What to do with Ron Sanchez?

Too late now. He could have been a great mid season choice

Iā€™m wondering also, he has shown what his ceiling is, middle of the pack in conference, canā€™t win a post season tournament game, I donā€™t know how many years we need to see thisā€¦

Yes. This is what Mike calls a Gold Standard week

1 Like

I am tired of 49er sports making me miserable.

8 Likes

As an ECU fan I wanted to give my two cents. I know your basketball program has been in the desert for nearly 20 years now, and I feel like your administration has been taking the wrong approach since Lutz. Your basketball program reminds me of the slump our football program was in under Scottie. Your admin continues to hire assistants without any proven track record, and while itā€™s a gamble that can pay off eventually, it just hasnā€™t materialized. I feel like you need to really break the bank and lure a coach that has a proven track record of success. I also donā€™t think Ronā€™s system is an enjoyable offensive system to play in. In the world of the transfer portal programs like ours are susceptible to losing our top players every year, so I feel like an up tempo system would help attract portal talent when that attrition eventually happens. I hate it for yā€™all honestly, I know itā€™s not a fun spot to be stuck in for so long. Unfortunately it sounds like Ron will probably be around next season, but hopefully when that next hire comes around Hill changes his approach to the credentials heā€™s looking for when he makes your next basketball hire.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I can survive another year of this. If Hill keeps Sanchez it makes next season feel like a wasted year 8 months before it starts. I just canā€™t comprehend the justification for giving him another year but I am trying to mentally prepare myself for that to happen. This is the definition of insanity!

2 Likes

Word I Agree GIF by INTO ACTION

1 Like

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

1 Like

18 years (17 since 2020 didnā€™t happen) without a NCAA appearance is simply unfathomable to anybody that experienced the success here. That is 4 full graduating classes going on 5 if this continues. Alums have had kids that havenā€™t seen this team play in March.

Rationally, itā€™s hard for me to think Hill is this blind to the current issues. Thereā€™s plenty of data at this point.

Ron said postgame that Patterson did what was called for, which is insane considering MTSUā€™s length & trouble this team has had finishing. That alone should raise the alarms if nothing else has to this point.

3 Likes

This will probably sound crazy but im my opinion keeping Ron after this season is right up there with keeping Lambert after the 1 win season. The record may not be as bad but both made it clear they canā€™t get the job done & turning this basketball program around should be a much easier fix than building a football program from the ground up. Giving him one more season does nothing more than save us money. Thatā€™s the only justification.

4 Likes

What would dlb49ee1 and teddy do?

I donā€™t think money is an issue in the decision.

I think the program is in a better place now than it was when Ron took over.

We are stepping up in league and brands should make a new coach more interested.

We also have to be prepared to lose Aly if we make a change. We also could be screwing the son of an all time great if the roster gets gutted. Ron might not win big next year but the team wouldnā€™t be terrible.

On one side this is an easy decision. On the other it really isnā€™t.

4 Likes

Ronā€™s dead salary $$ should be offset if you get a guy who will keep Halton full on game day.

1 Like

Good thing is that the move to the AAC is basically a lateral one considering what the makeup of the league will be.

Does Brice stay anyway if Sanchez is still here? At some point he has to make a decision for him regardless of the situation.

What if we keep Sanchez and we lose Brice and Isaiah for instance? If we lose Brice and keep Sanchez, that would be it for me.

1 Like

People keep saying this and while the numbers and ratings may work out similar playing in a league with Memphis and Temple and the other AAC brands in absolutely better, not to mention we are bringing with us the best CUSA programs.

2 Likes

The top 4 NET ratings in CUSA are among the 6 teams moving to the AAC. Memphis, Tulane, Wichita St, and Temple all are better than most CUSA teams and all sans Tulane are traditionally good. SMU also is normally a decent program. Weā€™ve went from a one bid league to what will be Iā€™d estimate a 2.5 bid league.

This year would have been ugly had we been in the AAC even less the three teams that are departing. If we play at the same level next year weā€™re a bottom third team. What must be done eventually should be done immediately. Itā€™s time to make a move.

1 Like

Going forward, the AAC will most likely be a one bid league most seasons with an occasional two bid year. Wonā€™t have Houston to prop up the NET numbers.

Weā€™ll have to agree to disagree there, I think Memphis is a virtual lock most years. You combine conferences and FAU and Memphis would be a lock this year, depending on the conference tournament there would be 2-3 bids. FAU may be having a year outside the norm but Temple, Wichita St, SMU, all should be better too.

I think single bid will be an exception barring a Memphis collapse, but AAC basketball is taking a hit no doubt.

One thing is certain. We will be a no bid team under Coach Ron Sanchez.

3 Likes