Where is Jim Utter?

Why is David Scott writing our Observer articles instead of Jim Utter? As a sports writer, David Scott would make a good photographer. Most of his articles are items copied from the media guide with a couple of sentences added about the game. PLEASE GIVE US JIM BACK!

jim is in Daytona…

[QUOTE=ChevEE;218181]jim is in Daytona…[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. David has been with the Big O for quite some time - almost 30 years – and usually covers the ACC (Wake Forest in particular) and the SEC (ditto on South Carolina). He also writes about college soccer.

the real question is: why was the victory not on the FRONT PAGE of sports?

does anyone really give a rats ass about Beach Mtn or the GA coastline???

[QUOTE=metro;218230]the real question is: why was the victory not on the FRONT PAGE of sports?

Only a rats ass would care about Beach Mtn or the GA coastline[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[QUOTE=metro;218230]the real question is: why was the victory not on the FRONT PAGE of sports?
[/QUOTE]

La.-Lafayette is 7-18.

La.-Lafayette is 7-18.

The home town team played them.

That doesn’t guarantee them a front-page spot. I know you disagree with me on that.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218264]That doesn’t guarantee them a front-page spot. I know you disagree with me on that.[/QUOTE]
So does pretty much every other newspaper with a D-1 team in its town.

I think it is appropriate that we pause for a Public Service announcement.

a simple reminder for hometown media coverage of the Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball team

1. REGULAR SEASON GAMES - print coverage will depend on available space. Boxscores and/or photos are purely optional. Pregame coverage is considered going above & beyond. Radio/TV will provide coverage if it fits in their 30 sound bites.

2. POST SEASON GAMES

a) Conference Tournament - same as regular season games.
b) NCAA/NIT appearance (and any subsequent games until the Final 4) - same as regular season, except that a photo (video for TV) and boxscore (post game soundbite for TV) WILL BE included.
c) NCAA Final Four - every reasonable effort will be made to attempt to have local print & TV employees cover the team at the game site, providing pre & post game coverage. If this is deemed to be not possible*, coverage will resort to “wireservice” support.

• reasons for no local Final 4 coverage of Niners include, but are not limited to, multiple teams from North Carolina in same event, NASCAR & Carolina Panthers predraft coverage.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;218265]So does pretty much every other newspaper with a D-1 team in its town.[/QUOTE]

So we disagree.

Today’s Dallas paper, for instance, had Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M on its front, but not TCU or Baylor, both in the metro area.

I am in Daytona covering Speedweeks. I will be back for the game at Duquesne and finish the rest of the season.

Jim

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218283]So we disagree.

Today’s Dallas paper, for instance, had Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M on its front, but not TCU or Baylor, both in the metro area.[/QUOTE]

TCU is in Fort Worth, I bet it was frontpage in the DFW Telegram, 100 bucks says you are talking about the DMNews.

Baylor is 80 miles away. whats your point?

lame excuses, lame logic

some days, I agree we are backpage news. But today’s lame Sorensen and Fowler stories about the coast of GA and Beech Mtn, should not of beat us out. Period.

[QUOTE=metro;218293] some days, I agree we are backpage news. But today’s lame Sorensen and Fowler stories about the coast of GA and Beech Mtn, should not of beat us out. Period.[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218297]I respect your opinion.[/QUOTE]

so how about my DFW Telegram question? Was TCU on that frontpage??? (just admit your example of TCU ommission was the DMNews)

your Baylor example is a moot point, I don’t expect to see a school 80 miles from Charlotte on the Observer sports frontpage (unless they do something stunning).

TCU is in Fort Worth, I bet it was frontpage in the DFW Telegram, 100 bucks says you are talking about the DMNews.

Baylor is 80 miles away. whats your point?

lame excuses, lame logic

some days, I agree we are backpage news. But today’s lame Sorensen and Fowler stories about the coast of GA and Beech Mtn, should not of beat us out. Period.

Good call.

Although the Texas Tech-Texas A&M game did get the big headline in Fort Worth, it did not receive media bias like the way, oh, I dunno, some teal-colored team gets in the Charlotte region.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/

Judging by the headlines, I know there was a big game with Texas Tech, but I do not know what Bobby Knight had for breakfast. I know the TCU baseball team won, however.

[QUOTE=metro;218293]Baylor is 80 miles away. whats your point?[/QUOTE]
The Observer apparently thinks that’s in their “area,” which is weird because the Observer has never treated a school 80 miles away like it was a local team.

This is not even worth arguing. I will not edit our section by being dutiful, stories have to earn their way onto the front. A victory over a 7-18 team ranked 270 in the RPI did not meet that threshhold today. It wasn’t even the biggest sports story on your campus yesterday. And for what it’s worth, Fort Worth is part of what Dallas considers its “market,” and a place they’re in a newspaper war that they’re losing.

[QUOTE=hky49er;218180]Why is David Scott writing our Observer articles instead of Jim Utter? As a sports writer, David Scott would make a good photographer. Most of his articles are items copied from the media guide with a couple of sentences added about the game. PLEASE GIVE US JIM BACK![/QUOTE]

LOL David Scott isnt that bad, cut him some slack. I really liked the peice on Bones in the gmine blog. He is doing a good job filling in for Jim

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218313] And for what it’s worth, Fort Worth is part of what Dallas considers its “market,” and a place they’re in a newspaper war that they’re losing.[/QUOTE]

so?? I have been there I know D-FW is one market, that is not the argument

so answer the question…
was TCU’s game on the sports frontpageof “their” hometown paper (FW Telegram)??

I bet you were good at dodgeball as a kid.