Who are our good free throw shooters?

Plavich makes a lot of threes but shoots, what, 65% from the line?
What about Baldwin? Basden? Withers?

Sager is probably the only guy who drains the ā€œfreeā€ throws consistently.

I think we should change the name from free throws to costly throws. Or brick throws. Those 2 that Basden missed near the end had my head in my hands.

Iā€™m no basketball expert. Can you even teach/coach free throw shooting?

Maybe it would be good to focus on coaching that for a while. Then again, maybe it could do more harm than good if the players are all focused on free throws and they canā€™t think about anything else. I dunno.

Sigh.

Yes, you can teach FT technique to improve your probability. Good technique with practice equals +65% FT, generally speaking, if not higher. Not any different than hitting a golf ball well.

I do remember from last year Mitch being very bad from the line. Basden is usally pretty strong I do believe, dontā€™ know what happened last night. As a team we have never been what I would call a ā€œstrongā€ free throw team.

Good question, we need to see the list of FT %, who are our top 3 ?

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:32 PM [b] Good question, we need to see the list of FT %, who are our top 3 ? [/b]
Based on last season's statistics it would be:

Plavich with 70.7%
Curtis with 68%
Basden with 64%

Sager only had 3 free throws attempts last year and made 2 of 3.

How on Earth can free throws be such a thorn in our side? Are we that unlucky to have a team full of bad-to-mediocre free throw shooters??? Can somebody please have Jobey Thomas come back and teach these guys some technique???

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:19 PM [b]How on Earth can free throws be such a thorn in our side? Are we that unlucky to have a team full of bad-to-mediocre free throw shooters??? Can somebody please have Jobey Thomas come back and teach these guys some technique??? [/b]
That's a really good idea actually. There are only a few players bad enough that you can't teach them how to shoot FTs(like Shaq or Ben Wallace bad). For most players it's just lack of consistency in their routine and shot. Eddie had been spinning the ball around his back before his FTs this year, but at the end of the game when he went to the line he didn't do this. It doesn't matter how stupid a routine is, it needs to be consistent. Like Jason Kidd kissing the sky before his, it doesn't help him make FT's, but it is his routine and it stays the same everytime he shoots.

Like someone said, FT shooting is just liking hitting a golf ball, itā€™s all about repitition and doing the exact same thing everytime you step up there. Itā€™s a process, our coaches donā€™t seem to do a very good job of teaching the process of FT shooting.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:37 PM [b] Like someone said, FT shooting is just liking hitting a golf ball, it's all about repitition and doing the exact same thing everytime you step up there. It's a process, our coaches don't seem to do a very good job of teaching the process of FT shooting. [/b]
I don't know what the staff is teaching on FTs if anything, but obviously making 40 or 50 of them in practice like Bobby says isn't getting the job done. I can't believe it has anything to do with conditioning--being tired as you take the shot. These players are in the best shape I've ever seen. Something's missing. I don't know what. Our FTs did not improve until late last season, but they did improve. This game shined a huge spotlight on it, which was good. Hopefully that's all they needed to push the issue.

ā€œour good free throw shootersā€ā€¦now thereā€™s an oxymoron right up there with jumbo shrimp and government intelligence.

Anyway, here are the current FT% leaders around the country

FT%

I know its still early but a few of these seem impossible for a 49ers fan to comprehend

Michigan has a player who is 17-17 over 3 games
Oregon St. has a player who is 23-24 over 3 games
South Carolina St. has a guy who 18-20 over 4 games
Pepperdine has a player who 19-21 over 3 games.

He$$, Travis Diener is 33-37 this season. From what I remember, all of the Dieners were decent FT shooters. There has got to be a spare Diener whoā€™d like to get back in a CUSA locker roomā€¦signā€™em up and make him a FT coach.

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 02:48 PM [b] I don't know what the staff is teaching on FTs if anything, but obviously making 40 or 50 of them in practice like Bobby says isn't getting the job done. [/b]
I agree with everything you said, but in regards to the 40 or 50 FTs or whatever we do - how many times in a game do you shoot 50 straight FTs?

Thatā€™s not a game simulation exercise. It doesnā€™t make sense to me. I donā€™t care if our guys can get hot and hit 20 or 30 or whatever in a row. As a fan I need them to make the 2 they are at the line for right now.

Put them in game situations and make them unconcious killers who can nail them without thinking about them. It should be automatic. If these guys hear a whistle in the middle of the mall when theyā€™re out shopping, their bodies should instinctively toe the closest line and do their best Mark Price impersonation with the closest spherical object. It should be as natural as pissing for them.

we donā€™t even need to be good just being bad (60%) would be sufficient

Get ready guys, every team that scouts us is going to go after us in the paint, especially in the 2nd half and send us to the FT line. Our big guys are going to have to hit some front ends of 1-1ā€™s to take the heat off.

This seasonā€™s numbers ar pathetic with the exception of Baldwin.

Mitchell: 8-10 80%

Rest of Team: 22-55 40%

Pretty sad.

Uh-oh, here is one for you.

Valpo against Cinci, Valpo committed 24 fouls (2 guys fouled out).

Cinci had to attempt 31 FTā€™sā€¦

Roderick Howard still lives in the Charlotte area - I say we sign him up as an assistant coach.

[b]Not any different than hitting a golf ball well[/b]

hitting a golf ball ā€˜wellā€™ is much harder than shooting a free throw. you can shoot FTā€™s blind folded if you are decent.

I think our FT shooting may be a testament to our mental focus in games?

can we shoot our freethrows from the 3 pt line?? Is this legal it just may slove our problem. We shot almost 50% from three.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 04:12 PM [b] This season's numbers ar pathetic with the exception of Baldwin.

Mitchell: 8-10 80%

Rest of Team: 22-55 40%

Pretty sad. [/b]

Well, thereā€™s our answer. Nobody but Mitchell is allowed to shoot the damn ball in the second half!