Why did Nance only play 6 minutes?

I dont understand his lack of playing time today. Can anyone explain this? Did I miss anything that happened that would cause him to sit on the bench for so long?

Word Chisox…I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that Nance should start over Iti. And if it’s only one game, it should be when Cincy comes here, feb. 5, I don’t see us winning that game if Iti has more minutes then Nance.

He had a couple of turnovers, one really bad one where he got a pass and was wide open for a dunk, but travelled. But, not like Martin or EJ were exactly tearing it up in there. For some reason, Lutz seems to have a short leash for Nance.

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 10:06 PM [b] I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that Nance should start over Iti. And if it's only one game, it should be when Cincy comes here, feb. 5, I don't see us winning that game if Iti has more minutes then Nance. [/b]
I agree 100%

I don’ t think his lack of minutes today had anything to do with his performance, his effort, or any “short leash.”

Coach has admitted in a lot of Post Game interviews that he looks back and can’t believe his own rotations/substitution patterns. But he said it is mostly done based on “feel” and “flow.”

He believes that if a certain lineup has a better “flow” in a particular game, then he tends to stick with it until he has to change it (fouls, fatigue, etc).

I’m sure looking back on it he wishes he got Nance more minutes but during the heat of battle I’m guessing he stuck with the lineup he felt had the best “feel” for the game.

Just an opinion.

K town you make some excellent points. I too have heard Lutz say many times that he “cant believe” certain players only played a few minutes. I know its not that he isnt paying attention, its more that he just goes by instinct and puts in whatever lineup he feels best with at the time. But personally I dont know how you could not feel great about sending Nance out there to battle for some boards and throw down power dunks

Nance > Iti

That’s why he has assistants, to chart stuff like that. I, for one, find it hard to believe that he is unaware of rotations and such

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 11:51 PM [b] That's why he has assistants, to chart stuff like that. I, for one, find it hard to believe that he is unaware of rotations and such [/b]
I especially find it hard to believe he had no idea that Nance had played very little when Iti was out there sucking so bad. We should NEVER pass Iti the ball on offense. If he gets a offensive rebound and puts it back in, great. otherwise DO NOT let him touch the ball. I think you can put any tall stiff we have had in the past (Neely, Bolly, ect.) and give them they same opportunities we have given Martin and they would ALL produce as much if not more.

Iti got booed like Butter did two years ago at University Picassos. In the middle of the booing, Pi and myself looked at each other and laughed.

[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 11:21 PM [b] Iti got booed like Butter did two years ago at University Picassos. In the middle of the booing, Pi and myself looked at each other and laughed. [/b]
Quick question here. I know we have a bunch of Plav bashers and Iti bashers but why would any true fan EVER boo one of our own players. I didn't understand it with Butter and I can understand some of the ill will towards Iti for flirting with leaving...but they are all Niners. They all play for our school. And they all play their asses off for our entertainment.

So what have any of these kids done to deserve to be booed??

Again, Iti’s only problem is his idiot guardian and too much hype out of high school.

I don’t think any of our kids ever deserve to be booed. They are all part on Niner Nation and deserve at least enough respect not to be booed by their own fans.

Just an opinion.

KTown, I concurr

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er+Jan 23 2005, 12:28 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (KTown49er @ Jan 23 2005, 12:28 AM)

whahh whahh

If somebody came up to me and said, “hey we’ll wipe out your student loans if you let 3000 people boo you twice a week for five minutes over the next two years”, I’m sure I could suck it up.

These are grown men, not 8 year olds.

That is iall.

[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 11:21 PM [b] Iti got booed like Butter did two years ago at University Picassos. In the middle of the booing, Pi and myself looked at each other and laughed. [/b]
Yeah, that was pretty damn funny. I believe PI's direct quote was, "That is brutal. That is Butter Johnson brutal."

TF’s most frequently-uttered phrase during the game: DAMN IT, ITI!

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er+Jan 22 2005, 11:31 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jimmyhat49er @ Jan 22 2005, 11:31 PM)
Originally posted by KTown49er@Jan 23 2005, 12:28 AM [b]

Here are some reasons why (maybe I’m wrong).

1. When Lutz signed Iti away from the mosters of CBB, he had tom promise him obscene minutes.

2. Nance has had 2 good games: @ Indiana and @ UAB. The rest were…eh.

3. Lutz is enamored with Iti’s shot blocking, shot intimidating, huge size, soft touch for a stiff, and potential.

4. Well, 4 is just short for

FORTY NINERS

Okay, so 3 reasons I could come up with. This game was the first time that I didn’t want to reach through [TV/upper deck seats] and slap Martin in his ugly Aborigine face. The diff between him and Butter is simple. Martin is still learning the game, and Butter was a head case. By the time Martin’s a Senior (if he lasts) we’ll be singing his praises.

Nance doesn’t play a lot of minutes, and he rebounds really hard the whole time he’s on the court. He may look eh to you, but he does what he’s supposed to do. He Ds up on every position and blocks out. He doesn’t look to be a scorer, but he rarely gets a chance to get into the flow of the game. Besides, we don’t need a scorer in his position, we have 4 other guys who are going to score at least 10 a night.

@UAB he was a monster. He played better in that game than Martin Iti, EJ Drayton, Calvin Clemmons, Tory Reed, etc. has ever played for us all in 18 minutes. 16 and 6 is great for a game, he got it in essentially a half of play. Nance has not played over a half of basketball all season. He’s the best center we’ve had in a while. He deserves a chance to start.

If Lutz would let him get out there and play, and more than 2-3 minutes in a row, he could have really huge nights.

He’s not without flaws, he does turn over the ball a lot, but that comes from less playing time. You let him get out there and play, and they will get the timing down. Less turnovers that way, more points, and an inside presence that will draw a lot of attention away from Curt.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 03:08 AM [b] Nance doesn't play a lot of minutes, and he rebounds really hard the whole time he's on the court.. He Ds up on every position and blocks out. He doesn't look to be a scorer, but he rarely gets a chance to get into the flow of the game. Besides, we don't need a scorer in his position, we have 4 other guys who are going to score at least 10 a night.

[/b]

I’m not downing Nuclear Nance. I agree that he should be our starting center. I think Lutz plays Iti so much for the reasons I gave. I could be wrong, and I could be right. The important thing is that all of us have the good taste to hate the ACC.