Where's the love for Basden?

SI.com: Big shots: Who are the midseason MVPs in each conference?

Seth Davis lists Francisco Garcia (UofL), Quemont Greer (DePaul), and Travis Diener as the top three in C-USA at mid-season. He does give props to Eddie on page 2:

Speaking of Charlotte, this week’s player who’s better than you think is 49ers guard Eddie Basden. The 6-foot-5 senior is overshadowed at times by the inside muscle of Curtis Withers and the long-range shooting of Brendan Plavich, but he has shown the ability to make shots and drive to the hoop. He has also been Charlotte’s most consistent player.

This is what I don’t understand about Diener and Marquette. They make the Final Four one year on the back of a superstar and all of the sudden they are a powerhouse that deserves to go to the Big East and then gets ranked off of a cupcake schedule. Now you have some average player like Diener gets more props than Eddie!

College basketball can be a joke!

I’ve said it before…Diener is vastly overrated,as he showed in our game.

[b]I've said it before...Diener is vastly overrated,as he showed in our game. [/b]

But he will be a good NBA :rolleyes:…as one of the ESPN announcer said.

I wish Diener were over rated, but I have to say I don’t think he is, after seeing too much of him for four years. He is quicker than he looks, stronger than he looks, a better dribbler and passer, a better defender than appears, and he makes those around him better. If he had been here, he would have started for 3 if not 4 years. This time around I was hoping Baldwin could really school him, but even on one leg he played decently. I think he really has a better shot at the next level next year than anyone on our current roster. Hopefully next year I won’t be able to say the same as our players continue to grow and improve.

There is no doubt that his team is over rated, as their conference record has shown. But until we make it to the Final Four again, I won’t complain about a fellow conference team getting national pub based on past performances, since we get to change that perception when the games are actually played.

GO NINERS!!!

I’m a fan of Diener, so I’m not going to bash him. I just feel that if you are going to look at the league’s best, then you need to look at who is at the top of the standings. Since Charlotte is tied with Cincy, DePaul, and Louisville, plus the Niners victory over Marquette in Milwaukee, then I would give the nod to Basden over Diener at this point.

GO NINERS!!!

Honestly, I don’t see how Francisco Garcia is getting all this praise. Sure he can shoot the 3 but Plavich can too and he ain’t getting no love from others. I think Garcia is no good.

[b]I think Garcia is no good.[/b]

Have you ever seen Garcia play? That kid has game, and will definitely be a pro. I have no problem with him getting pub or consideration for POY.

I do think that Basden gets overlooked, though, cause he has a more complete game now than any of the other candidates. I do wish he were a better one-on-one defender though. Sure, he gets lots of steals, but mostly from playing the passing lanes. In my opinion, Basden spends too much time standing straight up instead of in a defensive stance, and thereby allows too many players to get that first quick step on him, so he reaches around from behind. That said, there is no one in the league I would trade him for right now!

GO NINERS!!!

Have to agree with Ziltz on Garcia. As the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel points out concerning today’s Louisville-Marquette game:

The 6-foot-7 Garcia, the pre-season pick for player of the year in Conference USA, does just about everything well and leads the Cardinals in scoring (16.7 points per game), assists (4.2), steals (2.2) and blocks (1.7), and also leads all regulars in free-throw shooting (87.4%).

Those are pretty good numbers.

[i]Originally posted by ziltz[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 12:21 PM [b]
[b]I think Garcia is no good.[/b]

Have you ever seen Garcia play? That kid has game, and will definitely be a pro. I have no problem with him getting pub or consideration for POY.

I do think that Basden gets overlooked, though, cause he has a more complete game now than any of the other candidates. I do wish he were a better one-on-one defender though. Sure, he gets lots of steals, but mostly from playing the passing lanes. In my opinion, Basden spends too much time standing straight up instead of in a defensive stance, and thereby allows too many players to get that first quick step on him, so he reaches around from behind. That said, there is no one in the league I would trade him for right now!

GO NINERS!!! [/b]

In my opinion, Basden spends too much time standing straight up instead of in a defensive stance, and thereby allows too many players to get that first quick step on him, so he reaches around from behind

He “Reaches around from behind”???
I had no idea

4 Things:

1. Garcia is good.
  2. Greer is the POY thus far IMO.
  3. Diener should be banned from any All-Anything Team or award until he shaves (or washes off) that pathetic excuse for facial hair he has festering on his face. He looks like a 12 year old Amish boy.
  4. Eddie may not be POY but he may be the most important single player to his team in the league.
[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 11:57 AM [b] 3. Diener should be banned from any All-Anything Team or award until he shaves (or washes off) that pathetic excuse for facial hair he has festering on his face. He looks like a 12 year old Amish boy. 4. Eddie may not be POY but he may be the most important single player to his team in the league. [/b]
those are the two TRUEST statements ever posted on this board!!