol:

May is not fat…he’s big boned :smiley:

Found another pic of “May” (courtesy of the Dookies)…

:biglaugh:

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 02:43 PM [b] JimmyACC.. I like it. Keep'm coming [/b]
You're the guy from the old board...that always defended the ACC, right? What was that guys name?

Still not understanding the Williams hype. Can someone help me out here?? He averaged 12 and 5 and it’s not like there were other big bodies on the team to take boards from him. WFU started three guys under 6’2"???

[b]I would, I think they will need the size and I think May is a better POWER forward than Curtis. Curtis will be a 3 in the pros.[/b]

Withers has a better shot at playing the 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 than May in the NBA.

[b]You're the guy from the old board...that always defended the ACC, right? What was that guys name?[/b]

That would be jmhouston. One of my favorites.

[b]Withers has a better shot at playing the 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 than May in the NBA. NinerLoudNProud[/b]

Ok …Then what is the bet that May is drafted ahead of Withers??
A beer at Picassos?

That is an awesome picture Run.