Who Else is Sick of the Hype

I’m not talking about the Panthers in general. I believe the Panthers have a solid team that, like many other teams, can compete for the division with a few breaks and some luck.

But, like the hype that surrounds Michael Vick (who is an AVERAGE QB at best) simply because he is a great athlete, the hype that surrounds the Panther’s defense is just as sickening.

For 3yrs now, all you hear about is how the Panthers have the best “Front 4” in the league. This is the same Front 4 that New England drug up and down the field in the SUperBowl. The same Dominant Front 4 that was awful last year…but that was blamed on Kris Jenkins’ injury.

This year…AGAIN…everyone (ESPN, Sporting News, Dan Patrick, Sean Salisbury, etc) proclaimed the “Healthy” Dominant Front 4 would lead the Panthers again this year and that with the improved secondary, the Panthers would have one of if not the best defense in Football.

HA!!!

Average at best again. PLEASE STOP HYPING OUR AVERAGE DEFENSE.

We have great athletes so maybe the scheming or play calling or coaching is what the root of the problem is but either way…OUR DEFENSE IS AVERAGE…AGAIN. The Saints marched 80 yds plus on their first 2 possessions and again at the end of the game. The game also would not have been in doubt if it were not for Aaron Brooks’ UNFORCED fumble at the 2.

OUR DEFENSE SUCKS!!!

and if I hear one more “expert” say otherwise, I will officially go postal on someone or something. We’re average…deal with it.

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!

Trgovac… or however you spell his name is the problem. The Panther D with less talent was much more effective with Del Rio as the D-coordinator. His D was nasty and gave up nothing… Trgovac’s D seems to bend way too much and give up big plays. It also seemed to me that the Saints spent alot of time throwing infront of Thomas Davis… welcome to the NFL rookie.

Are you sure your a Panthers fan. Our Defense sucks? You’re a fool.

He may be a fool, but on this day, he’s right.

The defense was decidedly pedestrian.

The Saints weren’t coming into the season with much hype in terms of playoff legitimacy and aspirations. This was not New England.

Aaron Brooks is an average QB, but he picked apart the Panthers. Evidently, none of the Carolina defenders got the memo that Ernie Conwell was on the Saints roster until halftime. Deuce McAllister didn’t break any long runs but got the job done. The Panthers couldn’t pressure the QB all day long.

For a team that was on the cover of S.I. as the NFC Super Bowl representative, speaking relatively they played about how KTown described them.

In the grand scheme of things, do they “suck”? No.

But on Sunday did they look like they could be a Super Bowl team in 18 or 19 weeks? Again, no.

[i]Originally posted by ninerab[/i]@Sep 11 2005, 10:13 PM [b] Are you sure your a Panthers fan. Our Defense sucks? You're a fool. [/b]
Take off the blinders

Today - We gave up :

• 21 first downs
  • 2 rushing TD’s
    The Defense had ZERO sacks and the defense forced ZERO turnovers (the offense forced one).
    The Saints:
  • moved the ball at will (only punted twice all game)
  • converted 8 of 13 3rd downs (62%!!!).

Wow…GREAT D!!

Need I go on?

OK.

2004 Reg Season Rankings (per NFL.com)-
20th - Total Def
31st - 3rd Down Conversion Allow
18th - Passing Def
17th - Rushing Def
15th - Scoring Def

2003 SuperBowl Game (per superbowl.com)
Our Defense Gave up:

• 29 First Downs
  • 481 total yds
  • 4 TD’s
  • 8/17 3rd Down Eff (47%)
  • 1/1 4th Down Eff (100%)

Again…take off the blinders. These stats are average at BEST…yet the local & national press pubs us like we’re the best D in the league.

It’s embarrassing. I wish everyone would just shut up about our Defense and the “Best Front 4” in the NFL. We are painfully average. Period.

Lmao the Panther’s front four great when Buckner and Rucker do something. Cmon Peppers and Jenkins both are getting doubled and they still are able to make plays. Rucker and Buckner could be better. If you can’t shake off one guy, but the guy beside you can shake off two then something is wrong.

BTW, New Orleans awlays have the Panther’s number even back to the Ricky Williams days. Sometimes there is some teams you just have a hard time beating.

Examples: Cowboys always beat the Redskins. Panthers always lose to the Falcons. Houston always loses to teams with losing records. LOL.

Ohh YEA what about the Cowboys today. I’m sick and tired of hearing all the talk about how Bledsoe can’t play and he’s too old. He’s only three years older than Delhomme for crying out loud. Bledsoe may rack up his share of sacks but he doesn’t make stupid mistakes and throw INT’s like the past 7 QBs we have had at DAL.

