Who saw the brawl in the Det V Indi Game ?

Biggets brawl in NBA history
Artest fouled Ben Wallace hard and then Ben shuffed Artest in the face. Bench’s got up and wot not, then Artest lay on the scores table with his hands behind his head. A fan threw a beer at artest and then artest and stephen jackson went into the crowd and threw punches at everyone. Then it was on for young and old, 20 Pistons fans on the Indi team. As they were leaving 100’s of bottles went flying into the faces of indi staff and players

Got to watch it

I just saw some different shots. After the melee in the stands, at least two fans came on the court to challenge artest and O’neal. Artest drilled one guy and O’Neal layed another out cold. It was ugly.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen anything quite like that. It’ll be fashionable to blame Artest and Wallace here, but I must say that they were provoked to the nth degree. No one should ever have to deal with being physically challenged by fans.

You can never go into the stands. Period. The announcers are really taking up for the players in this one but if Artest does not go into the stands this never escalates.
When Artest went into the stands it became personal and a “us against them attitude” with the remaining fans. I really believe Artest wanted nothing to do with Wallace (his ego/ pride was hurt) and took it out on a 5’ 9" 165 pound man instead.

I can see a few lawsuits coming out of this. Artest jumped the wrong guy when he went into the stands and if that guy had done nothing wrong I can see the attorneys coming in.

The NBA is officially out of control. What a joke.

I just saw the video on ESPN news , worst fight I have ever seen…

Yes the fans were bad, but you NEVER go in the stands…

In my opinion, the NBA is nothing but a league full of thugs.

Ditto…never go into the stands. The media is circling the wagons for the players but that is the bottom line. This never happens if you don’t go in the stands. Verbal abuse and beer cups are not reason enough to go in the stands like that. Artest is looking at 15 games I believe…same with Oneal.

The NBA is one small notch above professional wrestling. To much show and player personality. Bring kids from high school and they will behave like highschoolers. What do you expect from these egotistical uneducated morons? Ironic how Artest got just what he wanted - Time to promote his Rap Album.

VIDEO -CNN

Ive said this in another post but Ill say it here -
I loved it! Greatest moment of any NBA game! Wish these sort of incidents would happen in every game.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Nov 20 2004, 11:52 AM [b] The NBA is one small notch above professional wrestling. To much show and player personality. Bring kids from high school and they will behave like highschoolers. What do you expect from these egotistical uneducated morons? Ironic how Artest got just what he wanted - Time to promote his Rap Album.

Ive said this in another post but Ill say it here -
I loved it! Greatest moment of any NBA game! Wish these sort of incidents would happen in every game. [/b]

I’d rather watch pro wrestling, at least they are honest about the script.

If an idiot fan doesn’t throw a cup at Artest this never escalates. If Artest knows that that was the fan that hit him, I can’t say I blame him for going over and kicking his a**. The fans should not be excused just because they are fans.

I’ll be honest I didn’t have a problem with Artest going into the stands. He’s only human. I mean say a guy just cold cocked you in your face, you’re pissed that you can’t get him back and while you take the high road and walk away someone pelts you with an ince cold beer. Which one of you wouldn’t go to that guy?

I’m not mad at him for doing that, because while he shouldn’t be involved with the stands, fans shouldn’t be involved on the court, and when they threw that cup they were on the court.

The thing was that Artest went to the wrong guy, which will be bad on him. After that I’m not mad at Jackson for helping his teammate out that was getting jumped. And when that fan came out on the court and Artest clocked him, I was glad! Then ONeal clocked the same guy and I’m not mad at that either because the fan and his brother were trying to jump his teammate…

I would do the same for my teammate.

Bottomline, sure suspensions will be handed out but as a coach I WOULD go on record as saying that I don’t knock anything my team did because they were more than provoked, the were threatened. The fans took it a step further when they got physical and threw beers.

i have it on DVR. I have watched it like 20 times. Somewhat disturbing.

Indy… what do you expect from Detroit, I mean damn.

[i]Originally posted by HaltonHooligan[/i]@Nov 20 2004, 01:02 PM [b] If an idiot fan doesn't throw a cup at Artest this never escalates. If Artest knows that that was the fan that hit him, I can't say I blame him for going over and kicking his a**. The fans should not be excused just because they are fans. [/b]
I agree the fan deserves to get a beating, but; 1) i don't think he was SURE that the fan he attacked was the fan that threw it at him
  1. you DON’T go in the stands. If a fan comes on the court then he’s fair game but when you go in the stands you risk getting jumped, getting sued and/or having your career ended.

be the bigger man and walk away, especially when you are someone that kids look up to. just my opinion.

I will agree that if Artest was not 100% sure that he was going after the right fan, then he shouldn’t go into the stands.

Artest was completely out of line. If he hadn’t intentionally hammered Ben Wallace on a meaningless shot, none of this would have happened. Then he taunts Big Ben as he is being restrained knowing full well that Ben Wallace is an emotional timebomb right now. Then when a fan does the right thing and show Artest what a hole he’s acting like, he goes and starts whacking. He was getting exactly what he deserved, a beat down. Stephen Jackson doesn’t need to fight Artest’s fights for him. Artest should be gone for a year minimum. This is unacceptable. If the NBA goes easy on the Pacers I will never ever buy another ticket to an NBA game.

Fan was in the wrong, so was Artest.

Wallace should not even be an issue, that was totally unrelated. Wallace did something stupid and so did Artest there, but not out of line with basketball. Players get into shoving matches, that doesn’t mean that brawls break out.

Now, that fan should never have thrown anything, Artest should have never gone into the crowd. Any pacer who attacked a fan was in the wrong, any fan who attacked a pacer unprovoked (as in, untouched) is wrong.

The whole Pacers’ organization got in on the act, it was disgraceful. Anyone who stands up for the fan or Artest is off base in my opinion. There was no right side in this altercation.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Nov 20 2004, 02:36 PM [b] it was disgraceful. Anyone who stands up for the fan or Artest is off base in my opinion. [/b]
Anyone who stands up for the NBA is off base in my opinion.

biggest problem the nba has is the players union, especially when you have a union that protects thugs that are capable of these types of things. the product would be so much better without that corrupt power in the picture, imagine if the owners and league could really govern these guys, especially with the structure and incentives of the contracts.

this was inevetiable though and the fact it happened in Detroit shouldn’t be a suprise, some nasty people up there. the fans are just as wrong in this case, no excuse for throwing beer, etc. how would you like to be at work and when something goes bad customers are cursing at you and throwing things like beer and ice? its also dumb of the players to attack there customers…although it may improve TV ratings its understandable however they could have a severe backlash with people afraid to go to games, especiallly families.

just caught the instant replay tonight…Clemson vs. South Carolina…

Sad that Lou Holtz’s career would end like that.

I have been to several hundred sporting events and I can’t say I’ve ever had the urge to throw anything, I have a hard time understanding the thought process that anyone would go through to think that was a good idea. Especially a beer that I just spent $8.00 on, what a waste.