What Worries you the Most?

Frontcourt production and toughness.

Iā€™m hoping Twon can be the anchor for us-- Iā€™d like to see him throw his weight around and be able to give us 10 and 10 in significant minutes.

I like Jerellā€™s athleticism and quickness-- hope heā€™ll be looking to get to the rack for high-percentage FGs, as well as crash the boards at both ends. Iā€™m trying to convince myself heā€™s one of those athletes who plays bigger than he actually is. I wonder how many minutes heā€™ll earn. . .

Not much to go on, but it looked to me like The Big Phil got winded pretty quickly. I would love to see him in the starting lineup sooner than later, but I havenā€™t seen enough to have any idea how ready he is.

I like Courtneyā€™s size and apparent strength (hopefully heā€™s gotten rid of those big t-shirts). Showed me a nice one-on-one move driving towards the basket-- seems to still be playing the finesse game, though. Frankly, I donā€™t know if he can be very productive in actual competition. Heā€™d certainly be good in the open court in transition, or if Carlos/Leemire can set him up with the drive & dish.

EJ??? He seems to barely get mentioned. I hope he plans on rebounding and defending, because it doesnā€™t look to me like shooting is where his bread is buttered. Besides, we have plenty of jumpshooters already.

Bottom line, weā€™ve got shooters to stretch the opposing defense and weā€™re solid at the point (and at the free throw line, from what Iā€™ve seen of our returning players). When we need to get baskets in the half-court set, I want to see fewer threes and more layups/dunks.

Frontcourt production and toughness.

Iā€™m hoping Twon can be the anchor for us-- Iā€™d like to see him throw his weight around and be able to give us 10 and 10 in significant minutes.

I like Jerellā€™s athleticism and quickness-- hope heā€™ll be looking to get to the rack for high-percentage FGs, as well as crash the boards at both ends. Iā€™m trying to convince myself heā€™s one of those athletes who plays bigger than he actually is. I wonder how many minutes heā€™ll earn. . .

Not much to go on, but it looked to me like The Big Phil got winded pretty quickly. I would love to see him in the starting lineup sooner than later, but I havenā€™t seen enough to have any idea how ready he is.

I like Courtneyā€™s size and apparent strength (hopefully heā€™s gotten rid of those big t-shirts). Showed me a nice one-on-one move driving towards the basket-- seems to still be playing the finesse game, though. Frankly, I donā€™t know if he can be very productive in actual competition. Heā€™d certainly be good in the open court in transition, or if Carlos/Leemire can set him up with the drive & dish.

EJ??? He seems to barely get mentioned. I hope he plans on rebounding and defending, because it doesnā€™t look to me like shooting is where his bread is buttered. Besides, we have plenty of jumpshooters already.

Bottom line, weā€™ve got shooters to stretch the opposing defense and weā€™re solid at the point (and at the free throw line, from what Iā€™ve seen of our returning players). When we need to get baskets in the half-court set, I want to see fewer threes and more layups/dunks.

I agree with what youā€™ve said here except for the Coleman thing. I donā€™t see exactly what he has contributed except for giving the opposing teams a lot of bonus points from the free throw line. It seems everytime he has been put in, itā€™s foul on Antwon, foul on Antwon, foul on Antwon. Defense is great, but if it results in a foul each time, you could put anyone in there to do that.

It worries me that we might not win the NCAA Tourney. But thereā€™s only a 1% chance of that happening.

Bascially, we will have rebounding issues and post defense issues. But then again the college game is a bit watered down in terms of big men in the middle.

For once Iā€™d like us to make it through the OOC schedule unscathed. No brain farts to lesser teams. I hate playing the rest of the season uphill.

Two point shooting. We have to live and die by our 3 pointers because our short range shooting is horrible.

Attendance. Terrible schedule, terrible times, terrible opponents. We will lose a dumb game early and lose fans.

[QUOTE=gamer;194090]Two point shooting. We have to live and die by our 3 pointers because our short range shooting is horrible.[/QUOTE]
That doesnā€™t worry Lutz. He seems to strive for that. Unfortunately, we die by that three a little too often.

I remember a sequence were 'Twon blocked consecutive shot attempts at the rim. He was also, by FAR, our best passer from the high post. One might argue he was the only one any good at passing from the top of the key. Did it always show up as an assist? Naw, but thatā€™s mostly because Curtis would get fouled (or heā€™d fumble it awayā€¦ @#$#@%).

'Twon does a ton of scut work on both sides of the court.

But heā€™s not a good rebounder. Courtney was a beast rebounder in JUCO, but he needs to translate that to DI play this season. As for Phil Jones, donā€™t know what heā€™ll bring as a rebounder. But would you rather have EJ playing Center? :biggrin:

Rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. Thatā€™s what worries me most. Especially preventing offensive rebounds since I think weā€™ll play a ton of zone because of inexperience and, well, Phaler.

As for what gamer said, I still think weā€™ll be weak at post up playā€¦ ughā€¦ but hopefully Carlos can lead to more layups/dunks by our big men.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;194095]ā€¦but hopefully Carlos can lead to more layups/dunks by our big men.[/QUOTE]
That is a positive that I do see. Carlos really impressed me at point and I think he will mature even better to steer the ball. I think he might help create some good offensive opportunities.