[i]Originally posted by Ninerballin[/i]@Sep 11 2005, 11:49 PM [b] Lmao the Panther's front four great when Buckner and Rucker do something. Cmon Peppers and Jenkins both are getting doubled and they still are able to make plays. Rucker and Buckner could be better. If you can't shake off one guy, but the guy beside you can shake off two then something is wrong.

BTW, New Orleans awlays have the Panther’s number even back to the Ricky Williams days. Sometimes there is some teams you just have a hard time beating.

Examples: Cowboys always beat the Redskins. Panthers always lose to the Falcons. Houston always loses to teams with losing records. LOL.

Ohh YEA what about the Cowboys today. I’m sick and tired of hearing all the talk about how Bledsoe can’t play and he’s too old. He’s only three years older than Delhomme for crying out loud. Bledsoe may rack up his share of sacks but he doesn’t make stupid mistakes and throw INT’s like the past 7 QBs we have had at DAL. [/b]

Panthers won like 5 in a row against the saints before the last two games. I wouldn’t say the saints have our number. That belongs to the falcons.

Yea but when the Panthers need to beat the saints THEY CAN’T. The saints put the Panthers out of the playoffs last year and proved this year that the panthers aren’t the top superbowl contenders as everyone says.

Jenkins out for year. That’s spells the end for Rucker’s dream season.

jenkins will produce a lot of fat sitting on the bench once again for another season ending injury. He’s spending the panther’s money well getting fat sitting down for two seasons in a row. Must be the life.

Have the coaches ever heard of blitzing. It’s a known fact around the league, put a little pressure on guys like Brooks and they throw it up for grabs.

Didn’t see all of the game though, maybe they did more than I realize.

i’m sure they’ve heard of blitzing DUH. They just don’t have the defense to blitz. amazing how the eagles manage to blitz once every four downs like sane teams do and the panthers do it once every 2 quarters

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@Sep 15 2005, 08:52 AM [b] i'm sure they've heard of blitzing DUH. They just don't have the defense to blitz. amazing how the eagles manage to blitz once every four downs like sane teams do and the panthers do it once every 2 quarters [/b]
They don't have the defense to blitz? Our front 4 is still pretty good and our linebackers are one of the better units in the league. Ricky Manning is actually really good off the corner as a blitzer. We have all the tools to have an effective blitz, just not a defensive coordinator willing to execute.

well your front four was phenominal if chris jenkins ever descides not to have a season ending injury. Peppers is easily stopped. All you have to do is double team him and he struggles the rest of the game. The other two guys are has beens who only get credit because of peppers and jenkins.

Manning is no longer a cornerback. which means he DOESN’T blitz. He plays nickel back for them now. watch the games and actually pay attention to something

Actually nickel back is one of the easier positions to blitz from because you are closer to the QB, so he definitely should be utilized in the blitz packages. You would just roll the LB’s over to cover where he left.

yeah but nickel backs don’t play the entire game like the rest of the defense does. He only comes out on nickel packages

Gotcha, yeah he is not a starter, but I think he should be out their more often than not. He is tough on the run and a good blitzer as mentioned earlier. He would probably make more tackles being out there instead of B. Short…albeit that would only have to be 3 <_<

The Front 4 went down the toilet.
The whole 4th qtr. we needed the ball, & the d kept letting the saints drive.

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@Sep 15 2005, 11:37 AM [b] yeah but nickel backs don't play the entire game like the rest of the defense does. He only comes out on nickel packages [/b]
Manning is in there a good bit. Not the whole game obviously, but a lot to be a nickel back. You don't blitz on every down anyway. As for Peppers being ineffective when double teamed, I have a highlights video you can download from me if you wanna see him dominate some double teams. Against the Saints Peppers was doubled and tripled and he was also held a lot but it wasn't called. If you go back and watch teh game, you'll see it. Not only is Peppers good against the pass, he's now one of the better DE's against the run and probably the only one that can drop back into coverage. The problem with the defense is not the players, the the coaching and the playcalling. Mike Trgovac is a joke of a defensive coordinator.
[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Sep 15 2005, 04:06 PM [b] The Front 4 went down the toilet. The whole 4th qtr. we needed the ball, & the d kept letting the saints drive. [/b]
The saints didn't do that well the second half except for the last drive. The defense shut down the run after the first half. Trgovac just can't figure out that giving receivers a 10 yard cushion on a 3rd and 3 play will give them the first down. Soft coverage is what kills us. So did the turnovers and the bad punt which gave them 3 drives inside the 50.