What the h*** is Withers problem???

This morning’s Observer says Curtis Withers is suspended for tonights game. He violated a team rule.

3rd time in a year he get suspended for a game.

It appears that he has a “10 cent head” to go with his “million dollar skills”.

I’m sure some of you may defend him, but this is not a good sign for the season.

GROW THE F*** UP CURTIS!!

The word “Charlotte” appears on an SI cover and the school gets bad luck. Can’t imagine what would happen if the Niners ever got their own cover. :frowning: :frowning:

I read that also…trying to find a bright spot in this announcement. At least we’re not playing someone like Alabama? Regardless, his absence sets the tone for the whole team on what is acceptable this year - though there should have been no question to begin with.

While I think it’s downright silly this is the 2nd or 3rd year in a row this has happened (and I have no idea what he could possibly be thinking), I would much rather it be tonight’s game than later in the season.

Besides, now we get the chance to see how well we can really play when a key guy is out.

Before some of you fly off the handle today, just don’t jump to too many conclusions. It’s a, in my opinion, minor incident and not worth having a huge war over today. Nothing wrong with discussing the situation but it doesn’t involve any type of criminal activity/charge so please put that specualtion to rest.

There are a couple people here that can provide further info, if they choose to do so.

Big game tonight and the postitive is that Drayton will get some quality playing time against LBS, who we should be able to handle pretty easily.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 07:44 AM [b] Before some of you fly off the handle today, just don't jump to too many conclusions. It's a, in my opinion, minor incident and not worth having a huge war over today. Nothing wrong with discussing the situation but it doesn't involve any type of criminal activity/charge so please put that specualtion to rest.

There are a couple people here that can provide further info, if they choose to do so.

Big game tonight and the postitive is that Drayton will get some quality playing time against LBS, who we should be able to handle pretty easily. [/b]

ANYTIME a player does something, ANYTHING, to get suspended for a game it IS a big deal. I want to go off on a HELLACIOUS rant here, but won’t. Just how hard is it to do the right thing? PLEEEEZE!! I don’t think the Wooden Award folks are gonna look kindly on this. :angry:

Sure it’s a big deal to have a player suspended. Especially when it’s your best player. But my point was just to not crucify the kid by assuming the worst. With his prior incidents, it would be easy to do that and it’s simply not the case this time.

But feel free to rant. I’m very disappointed that he’s not in the lineup tonight and he should be but made a silly mistake. We’ll get through it and he’ll be back for Rutgers.

I love Curtis, but I thought he had done a lot of growing up over the offseason. He cost us a crucial game (GW) last year when we went through this. Hard to be a team leader when you’re suspended for the season opener. Again. Oh well. At least Lutz has the guts to rein his star player in. Though he shouldnt have to.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 07:44 AM [b] Before some of you fly off the handle today, just don't jump to too many conclusions. It's a, in my opinion, minor incident and not worth having a huge war over today. Nothing wrong with discussing the situation but it doesn't involve any type of criminal activity/charge so please put that specualtion to rest.

Big game tonight and the postitive is that Drayton will get some quality playing time against LBS, who we should be able to handle pretty easily. [/b]

No offense. That is total garbage.

ANYTHING he does to take him out of the lineup is flat our inexcusable. Once is an incident, three times is a trend. I assumed some of the internal spin control group would have “inside information” that we don’t know. What ever it is, it won’t make it acceptable in my book.

It appears Curtis has learned nothing from his past errors in judgement. That is the sad part.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 08:23 AM [b] No offense. That is total garbage.

ANYTHING he does to take him out of the lineup is flat our inexcusable. Once is an incident, three times is a trend. I assumed some of the internal spin control group would have “inside information” that we don’t know. What ever it is, it won’t make it acceptable in my book.

It appears Curtis has learned nothing from his past errors in judgement. That is the sad part. [/b]

AGAIN…my point was to just to hopefully steer away any speculation from him doing something criminal. Not that I condone being suspended for ANYTHING, because I don’t. He made a mistake and he’s being punished for it. Wrong is wrong no matter what the context. But I posted what I posted because I didn’t want to see a thread full of accusations about something involving the police or anything like that, given his prior incidents.

3 times within a year is definitley a problem… especially from our star player. This is a little too reminiscent of last year for my taste. Although we still should win this game, I’d feel much better about it if Withers was playing. I just remember all last season everyone saying “If only we would have had Withers for the GW game…”

I guess we will get to see how good Drayton really is tonight.