I agree with everything Ktown said. (Did I just say that?) Iā€™m most worried about defense. Goldwireā€™s not going to win any awards for his defense, but he always lets the other team know that heā€™s there. If the rest of the team plays with that mentality, Charlotte wins games this year. If they view playing defense as punishment for a botched offensive sequence, they lose games this year.

I shook my head in disbelief at times with Coleman. Not only would he get called for the most ticky-tack fouls Iā€™ve ever seen, but I remember one play when a dumbass charged into Coleman from behind and fell to the floor - foul on Coleman. Coleman had this ā€œWTF?ā€ look on his face- his feet were planted and he never saw the dude coming his way. Stuff like that seemed to happen to him all the time. I donā€™t know if Antwon spend the pregames in the refs locker room blowing his nose on their uniforms or whatnot - but he got called for a lot of BS.

The thing with Coleman is, he sometimes never leaves his feet for a rebound. He concentrates more on preventing the other team from grabbing the ball. Coleman/Withers made a great pairing for that reason- and I hope Coleman/Courtney can pull it off as well. EJ could do it too and put his long arms to good use - but heā€™ll have to decide to become that kind of player - I think he has too much of a shooters mentality.

1. shooting
  2. shooting
  3. getting some easy baskets off of defense; breaks etcā€¦

If you remember last year the first 6 or so games our shooting was really bad, this team has got to shoot really well for us to have a good season. I donā€™t think we will get easy baskets in the half court like last year, withers made a lot of shots in the 2nd half of games for us off his offensive rebounding.

The attendance certainly worries me. We also need to establish a rival school in the A-10. I was arguing with an App St. fan the other day and he said ā€œwe have a rival, who is yours?ā€ I didnā€™t know what to say. Do I say Xavier, Dayton, GW? It beats me, and that bothers me. I miss the good ole days with Cincinnati. At least then we treated them as our rival, even if they didnt do the same. But Who now?

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;194291]The attendance certainly worries me. We also need to establish a rival school in the A-10. I was arguing with an App St. fan the other day and he said ā€œwe have a rival, who is yours?ā€ I didnā€™t know what to say. Do I say Xavier, Dayton, GW? It beats me, and that bothers me. I miss the good ole days with Cincinnati. At least then we treated them as our rival, even if they didnt do the same. But Who now?[/QUOTE]
I think GW would be a good rival from the aspect that like Cincinatti they tend to play n the same level as us. And after last yearā€™s terrible game on their court, we owe payback this year. I got completely annoyed with Daytonā€™s fans at our stadium. They were in the section next to mine and there was a lot of security hanging around because everyone shooting glances everytime Curt threw down a jam or Lee hit a three.

Just continuing to live/die by the 3-ball, despite having a front court that's capable of very solid production. I know it's Lutz's style but it's my biggest gripe with him. I'm all for it under the right circumstances but I just hate seeing us jack up ill-advised 3's, especially when we're not even in position to rebound.
To prevent severe disapointment, you might want to hope for us entering the ball into the low post before we shoot the 3, instead of not shooting a lot of 3s. I don't ever see it changing with Lutz. Also, we don't have a guy that has proven he can score with his back to the basket. Maybe someone will emerge.

[QUOTE=bball49er;194299]To prevent severe disapointment, you might want to hope for us entering the ball into the low post before we shoot the 3, instead of not shooting a lot of 3s. I donā€™t ever see it changing with Lutz. Also, we donā€™t have a guy that has proven he can score with his back to the basket. Maybe someone will emerge.[/QUOTE]
I think this is a role Big Phil can develope into

[QUOTE=Iron9er;194023]Worries:

Defense, rebounding, and toughness (physical and mental).[/QUOTE]

Add to that free throws and your list is complete Iron

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;194291]The attendance certainly worries me. We also need to establish a rival school in the A-10. I was arguing with an App St. fan the other day and he said ā€œwe have a rival, who is yours?ā€ I didnā€™t know what to say. Do I say Xavier, Dayton, GW? It beats me, and that bothers me. I miss the good ole days with Cincinnati. At least then we treated them as our rival, even if they didnt do the same. But Who now?[/QUOTE]

I have been screaming this since we landed in the A10. To be a true rival it will take a few years and the other team has to consistently be good. We also need to play them home and home every year to really stoke that emotion. If it is home every other year in basketball can it really feel like a true rival? I guess for now GW fits the bill.

An instant rivalry might have formed in Foggy Bottom. The ending of that game still pisses me off. I bet it pisses Leemire off too.

Iā€™m mostly worried about the lack of TV games:ticked:

The attendance certainly worries me. We also need to establish a rival school in the A-10. I was arguing with an App St. fan the other day and he said "we have a rival, who is yours?" I didn't know what to say. Do I say Xavier, Dayton, GW? It beats me, and that bothers me. I miss the good ole days with Cincinnati. At least then we treated them as our rival, even if they didnt do the same. But Who now?

Tell them that we tried to make them our rival but kept kicking their :moon:

Them and Davidson anyways.