What's In a Name

For the 7th Time this Year, Sports Marketing Association wants to pick some Spirit Name for the School. Apparently the fact that Niner Nation absolutely dominated the Cincy fan polls and the little online poll is not enough because this is going to go to the students at the same time as Student Government Elections.

I throw my hands up and say this is embarrassing. Absolutely Embarrasing. When our student body is called Sac NUTS or whatever it is b/c a bunch of people who don’t ever go to basketball games vote on it because it sounds like “Nut Sacks” I hope all you basketball fans find our Sports Marketing team and lynch them.

I for one am glad that I’ll be an alumni in 2 months.

clt points out that you will be an alumnus. unless you are a female.

well, even if a different name wins, lets just keep crankin out the Niner Nation shirts and promote it like never before. i know ill keep wearing mine even if there is a damn name change

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Apr 4 2005, 04:11 PM [b] For the 7th Time this Year, Sports Marketing Association wants to pick some Spirit Name for the School. Apparently the fact that Niner Nation absolutely dominated the Cincy fan polls and the little online poll is not enough because this is going to go to the students at the same time as Student Government Elections.

I throw my hands up and say this is embarrassing. Absolutely Embarrasing. When our student body is called Sac NUTS or whatever it is b/c a bunch of people who don’t ever go to basketball games vote on it because it sounds like “Nut Sacks” I hope all you basketball fans find our Sports Marketing team and lynch them.

I for one am glad that I’ll be an alumni in 2 months. [/b]

It really amazes me to see how dumb the people who run our athletic dept are. Do they really get paid for this?

NINER NATION OR NOTHING!!!

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@Apr 4 2005, 04:21 PM [b] clt points out that you will be an alumnus. unless you are a female. [/b]
...and in that case, you'll be an alumna.

This is only the second real vote the SMA has put on. The first was at the Cincy game and was meant to be a preliminary vote. I assume they waited this long to make the final vote it order to piggyback off of the SGA elections. The school has no better option to get the most votes than the SGA election.

Yes, most people feel like it is a formality and Niner Nation will win easily, but the people running the naming process think a proper vote must take place to determine an official name. Also, this is almost exclusively being run by STUDENTS. One representative from the athletic/marketing department has been involved, but is waiting to get an official name and then the school will start pushing the name.

The process is far from perfect, but the goal has always been to get a name before the semester is over, and that WILL happen. Just hang tight for a couple more weeks and it will be official. Vote for Niner Nation when the time for the official vote comes and try to enjoy the idea of having a unified student section next season.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Apr 4 2005, 08:22 PM [b] This is only the second real vote the SMA has put on. The first was at the Cincy game and was meant to be a preliminary vote. I assume they waited this long to make the final vote it order to piggyback off of the SGA elections. The school has no better option to get the most votes than the SGA election.

Yes, most people feel like it is a formality and Niner Nation will win easily, but the people running the naming process think a proper vote must take place to determine an official name. Also, this is almost exclusively being run by STUDENTS. One representative from the athletic/marketing department has been involved, but is waiting to get an official name and then the school will start pushing the name.

The process is far from perfect, but the goal has always been to get a name before the semester is over, and that WILL happen. Just hang tight for a couple more weeks and it will be official. Vote for Niner Nation when the time for the official vote comes and try to enjoy the idea of having a unified student section next season. [/b]

I have a ? Is this name for the student section or for all fans at large? Niner Nation can never be used for anything except everyone in niner green.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Apr 4 2005, 11:22 PM [b] I have a ? Is this name for the student section or for all fans at large? Niner Nation can never be used for anything except everyone in niner green.[/b]
It's the name the atheltic department will push to include EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THE UNIVERSITY. The IMMEDIATE and most obvious use of the name will be to attempt to get all of the students sitting on the bench side of Halton in green shirts. But this isn't going to be a student club that you have to pay dues to join or anything, it will be a name applied to everyone. If the atheltic department and school get behind it like they sound like they will, every incoming freshman will know they are becoming a part of Niner Nation. Local news will start saying how rocking Niner Nation was for the big first place game against George Washington last night, ect ect.

The idea is it will be much much more than a few hundred green shirts in Halton arena.

That is ok with me. My concern is that I hear from half of sources (including you and 49erfan1 ) that it will be a general name for everyone (which i agree with) and I hear from half of other sources (U-times, SGA) that it is for student supporters, student section, etc.

Who has the final word on what the name will represent once it is chosen?

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 12:46 AM [b] That is ok with me. My concern is that I hear from half of sources (including you and 49erfan1 ) that it will be a general name for everyone (which i agree with) and I hear from half of other sources (U-times, SGA) that it is for student supporters, student section, etc.

Who has the final word on what the name will represent once it is chosen? [/b]

A representative from the atheltic department has been involved with the meetings and says it will be used outside of the student section at games. The immediate impact will be on the student section which is why the pub. is about that, but the people running this have plans to make it a much bigger thing than just the student section.

Don’t listen to U-Times, they hear what they want to hear. As for the selection process, my problem is that some of the people running these processes came up with some of the other names. While I’m all fair for being democratic, this vote does not concern people who care little or not at all about basketball. This vote should only concern basketball fans and we should’ve been polling the real fans. I’m sure no 60 year old alumna wants her name to be associated with a Sac of Nuts.

I like the name “Goldduster Busters” :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by jp49er[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 08:41 AM [b] I like the name "Goldduster Busters" :P [/b]
I laughed at that....then thought....'gross'

Maybe if the Golddusters would dance to the “Ghostbusters” theme instead of the music they currently use, then the entertainment would be better… :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe if we replaced the Golddusters with the girls from Uptown Caberet, then we wouldn’t have to worry about low attendance and what music was played. :smiley: