Where is Jim Utter?

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218313]This is not even worth arguing. I will not edit our section by being dutiful, stories have to earn their way onto the front.[/QUOTE]

what a myth,
like I said the Ga coastline and Beech mtn stories didn’t “earn their way”

[QUOTE=metro;218316]so?? answer the question…
was TCU’s game on the sports frontpageof “their” hometown paper (FW Telegram)??

I bet you were good at dodgeball as a kid.[/QUOTE]
Metro, I’m all about getting coverage but this whole argument you always have is growing old and pointless. He isn’t dodging anything. He feels it’s not worth arguing and made his point. You have made yours and he still is the one that makes the decision…

[QUOTE=ChevEE;218320]Metro, I’m all about getting coverage but this whole argument you always have is growing old and pointless. He isn’t dodging anything. He feels it’s not worth arguing and made his point. You have made yours and he still is the one that makes the decision…[/QUOTE]

as usual, you are NOT reading the whole thread. Try to focus.

he used an example that TCU’s win last night was not on the “Dallas” frontpage today, but he conveniently left out that actually the FW Telegram is TCU’s paper.

and its not pointless, if we win…we should be on 1A of sports. You believe diffenent? I think you’ll be alone (unless your last name is Persinger)

[QUOTE=metro;218316]so?? I have been there I know D-FW is one market, that is not the argument

so answer the question…
was TCU’s game on the sports frontpageof “their” hometown paper (FW Telegram)??

I bet you were good at dodgeball as a kid.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. Dallas’ sports front is online, Fort Worth’s isn’t.

Mike, I understand that there are well over 300 Division I teams for men’s basketball alone. But a hometown team that is at the level of Charlotte (say, teams that recruit at the 3-4 star level) are always going to be the main focus for the men’s college basketball section - no matter how powerful another state team may be.

I’ve never, ever seen another scenario that exists like the one in Charlotte. The best example you can use is Fort Worth, Texas (pretty comparable to a city of Charlotte’s size) - and even on the day after a major state basketball rivalry had taken place, it still appears that the newspaper found room for a big story on the TCU baseball team and a big story on the TCU basketball team. Earlier, you tried to compare Charlotte to Richmond, yet the newspaper for Richmond proved to have not devoted itself to covering ACC Virgina or ACC Virginia Tech in the same insane manner as the newspaper for Charlotte covers its hometown ACC team.

Do you never travel? Do you not pick up any other newspaper than your own? If you did, you might discover that newspapers do, in fact, cover the hometown team appropriately without gauging the ‘suckiness’ of the opponent.

I did not mean to start a anti-Observer forum. I was merely complimenting Jim Utter and the great job he has been doing for us this year. I was glad to hear he is still “our guy” and I am looking forward to his return and more good articles on the 49ers. Have fun in Florida Jim.

clt wonders how the observer will cover niner football.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218325]I don’t know. Dallas’ sports front is online, Fort Worth’s isn’t.[/QUOTE]
Mike, here’s the link to the sports section of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

DFW.com - Sports

[QUOTE=run49er;218332]Mike, here’s the link to the sports section of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

DFW.com - Sports[/QUOTE]

thats now what he meant RUN,

he meant the PDF file is unavailable to see the actual frontpage as it appears in paper.

some papers offer that.

[QUOTE=metro;218293]…today’s lame Sorensen…[/QUOTE]

Some would find that redundant! :biggrin:

The response from Fort Worth Star-Telegram sports editor to my question, “Did you play TCU on your front today?”

HECK NO! The Frogs have now lost 10 in a row! Even the Frog Nation doesn’t care about ‘em. Now, we did have the No. 6 Aggies losing to Texas Tech in College Station.

mike,
i have a suggestion. put only articles and photos related to charlotte athletics on page one of your sports section 365 days a year. use alot of green ink too. you could rename this section if necessary. if it is a slow sports day for the forty niners maybe you could go to the archives and rerun some of the most memorable stories and photos. i think this would make everyone happy.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;218337]The response from Fort Worth Star-Telegram sports editor to my question, “Did you play TCU on your front today?”

HECK NO! The Frogs have now lost 10 in a row! Even the Frog Nation doesn’t care about ‘em. Now, we did have the No. 6 Aggies losing to Texas Tech in College Station.[/QUOTE]

fair enough,
I still say if the Niners win, its frontpage…especially when jackshit happened the night before, and you effectively made TS and SF do oddball stories- due to the lack of news.

I even completely agree the Heels were worthy of being frontpage.

The more I thought about this, I kept asking myself, “What in the hell does TCU and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram have to do the Big O putting the Niners on the front page?” Well, absolutely NOTHING!!! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

Anyway, I don’t have any problem with the ACC on the front of the sports section either. There are times when that’s just fine. The fact is the Niners won, they are on a modest winning streak, and a player had something of a “breakout” game. That’s good enough for the front page.

If I’m following Mike’s logic here, then there will be times when the Panthers don’t make the front page, either because of their play/record or that of their opponent’s. I am aware that the Bobcats have been “buried” in the sports section at times, so there is a precedent for “hiding” the news of our major league teams. Not saying that I agree with that either, but seems that’s the way it’s going to be at 600 South Tryon.

[QUOTE=run49er;218474]The more I thought about this, I kept asking myself, “What in the hell does TCU and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram have to do the Big O putting the Niners on the front page?” Well, absolutely NOTHING!!! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

[/QUOTE]

Mike P was looking for an alibi or peer to compare himself too (in terms of NCAA team in a metro-city)

His original thought was, “TCU won lastnight and it not on the Dallas frontpage”

then I replied basically…“what about the FW Tele- where TCU actually is”

fair comparison, but I still think he’s wrong

why he chose Dallas??..maybe he was there?

Metro, the Big O is the paper that gave us the recent (January 17th) section E front page story (complete with pictures) on – drumroll, please! – TOAST! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=run49er;218658]Metro, the Big O is the paper that gave us the recent (January 17th) section E front page story (complete with pictures) on – drumroll, please! – TOAST! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Today they gave us a 9-12 record. :huh: Nice Sabrina Gregory and Barnett story, though.

Man, where is Jim Utter? Thought he would be back from Daytona by now.

clt saw him.

I believe he is on FarmersOnly.com if you want to find him.