[b]I guess we will get to see how good Drayton really is tonight. [/b]

…as well as Nance. We won’t have the luxury of playing our small lineup tonight (i.e. Withers, Drayton, Eddie, Plavich, Mitch), and won’t get to press as much. Nance should see 5-10 more minutes, so we can see what he can do.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 10:27 AM [b] Nance should see 5-10 more minutes, so we can see what he can do. [/b]
He will probably see more than that... depending on how Iti plays and how many fouls he picks up.

So anyone know what Curtis did?

While reading charlotte.com this morning, I found the following book excerpt. The caps and bold print were added by me because I thought they were appropriate. Valvano may have made some major errors while in Raleigh, but he did have some valuable perspective.

"ROY FIRESTONE recalls V’s thoughts from an ESPN Up Close interview about his place in coaching big time basketball.

I talked to Jim about the game, just the game, and about the fact that so many of these kids who had come along were now-because of their celebrity-known on a first name basis, Sir Charles, Shack, Michael.

Jim said, "NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN THE GAME. The game is what it’s all about. And I’m in awe of it. We won a championship, right? But there’s still not a gym that I walk into that I don’t want to walk over and take a shot. Gotta take a J. And I have a pretty good J, by the way. I love the game.

"The biggest thrill is at North Carolina State before the first game of the year, down in the locker room where I give my Knute Rockne speech, which I call number 52. I tell the kids it’s for me. People say be calm. But I tell them I work 365 days a year for thirty years for this and people say be calm. How could I be calm? This is it for me, babe.

"I’m down there and I give a hell of a talk, I dive on the floor, the kids go up, and I hear the band play the fight song and then just before tip off, I go out there and I look at 12,000 people, the cheerleaders are doing back flips, the kids are swinging, and I’m in heaven and that’s what it’s all about.

THE MOMENT, THE ATMOSPHERE SURROUNDING THE GAME. NOBODY’S BIGGER THAN THAT. I could leave tomorrow and someone else stand in that locker room. But I still would feel privileged to be a part of the sport and that moment.”

Maybe this will be a blessing in disquise. Maybe this will help ensure Curtis (& any other team member) does not do anything stupid for the rest of the year. I’m just trying to look at it from a positive perspective, but it’s pretty hard to do at this moment.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan+Nov 19 2004, 09:32 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LutzFan @ Nov 19 2004, 09:32 AM)

honestly, that is quite a naive post.

thousands of athletes have played entire careers from t-ball/pee wee leagues to the time they finished careers in the NFL, NBA, and MLB and NEVER ONCE BEEN SUSPENDED.

its a pattern with Withers. this time may not have been serious, but it is a sign of inmaturity that he can’t handle whats expected of him…and what the department requires of you to stay eligible isn’t a whole lot.

telling people not to “fly off the handle” is wrong. fans of the program expect the best player to stay eligible for every game.

[b]its a pattern with Withers. this time may not have been serious, but it is a sign of inmaturity that he can't handle whats expected of him....and what the department requires of you to stay eligible isn't a whole lot.[/b]

I agree with all of that. What he did was a sign of immaturity and I’m not defending that. And I’m sure there is plenty of flexibility in the “system” when it comes to athletes. He was wrong and he’s paying the price tonight by riding the pine.

[b]telling people not to "fly off the handle" is wrong. fans of the program expect the best player to stay eligible for every game.[/b]

I disagree simply from the perspective that I made the comment. As an admin/mod of this board, the last thing we want to see is a day full of fighting, trashing people, attacking players, etc. I was simply just trying to keep the fire to a minimum so that the fact of us having our first regular season game tonight doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. I expect ALL of our players to be eligible for every game and I’m disappointed in Curtis for not being able to contribute tonight. But once again, I just wanted people to at least be in the right ballpark with their accusations about what happened.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 10:59 AM [b] Apparently, it was a last semester issue...after the season was over. There have been no issues since that time and Curtis really has gotten his act together (hence the Observer story). Policy is to suspend a player for breaking a team rule, this was the first game (non-exhibition) he could sit out. [/b]
So it sounds like Bobby and the rest of the team has known this was coming for a while. Intersting that they decided to wait until gameday to announce it.

Maybe Curtis just needed some time off to promote his new album.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 10:17 AM [b]

Maybe Curtis just needed some time off to promote his new album. [/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 09:59 AM [b] If there was reason for concern, do you really think the Athletic Department would have allowed that Observer feature to be printed with all of the high praise? [/b]
The school doesn't ALLOW us to print stuff. Sometimes, as a courtesy, a team or school sometimes will call us off if there's good reason. Panthers training camp, for example. If we ask about someone who's about to get cut, usually a good PR person will give us a signal. I didn't get the impression that was necessary on this.
[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger+Nov 19 2004, 11:43 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mike_Persinger @ Nov 19 2004, 11:43 AM)